Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Which factory extended mags do you trust?

For the discussion, I make a distinction between a magazine body with an extension attached such as a +2/3/4/etc, and a purpose-built elongated single piece magazine body with a standard floorplate and unique spring such as 21/22/24/33rd mag. Comparably more issues with the former than the latter, but both serviceable.

No problems with Glock +2s, 22, 24, or 31/33.
    Same for 21rd M17/18.
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Quote Originally Posted by ST911 View Post
    For the discussion, I make a distinction between a magazine body with an extension attached such as a +2/3/4/etc, and a purpose-built elongated single piece magazine body with a standard floorplate and unique spring such as 21/22/24/33rd mag. Comparably more issues with the former than the latter, but both serviceable.

No problems with Glock +2s, 22, 24, or 31/33.
    Same for 21rd M17/18.
    Good point regarding the Sig 21 round mags. They aren’t extended in the same way that a Glock 12, 19, or 33 round mag is extended.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

From personal experience:

MecGar 20 rd 226/229/Beretta 92 mags
    Glock 24 rd 9mm

I know this isn’t universally agreed upon, but I’ve got thousands of rounds through Magpul 21 round and 27 round mags without issue as long as I use brass or nickel ammo. Since all my carry and practice ammo at work is brass or nickel I’m not concerned.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by fatdog View Post
    Some comments in the LAPD bans them thread got me thinking about this. I would not trust my Taylor Freelance or other +5 or +6 magazine extensions for raceguns as "street worthy" or something I would put in a defensive firearm, home or even the reload for a concealed gun.
    Counterpoint: Between 2020 and 2022, I put approximately 33,512 rounds through a set of 16 Taylor Freelance Border Special-equipped HK VP9 magazines. I did replace all of the springs in early 2022 when I started getting intermittent failures to lock the slide to the rear on a few of those magazines. The magazines were dedicated to training use and got dropped a lot on a variety of surfaces. Aside from the spring wear, I had zero issues with them.

Anecdotally, I know of a member over on LF who had a TF extension unexpectedly come off one of his VP9 mags, but I don't know what kind of round count he had on it or how meticulous he was in installing the extension (e.g. threadlocker, surface prep, etc.). Personally, I would have no qualms with TF extensions on VP9/P30 mags (and the spare mag I carried while I was doing the VP9 thing had a TF extension on it). If memory serves, those extensions were used by BORTAC, and I would like to think that unit wouldn't field something of questionable reliability ( @TCB please correct me if I'm off-base).

I’ve been training and carrying Zev glock extensions with 11 coil springs for about 5 years. My originals are dry fire mags that are beat to hell and they still work. The mag body will give up eventually. In my case it was after thousands of drops on concrete.

One detail is that loading them to 22 rounds and dropping full mags on concrete will eventually cause the bottom of the follower to snap off.

I’m basically a Glock user, so:

No issues over 20+ years with factory 9mm mags, to include 17,19,24 and 33 round mags. I’ve used a 33 rounder for example, in a G26 and it functioned at some outlaw steel matches in Norco, CA, “back in the day”. I routinely run a 17 or 19 round mag as a reload in 17, 19 and 26 frames. My issue with the 24 round and larger mags is they don’t carry well casually concealed. On a vest or duty belt, ok. I routinely carry a 12 round mag in a 26 and have had no issues over the years.
    The 16 and 22 round .40 mags never malfunctioned in my limited experience with them.
    I’ve had Arredondo and Taran Tactical extensions in competition-again no issues. I won’t carry them seriously as I believe a blow could “pop” them off the mag body and one loses all the rounds except the chambered ones.
    Vickers have worked ok on 43 mags, but I tend to use the flat mags for max concealability.
    Wilson 10 round mags worked in the few rounds I’ve put through them(.45 acp). And I’ve heard good reports on extended Beretta mags-reference Ayoob.
    I’d carry any new Glock double stack mag in a Glock with little hesitation. If I had the opportunity, I’d run a new one once at capacity, but I wouldn’t obsess over it.

Quote Originally Posted by MD7305 View Post
    I bought 3 of these at the beginning of the summer. So far I've ran them through a Sage Dynamics class, a couple multiple day work related trainings, and various personal range days. I can't really estimate a total round count, probably 2-3k rounds? The mags have been flawless.
    Thanks for this info, I will probably pick up more of them.

Mec-gar/Sig +2 (P229R)
    Beretta PX4 and APX
    Glock

I've been using Arredondo +5 basepads/springs in my duty M&P 2.0 and they've been working great.
    For he is the minister of God to thee for good. But if thou do that which is evil, be afraid; for he beareth not the sword in vain: for he is the minister of God, a revenger to execute wrath upon him that doeth evil. Romans 13:4 KJV

Quote Originally Posted by fatdog View Post
    ...Based on my personal range experiences with them, lack of any malfunctions, I WOULD TRUST...

Glock +2 extensions for their 9mm magazines (unless they were frequently getting dumped on the concrete in that use case)...
    The 12-round Glock 26 mags are very reliable, although the Hornady 100 gr. Critical Defense Lite would not feed consistently through one of mine.

I bought a couple boxes just for reliability testing and comparing recoil.

They fed fine through the 10 round mags. When I loaded the gun with 12+1 I had 3 failures to feed.

The 12-round mags work with regular 115 gr Critical Defense, American Eagle Suppressor 124 FMJ, Federal Guard Dog 105 EFMJ, and every hollow-point I have tried including Federal 135 gr. Hydra-Shok Low Recoil. My carry load is Winchester 147 gr. bonded.

Quote Originally Posted by Velo Dog View Post
    The 12-round Glock 26 mags are very reliable, although the Hornady 100 gr. Critical Defense Lite would not feed consistently through one of mine.

I bought a couple boxes just for reliability testing and comparing recoil.

They fed fine through the 10 round mags. When I loaded the gun with 12+1 I had 3 failures to feed.

The 12-round mags work with regular 115 gr Critical Defense, American Eagle Suppressor 124 FMJ, Federal Guard Dog 105 EFMJ, and every hollow-point I have tried including Federal 135 gr. Hydra-Shok Low Recoil. My carry load is Winchester 147 gr. bonded.
    Respectfully, the problem with the CD Lite might be that round is just barely outside the envelope with the combo of gun, mag and ammo. I appreciate the other ammo reports though. My usual carry ammo is Hornady duty 125+P in the shorter barrels, although I've run the 135 + Hornady in a 43X and it functions.
    I just checked my Armorer notes and the 10 round G26 runs a 9coil spring,#33509, and I believe I used the same w/the +base plate&insert. There are 10 coil and 11 coil springs for the 17&19 round mags respectively.
    I also jumped on here to add I've been shooting a couple of Grip Force EBP base plates(+5) on a 19 and 17 mag-designed by Bill Rogers. No problems. The springs are different lengths.

User Tag List