Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 1911 9mm Question

Site Supporter

1911 9mm Question

Having started my pistol shooting career with a 1911 Government Model as a young Deputy Sheriff I learned the standard (traditional) recoil spring weight for the Government Model 45 ACP is 16#. In a conversation with a guy at my church last Sunday he mentioned that he has a 9mm 1911 and the recoil spring is only 9#.

This caught my interest because I've had to give up semi-auto pistols due to arthritis in my hands and general weakening caused by being 75 years old, preventing me from performing the manual of arms, even with my Glock 19. That said, I would love the chance to take up the 1911 again if I could manage the slide on a 9mm version. Trouble is I can't find any info on what the spring rate is on a 1911 so chambered. Can anyone here inform me or tell me where I might find information on this subject? And yes, my computer search skills are at a minimum. Remember, I said I was 75. LOL

Dave

"I've had to give up semi-auto pistols due to arthritis in my hands and general weakening caused by being 75 years old, preventing me from performing the manual of arms, even with my Glock 19. "

Have you tried S&W's EZ pistols? My brother has one and is quite pleased with the way it works with older hands.
    These include the Shield EZ in 9mm and .380, plus the newer Equalizer.
    Craig
    VCDL, ACLDN, SAF (Life), GOA, NRA (Benefactor Life), USAF Retired
    https://tinyurl.com/craig-trains

I don't think 9 to 11 pounds is out of line for a 9mm shooting general range ammo.

This is kind of simplistic, but in my view there are three basic things that impact the effort required to cycle a 1911 slide:

1) mainspring weight

2) firing pin stop bevel

3) recoil spring weight

If you think about it, the slide is held forward by the recoils spring pressure and the pressure exerted by the hammer at rest against the slide.

Lowering the mainspring weight and beveling the firing pin stop reduce the force required to overcome that mechanical resistance.

I'm going to coffe now, will finish this when I get back, if someone who actually knows something hasn't chimed in.
    Adding nothing to the conversation since 2015....

I think 9lb is on the lighter side for a 9mm 1911 but not unheard of. I believe the compensated Staccato XC uses a 9lb recoil spring, whereas the non-compensated Staccato P has a 13lb spring standard. I seem to recall 15lb was where Todd settled during his Springfield 9mm 1911 test a few years back, but that is certainly on the higher side.

When I was shooting a Wilson 1911 9mm, it came with a conventional 12.5lb spring that I later changed over to a 13lb flat wire after encountering some problems (with good effect).
    "When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

Site Supporter
    For a 5" 9mm I always liked at least an 11# recoil spring.

For a Commander probably a 12-13# recoil spring.

My two Rugers came with what I considered to be very light recoil springs. I changed them, just because it seemed odd to me, but do not recalling them causing any malfunctions before I did. Maybe seek out a Ruger SR1911 in stock someplace that you could handle and see if you could cycle. Seems like mine were so soft that I would think the ability to separately cock the hammer first would make it possible for you to work with it.

Wollf Gunsprings has reduced power, and ultra low power calibration packs, that would be inexpensive to do some testing.

ETA:
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave T View Post
    In a conversation with a guy at my church last Sunday he mentioned that he has a 9mm 1911 and the recoil spring is only 9#.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Lehr View Post
    Additionally, you can reduce the effort required to hand cycle the slide by thumb cocking the pistol before you cycle the slide to load it.
    I sure think if you had an opportunity to meet up with your buddy from church to test this out you would probably be pleased.
    Last edited by mmc45414; 10-14-2023 at 01:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Lehr View Post
    I don't think 9 to 11 pounds is out of line for a 9mm shooting general range ammo.

This is kind of simplistic, but in my view there are three basic things that impact the effort required to cycle a 1911 slide:

1) mainspring weight

2) firing pin stop bevel

3) recoil spring weight

If you think about it, the slide is held forward by the recoils spring pressure and the pressure exerted by the hammer at rest against the slide.

Lowering the mainspring weight and beveling the firing pin stop reduce the force required to overcome that mechanical resistance.

I'm going to coffee now, will finish this when I get back, if someone who actually knows something hasn't chimed in.
    Continuing on here, I think 9 to 11 would work with general 115gr 9mm range ammo. Stock Colt is 14lbs, I think that probably works with ammo across a broader range.

A heavier/to heavy recoil spring is likely to cause muzzle dip as the slide goes into battery. A lighter/too light recoil spring has the opposite effect, to much muzzle flip. Ideally you want to be as flat shooting as possible with 100% reliability.

You can tune the pistol to the ammo you are shooting by getting a recoil tuning pak from Wolff Gunsprings https://www.gunsprings.com/COLT/1911.../mID1/dID1#799

Recoil Calibration Paks
    Recoil calibration paks are offered to allow the shooter a choice of recoil springs to calibrate the recoil function when the correct spring rating is not known. These paks offer a savings of 20% over the same purchase of individual springs. The shooter starts with the strongest spring in the pak and works down until the desired recoil function is obtained.

Stock No. 13112 - Reduced Power Pak - Conventional
    This pak contains 1 each of 11, 12, 13, 14, & 15 Lb. reduced power conventional recoil springs and 3 extra power firing pin springs.

Stock No. 13115 - Reduced Power Pak - RP Variable
    This pak contains 1 each of 16.5 Lb factory standard spring, 9, 10, 11, 13, 14, & 15 Lb. reduced power variable recoil springs. 3 extra power firing pin springs also included.

Additionally, you can reduce the effort required to hand cycle the slide by thumb cocking the pistol beofre you cycle the slide to load it.
    Adding nothing to the conversation since 2015....

I have a Springfield 5" Ronin 9mm. According to Springfield Customer Service, it came from the factory with a 9lb recoil spring. With that spring, the slide just felt very sluggish as it returned to battery. It now has a 14lb Wolff spring, and no longer feels sluggish. I always shoot 147gr factory ammo in it, either Lawman or American Eagle as training/practice ammo, and Federal P9HST2 standard pressure as carry ammo, and it is very reliable. I can't remember how far it throws brass now, but IIRC it threw brass about 10-15 ft when it had the 9lb spring.

I don't know what wt. mainspring SA uses in these guns, but mine still has the OEM one in it.

Quote Originally Posted by oldtexan View Post
    I have a Springfield 5" Ronin 9mm. According to Springfield Customer Service, it came from the factory with a 9lb recoil spring. With that spring, the slide just felt very sluggish as it returned to battery. It now has a 14lb Wolff spring, and no longer feels sluggish. I always shoot 147gr factory ammo in it, either Lawman or American Eagle as training/practice ammo, and Federal P9HST2 standard pressure as carry ammo, and it is very reliable. I can't remember how far it throws brass now, but IIRC it threw brass about 10-15 ft when it had the 9lb spring.

I don't know what wt. mainspring SA uses in these guns, but mine still has the OEM one in it.
    I switched to a Springfield Loaded in 9mm back in 2004 to save money on ammo, long before the cool kids discovered that 9mm 1911s shoot like .22s and they are awesome. I fired my first few thousand rounds with the factory original 9# spring, but I recall switching to 11# after that for the next 30K rounds or so before I stopped shooting it in matches and training. I don't recall why I went with an increased spring rate, but I never had reliability issues. The only annoying thing was that I never discovered the secret for that particular gun to lock the slide on empty mags.

Some years ago, when the wife and I were on one of our road trips, we stopped by Berryville and visited Wilson. Talked to them a good while, looked at several in-stock guns, and decided I "needed" something other than another .45. The Wilson guy (really nice, wish I could remember his name) suggested a 9mm, and then specifically said a 5" all steel one. I looked at one, and bought it there (well, it was delivered to my FFL).

I still remember the first shot on the first trip to the range. Practically no recoil; all that steel soaked it right up. Very soft shooting.

To the question, Wilson suggested I shoot the first box or so with a 10-lb spring, and then go with an 11- or maybe 12-lb spring after it smoothed out. It's strictly a range gun for me (did I mention heavy), but mine works great with the 11-lb spring (no signs of battering), and is accurate and reliable. In fact, I'd say it's as, if not a bit more, reliable than my .45 1911s.

User Tag List