Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Stepped Into a S&W Model 19-3 6”

Stepped Into a S&W Model 19-3 6”

I walked into the LGS/range this afternoon with my wife, and they seemed to be waiting. The revolver is spectacularly preserved, and dead nuts at 25 yards! It would seem someone lightened the single action quite a bit, but it doesn’t have push off. DA is light, but it set off Norma .38 and Remington Golden Saber +P rounds. I can easily shoot it DA until I find a need for SA.

Name:  IMG_1627.jpg
Views: 587
Size:  25.9 KB

Prior to cleaning out what appeared to be Vaseline
    Name:  IMG_1623.jpg
Views: 591
Size:  35.3 KB

Does the sear nose look mucked up?
    Name:  IMG_1622.jpg
Views: 580
Size:  22.4 KB

What’s this screw do?
    Name:  IMG_1621.jpg
Views: 573
Size:  35.7 KB
    Last edited by FrankB; 10-12-2023 at 07:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by FrankB View Post

What’s this screw do?
    Name:  IMG_1621.jpg
Views: 573
Size:  35.7 KB
    Congratulations.

Maybe the screw holds the trigger stop.

The 6'' 19's are lasers. I have a -6 that I purchased new. I had a neighbor who was a very good revolver shooter. We were shooting clays at about 75 yds. in a gravel pit years ago. I was able to break them about half the time. I recall he rarely missed any of them. He tried for years to trade me out of that revolver but I still have it, along with a 19-3 with a 2.5'' barrel. That one shoots exceptionally well also. The 19 and 66 are probably the best revolvers S&W ever built until they lost their minds.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

That is a trigger stop screw. The trigger stop on K frame S&W revolvers was a hardened tab, fitted into a slot at the rear of the trigger guard. It was supposed to stop over travel on target triggers. The trigger stop screw held the stop in place.

That slot was cut into K frames that were fitted with adjustable sights, and not normally found on frames for fixed sight service revolvers.

With the wrong combination of wear and tear, dirt and oil, the trigger stop could loosen, shift forward, and prevent the trigger from being pulled far enough to the rear to fire. If you were worried about this rare malfunction, you could remove the trigger stop, leaving the screw in place to plug that hole.

That little shim is the trigger stop. Back when I was first getting into LE (1976), S&W issued a memo suggesting that LE officers using the revolver remove that shim as a pro-active measure. As things can go wrong at the most inopportune time, it was viewed as one less thing to go wrong by its removal. That is a nice revolver you got there! If I only knew then what I know now, I'd have stocked up with the K, L, and N frame S&W revolvers. Hindsight is so 20/20. My very first revolver was a S&W model 19 2.5" barrel, blue. To this day I lust over that lost love.

More Specifics:
    B/C Gap is .005! ❤️
    Zero Endshake
    DA trigger pull: 7#
    SA after adding a 15# rebound spring: 2lbs 8oz very consistently. It was 1 lb 8 Oz when I bought it, and a little scary.
    I paid $675 OTD.

More Specifics:
    B/C Gap is .005! ❤️
    Zero Endshake
    SA after adding a 15# rebound spring: 2lbs 8oz very consistently. It was 1 lb 8 Oz when I bought it, and a little scary.
    I paid $675 OTD.
    Looks like youve got a winner.

As for the overtravel stop, its been a while since I looked at them carefully, I believe they were supposed to rotate somewhat on an eccentric pivot, then clamped in the desired position with the screw. Its fine as a target gun. I vaguely recall someone long ago mentioning that it can be rotated to its furthest extended point, filed to fit, then clamped with the screw. It can then function as intended but cant cause trouble after that.

I believe the screw is also the same as holds the front end of the rear sight in place, leaving it in even with the stop removed gives a spare on board with no downside.

The super light pull sounded like replacing the return spring was a best first step. Ive got a bunch from a gunsmith that did pistol action jobs and replaced them with something lighter from aftermarket spring sources.I guess I have some sort of personality disorder, I like procuring parts, factory standard for the most part.
    “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

More Specifics:
    B/C Gap is .005! ❤️
    Zero Endshake
    I paid $675 OTD.
    I bet you can't do that again.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Site Supporter
    Dibs for when he decides to sell it in six months.

Site Supporter
    More Specifics:
    B/C Gap is .005! ❤️
    Zero Endshake
    I paid $675 OTD.
    CONGRATS on the GREAT pick-up & GREAT Price! At the original SA
    Trigger Pull weight, I would estimate that the now-replaced Rebound Spring
    was right at 11 pounds, which is fine IF you like a light SA Pull & don't
    mind a sluggish Trigger Return in DA mode.
    In my experience, the only way that that light a Rebound Spring gives
    adequate Trigger Return in DA shooting is if someone who
    REALLY knows their business has smoothed the internals, especially
    the Rebound Slide and the Rebound Slide/Trigger interface...

User Tag List