Thread: Bring Enough Light II

Bring Enough Light II

Another interesting Lego;

Build Details

Critical Specs;

• 1,000 lumens / 30,000 cd (no thermal limiting output reduction)
    • AOL = 5.5"
    • Head diameter = 1.8"
    • Weight with 18650 cell = 9.4 ounces
    • Fuel: 18650 IMR flat top

Commentary

The Malkoff Wildcat head produces 1,000 lumens. It features a 10-degree TIR optic and a 10-degree interchangeable diffuser which produces a broad, smooth low-candela (5k cd) flood beam. Removing the diffuser greatly changes the beam's characteristics, focusing the beam into a 35k cd spot pattern. Installing the 1-degree diffuser used in the Hound Dog XP-L smooths the beam and only slightly reduces the candela to 30k.

I'm using the light pictured above with the 1-degree diffuser. I find the 1,000 lumen / 30k cd beam it produces nicely balanced for outdoor use: a wide, 35k cd bright corona that transitions smoothly into a wide spill. The head also features a high/low bezel switch, producing a very useful 65 - 75 lumens on low.

The light as pictured with the grip ring works superbly with a syringe grip and balances nicely when used with the Rogers-Surefire technique.

Though I would not characterize this Lego as an EDC light, it drops into a jacket or cargo pants pocket with little fuss. If I need to bring more light, that's exactly what I do.

This light can be built to order, contact me via PM for details.
    Last edited by NH Shooter; 10-13-2023 at 03:23 PM.
    EDC Light Builder | No Nonsense Everyday Carry Flashlights | EDC Light Builder P-F Sub-forum

Because this head uses an interchangeable diffuser behind the protection lens that is easy to change, modifying the beam characteristics is easy.

The diffusers come in three strengths;

• 10-degree: this produces a wide, even flood beam (5,000 cd) with no rings are artifacts
    • 5-degree: an excellent blend of wide hot spot (20,000 cd) smoothly transitioning into a wide spill with no rings or artifacts
    • 1-degree: produces a wide spot pattern (30,000 cd) with adequate spill. Rings in the beam pattern are present if you look for them.

I'm really liking the beam pattern with the 5-degree diffuser - it's wide 20k cd hot spot provides enough punch for outdoor settings and the wide spill is more than adequate for maintaining SA out to the edges.
    EDC Light Builder | No Nonsense Everyday Carry Flashlights | EDC Light Builder P-F Sub-forum

User Tag List