Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Even Glocks break...

Quote Originally Posted by echo5charlie View Post
    Ship of Theseus
    Damn near!

But the heart and soul of my G19 is the grip frame.

Yea, it's worn, but it feels like a part of my hand after all this time.

I am seriously considering a Gen 5, and if I do purchase, then it's what I'll have milled, and then retire my (mostly) faithful 19.

Name:  G19 left side frame.jpg
Views: 794
Size:  44.7 KB

Name:  G19 right side frame.jpg
Views: 782
Size:  49.4 KB

Site Supporter
    I'm impressed that someone consistently worked with one pistol for 25 years.

Quote Originally Posted by fixer View Post
    I'm impressed that someone consistently worked with one pistol for 25 years.
    Thank you.
    I'm just loyal I guess. It's been my constant carry companion since the day I got it.

Who knew? I was a dyed in wool 1911 guy...

But like me, it's got a lot of miles on it.

What I'm learning from this that while Glock break they take a very very long time to break and in theory the Gen 5 should take even longer.

Makes me feel good about Glock being my go to.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Whitlock View Post
    I witnessed/diagnosed rear frame rail breakage on a BIA issued Gen3 G22. Checked with Glock (with our inventory list in-hand) and found that 3 more of our guns were in the affected serial number range.......to include one that had recently been in an OIS and the one in my holster!!
    You're still issuing "E" series guns? Those are from 2002/2003ish. Time to upgrade!

I have a G21 that's up around 150,000 rounds. It has 3 serial numbers on it for the slide, barrel and frame. I never broke anything on the slide, but I wore out the barrel and the frame. Glock didn't try to repair anything, just swapped it out. Neither the barrel nor the frame were catastrophic failures, just degrading over time. The barrel didn't have a detectable bulge and only commercial ammo was shot through it. But at some point the rounds started keyholing on paper. The slide rails started peeling out of the frame and it finally got bad enough that I got a new frame. The only other significant breakage I had was the "trigger return spring", I don't recall now what it's called on a Glock. That's the name for the part on a SIG that resets the trigger and if it fails (had it happen) the trigger swings loosely in the trigger guard and the gun is down and nonfunctional. On a Glock, whatever it's called, doesn't cause a complete failure. You can push the trigger forward and manually reset the trigger and continue shooting. It's a pretty manageable problem, although I wouldn't want to try and figure it out for the first time in the middle of a fight.

My PM was kind of erratic. I had to ship it out of state for maintenance and that took it out of pocket for a couple months so I would just get it PM'd occasionally. Invariably they would find a bunch of broken pins inside which I was unaware of because it didn't impact performance in any noticeable way.

Quote Originally Posted by KevH View Post
    You're still issuing "E" series guns? Those are from 2002/2003ish. Time to upgrade!
    This happened around 2011 or so. Yeah, E series. This happened during qualification....2nd round fired....and shooter and pistol had just come from CITP in Glynco. No telling how many rounds that gun had seen, and most likely without any spring replacement or other PM. BIA issued Gen4's the year after.
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Whitlock View Post
    This happened around 2011 or so. Yeah, E series. This happened during qualification....2nd round fired....and shooter and pistol had just come from CITP in Glynco. No telling how many rounds that gun had seen, and most likely without any spring replacement or other PM. BIA issued Gen4's the year after.
    That makes sense. I have a G22 (now my wife's favorite gun) that was an E series. Glock replaced the frame back in 2004 or so with a new frame that had a 1 in front of the E in the serial number. Some years later (probably around 2010ish) an E series G21 broke the frame rail at work and Glock replaced it for free on their end, but the frame had to come through a FFL with a new DROS because of a new serial number. I was just surprised because you don't hear about agency-issued Gen3's still in service that often. Just lots of personally owned guns.

Quote Originally Posted by KevH View Post
    I was just surprised because you don't hear about agency-issued Gen3's still in service that often. Just lots of personally owned guns.
    Don't get me started. Before BIA started issuing the RRA DEA spec guns, my agency's rifles consisted of half a dozen 20" Colt HBARs and 4 ban-compliant Olympic 16" carbines with A2 uppers and a mismash of A1 and A2 parts. And, yes, this was a Fed agency.
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

OK, kind of a drift, but not really...

I got a new Gen 3 slide and a new barrel from Glock (mine was bulged), so my old ass frame 19 is up and running again.
    The chamber on the new barrel is much tighter than my previous barrel...more so than on my 17. The new 19 barrel feeds factory ammo fine (several types) (Most importantly my 147 gr HST's). I can tweak my handloads to accommodate it. No biggie.

Question and input request...and thoughts.

Before I send my 19 slide in to be milled at ATEi I've been giving some thought into picking up a Gen 5 Glock 26.

The previous info and suggestions you folks provided on the Gen 5 Glocks make sense to me. I gave my previous G26 to my son a few years back. So there's a void.

What do you guys and gals think of a Gen 5 G26 milled for a Holosun 509T?

I have plenty of mags. holsters etc to accommodate a 26.

Just really seeking out the group opinion of this combination for my everyday carry role. I know that's a decision for me to make, just looking for any "contra-opinions" if there are any.

FWIW I was carrying my RMR G17 in my usual Dale Fricke AIWB.
    and my suppressor height front sight fell off and got lost in the gravel Sunday... Karmic Debt Shit I suppose.
    New one arrives Saturday according to Ameriglo. <sigh>

TIA

And Happy Thanksgiving!

User Tag List