Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Which factory extended mags do you trust?

Which factory extended mags do you trust?

Some comments in the LAPD bans them thread got me thinking about this. I would not trust my Taylor Freelance or other +5 or +6 magazine extensions for raceguns as "street worthy" or something I would put in a defensive firearm, home or even the reload for a concealed gun. But on the other hand, there are some factory or aftermarket extended magazines I do trust in a defensive firearm.

Curious as to what others here think belongs (or not) on that list of factory extended mags that are satisfactory for duty or self defense use.

Based on my personal range experiences with them, lack of any malfunctions, I WOULD TRUST

Mec-gar +2 factory extended mags for P226, P229
    Sig factory 21 round mags for the P320/250 9mm platforms
    Beretta PX4 20 round 9mm magazines
    Glock +2 extensions for their 9mm magazines (unless they were frequently getting dumped on the concrete in that use case)
    HK full metal lined versions of the Jet Funnel mags for the USP 9mm
    HK factory 20 round 9mm mags for the P30 (also fit the P2000, VP9, USP/c)
    Support the Second Amendment Foundation and the Firearms Policy Coalition, join and give!

I'd limit the Sig P320 magazines to pistols with a full-size grip. If it's a compact or sub-compact grip module, over insertion is a possibility.
    • It's not the odds, it's the stakes.
    • If you aren't dry practicing every week, you're not serious.....
    • "Tache-Psyche Effect - a polite way of saying 'You suck.' " - GG

Site Supporter
    None based on the OEM +2 Glocks I have used and the 10 Round Wilsons for a 1911.

My sample group is admittedly small and 20 + years old

I actually run 8 in a 1911 using a purpose designed 8 rd mag ( Wilson ETM) in .45 1911s and I down my G17/19/22/23 mags by one.

Of course I download 2 on a magpul mag for an AR as well.

Color me crazy I know given the statistical likelihood of having to reload at all, let alone on a full chamber.

YMMV greatly.
    I am not your attorney. I am not giving legal advice. Any and all opinions expressed are personal and my own and are not those of any employer-past, present or future.

From personal experience, Glock 33 round 9mms and Beretta 30 round 92 magazines, but I would probably tend to trust any extended duty mag from either of those companies.

I have not had any issues with the HK 16 round USP .40 mags, though I'm told those are not duty mags for some reason.

I am skeptical in general about just throwing on a +2 to a factory mag, though Glock probably does that for 12 round or 19 round mags.

I believe Mesa PD approved the Henning 140mm base pads for Glock 17 mags.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

The CZ OEM +2 bases for P07 are good. But I’ve put 1000s of rounds through P07s from 23 round 140mm Shadow2 mags (CZ75 format) without issues (other than not locking back on empty).
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Beretta 92/M9-Mec-gar 20rd (+2), Beretta 20rd.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Site Supporter
    Glock 33, 24, and 19-round 9mm mags are good in my experience.

ETA: I’ve also had one trouble-free 22-round .40 Glock mag.
    Last edited by Le Français; 10-11-2023 at 04:16 PM.

I’ve never had an issue with the 22 round .40 factory Glock mags. Wilson makes nifty 15 round mags for the EDC X9s that prevent over-insertion and give a good place for the little finger to hang out -you do have to be more aware of printing. I would have never carried an add on or +2 for duty use just out of concerns for their ruggedness.
    -All views expressed are those of the author and do not reflect those of the author's employer-

Quote Originally Posted by fatdog View Post
    Some comments in the LAPD bans them thread got me thinking about this. I would not trust my Taylor Freelance or other +5 or +6 magazine extensions for raceguns as "street worthy" or something I would put in a defensive firearm, home or even the reload for a concealed gun. But on the other hand, there are some factory or aftermarket extended magazines I do trust in a defensive firearm.
    Why would you not trust the TF extensions?

User Tag List