Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 1911 9mm Question

As noted above, compensated 9x19 1911-pattern pistols can have recoil spring rates as low as 7#. The comp is not a free lunch as muzzle blast and ejecta are issues. If those are not a concern, a comped 9x19 1911 or 2011 will provide an easy to rack slide.

All steel government model, Caspian slide and frame, I have been running a 19# hammer spring and a 10# recoil spring from the start.

Replace the recoil spring every 3K rounds approximately and the hammer spring I intend to replace very 5-6K rounds.

Zero problems, no slide lag or slow cycling, no signs of unusual wear, I am about 5K rounds into the gun. All standard pressure ammo, no +P or Nato spec stuff for this gun.

So one more data point.
    Support the Second Amendment Foundation and the Firearms Policy Coalition, join and give!

Site Supporter
    Thanks again for the additional feedback. All of it is appreciated.

My problem isn't managing recoil. I can comfortably shoot my old birth year (1948) Government Model in 45 ACP. What I can no longer do is perform the manual of arms, particularly locking the slide open to show "clear". A number of years ago I decided to switch to DA revolvers as that was how I started my LEO career and I can easily perform the complete manual of arms with a revolver. My current carry gun is a 386 NG. I had the 7-shot cylinder cut for Moonclips by TK Custom. My carry ammo is Buffalo Bore Heavy 38 Special +P, 158g SWHP-GC and my practice ammunition is a duplicate of the old 38-44 Heavy Duty cartridge which the Buffalo Bore ammo duplicates.

I looked at the S&W "EZ Shield" and it just didn't fit my hand...at all. I have spent so many years and thousands of rounds of ammunition becoming comfortable and proficient with the 1911, getting back to that old and familiar platform would be nice. The idea of a 9mm 1911 sounded promising, hence my inquiry. But, if I can't manage clearing and making the gun safe I'll stay with the DA revolver.

Dave

Dave, I don't know if you intended to go this far, but an optic makes manipulating the slide alot easier. Also, can you cock the hammer back first, before trying to move the slide?

Dave, I'm in the same boat. The 9mm version of the 1911 might work for you. For years, I routinely used 16# recoil springs in 5" 9mm 1911s, and 16-18 1/2# in .45s, 38 Supers, etc. But, a couple of my 9mm 1911s, an STI and Dan Wesson, both came with factory 10# recoil springs. VERY easy to rack. Now days, for the same reasons you mention, I use 14# recoil springs in the 9s. But, I mostly use 9mm NATO for general range target/plinking ammo. Most people don't. I'd expect the 10# recoil springs would work just fine for most. In my dotage, I shoot a lot more 9mm in 1911s than any of the more energetic calibers..

Quote Originally Posted by Dave T View Post
    Thanks again for the additional feedback. All of it is appreciated.

My problem isn't managing recoil. I can comfortably shoot my old birth year (1948) Government Model in 45 ACP. What I can no longer do is perform the manual of arms, particularly locking the slide open to show "clear". A number of years ago I decided to switch to DA revolvers as that was how I started my LEO career and I can easily perform the complete manual of arms with a revolver. My current carry gun is a 386 NG. I had the 7-shot cylinder cut for Moonclips by TK Custom. My carry ammo is Buffalo Bore Heavy 38 Special +P, 158g SWHP-GC and my practice ammunition is a duplicate of the old 38-44 Heavy Duty cartridge which the Buffalo Bore ammo duplicates.

I looked at the S&W "EZ Shield" and it just didn't fit my hand...at all. I have spent so many years and thousands of rounds of ammunition becoming comfortable and proficient with the 1911, getting back to that old and familiar platform would be nice. The idea of a 9mm 1911 sounded promising, hence my inquiry. But, if I can't manage clearing and making the gun safe I'll stay with the DA revolver.

Dave
    Hi, Dave:

What is the actual problem point when you try to rack the slide? Is it a grip strength issue or something else? What method do you use to rack the slide?

It's possible that changing your technique for racking the slide could help you significantly, whether you find a gun with an easier slide to rack or not. With the right technique, a lot of people who thought they could not rack the slide find that they can, whether it's a strength or pain issue or both.

I've found that a significant number of people, including some very experienced shooters and excellent marksmen, have never tried holding the slide stationary close to their body using their palm and four fingers (not a finger and thumb) of their support and then use the entire arm/shoulder/chest of their firing hand to push the frame away from the body. It minimizes the use of finger strength on the hand holding the slide and uses multiple bigger and stronger muscles to do the actual work rather than pinching the slide and pulling it toward while holding the grip/frame stationary.

Site Supporter
    After three pages of advice and opinions (all of which I appreciated) I thought I should report the end result...for now.

Like every place in the country there are plus and minus features to my living in Mesa, AZ. One plus when it comes to guns is it is the home of CZ Custom. I heard they had the DWX Compact in stock so the next chance I had I wandered down that direction to have a look at this CZ-75/1911 hybrid from Dan Wesson. When the friendly guy behind the counter handed me the display model I lowered the slide then tried to lock it open with my old, arthritic hands. Took about three tries but I did manage it. While I talked with him and asked more questions I managed to lock the slide back a couple more times.

I was impressed with the guns build, fit, and finish. The single action trigger, although heavy at 5# and a bit more broke clean enough it seemed like heaven to this old 1911 shooter. Particularly compared to the Glocks and DA revolvers I've shot for the last 5-6 years. When I asked about magazine availability they told me the CZ-75 Compact mags work fine with a change of base plates. I chewed on that while I managed to lock the slide back one more time then said "I'll take it." After the usual paperwork, them changing base plates on a couple spare mags, and of course the obligatory passing of the plastic, the DWX Compact was headed home.

I'm not going to go shoot this in the unseasonably warm weather we're having (103 today and tomorrow) but it's finally supposed to be in the 80s next week which means a trip to the range to see if this thing works.

Dave

You are going to love the DWX compact.
    I found that I didn't like the stubby thumb safety on it so I replaced it with a regular safety. Unfortunately it is not a standard 1911 safety so you have to get one from CZ. Fortunately they aren't unreasonably priced.
    https://shop.cz-usa.com/dwx0037.html

Site Supporter
    Ichiban,

Have you found a holster for your DWX Compact? I be interested in a Kydex IWB style if there's anything available this soon.

Dave

Not many options at this time. One manufacturer told me that, as of a month ago, no form guns had been manufactured. I think some kydex benders are finding something close and calling it good.

ANR seems to pop up consistently when I do a google search.

https://www.anrkydexholsters.com/pro...dix-with-claw/

User Tag List