Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Looking for some gloves

Quote Originally Posted by Suvorov View Post
    I have found the problem with truly waterproof gloves (like neoprene or latex) is that your hands will still get wet due to sweat, especially if you are exerting yourself. Once exposed to the cold that sweat will still make your hands cold. My experience is that if you are in truly wet conditions for extended periods of time there is no way to keep your hands dry and thus that makes keeping your core warm all the more important. I have always favored a light glove or liner made from wool or a wicking synthetic (nomax civic/flight gloves, wool GI liners) that will still provide insulation even when wet, and then a shell glove over it that can quickly be pulled off if needed.
    Wetsuit material isn’t waterproof.

That’s a dry suit.

It just has a layer that still communicates but insulates.

Quote Originally Posted by jeep45238 View Post
    Having done nitrile inside of gloves for several years in forestry work for shift work, your hands will be wet, from your own sweat, but warm. Sometimes wet, unexposed is better than dry and semi-exposed.
    You can also remove the nitrile layer and discard a lot of the sweat with it when switching tasks while keeping your gloves dry and unfrozen (or less frozen).

For winter I just train to take off the drawing hand glove when my SA starts to tingle or rip it off and drop it just B4 I draw if the situation turns bad real fast. Its so much easier and cheaper than trying to find gloves or draw with thicker winter gloves. I would rather reduce variables than add one more to the equation...

Quote Originally Posted by Chewbacca10 View Post
    Winter is not far away. The current gloves that I use are not fitted well in the fingers and make shooting difficult. I’m looking for some others that I can wear around everyday without looking too tacticool that will still allow me to draw and fire my P30SK (EDC). I’m in the Midwest, so we have temperatures in the teens over winter, so something decently warm that still allows for dexterity would be great. I’m willing to pay for quality, especially if the gloves are made here.
    What’s the intended purpose of the gloves (primary use), how long will you be wearing them while carrying?

For example - traveling through an urban area using public transit all day, or using them to brush snow off your car and then to pump gas, jogging/active walking for exercise, hanging out at the local sledding hill w/ your family, wearing them in a suit/buisness attire?

Gloves are tools, right tool for the right job while understanding its limitations. Living in Alaska I have quite a few pair. If I’m moving through transitional spaces, parking lots, gas stations, etc - I don’t wear any and keep my hands warm in my coat pockets.

My personal preference is to wear an easily removable gauntlet style glove vs something tight.

If the gloves I’m wearing are bulky - that variable goes into my OODA loop.

If I had to wear dressier suit/business gloves I’d definitely make sure I can get a good grip and trigger finger fits in the trigger guard. Maybe something with thin wool or wind stopper fabric and leather palm…ala arxteryx, Patagonia, OR, etc, the winter golf gloves look interesting, or a winter set of Newmans (football gloves) if they’re still made.

The absolute best gloves I've found for general-purpose cold wet weather is military D3A leather shell gloves with the olive drab wool liner gloves.

The leather protects hands from windchill and the wool liner gloves keep your hands warm when wet.

I like them because if I have to take the gloves off and on throughout the day, they don't stick to my hands and turn inside out when you take them off, and they aren't difficult to remove, unlike many other gloves.

Quote Originally Posted by KneeShot View Post
    What’s the intended purpose of the gloves (primary use), how long will you be wearing them while carrying?
    I walk several times a day and would be wearing them most frequently for that and hiking. If snow is a factor, I have other gloves for that, but they're too bulky for every day.

Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post
    The Callaway winter gloves I linked are like neoprene and act like a wetsuit. I use them as my rain gloves.
    I could live with neoprene. I have some gloves for duck hunting made from that. If you keep them submerged, they definitely will get wet, but they're pretty good to some exposure to the elements.

The 95% answer is Outdoor Research.
    As was described earlier, gloves are tools. OR is the SnapOn Tools of gloves. And you pay for that.
    Generally I have a liner glove and heavier over gloves for extended outside wear.
    For normal running around town, their Storm Tracker gloves are my main wear. You can manipulate a pistol or rifle in them, but your hands will eventually get cold.

Prior to going with OR, I used the Kangaroo Leather gloves from Cabelas. Decent fit, decent ability to manipulate and durable but you will also get cold over time. Before that, I used numerous types of winter golf gloves, and I still a keep a well worn pair in my shooting bag.

User Tag List