Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Looking for some gloves

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    I’ve found that the key to keeping my hands and feet warm is keeping my core warm. That means head cover, thermal undershirt and pants, and good coat. No amount of insulation on the hands (or feet) will keep them warm if my core gets cold, and with a properly insulated core I can get by with lighter gloves that enable hand dexterity in all but the harshest conditions. I would go with my polypropylene long John’s and Mechanix gloves over heavy gloves any (cold) day of the week.

Are there any warm waterproof gloves with decent dexterity?

Trading in the rain with soaked mechanics gloves is not good.
    Are you loyal to the constitution or the “institution”?

Quote Originally Posted by Super77 View Post
    The SKD PIG gloves are the best I’ve used. They make a non-tactical looking pair called the Executive out of leather that’s really nice. There’s also a cold weather specific pair. They’re well made, thoughtfully designed, and work well for shooting without looking Timmy when you’re out walking the dog.

https://skdtac.com/apparel/gloves/
    I second the PiGs. I'm very picky about gloves and went many years without winter gloves or lightweight work gloves because I hated the fit and feel of so many. The Pigs are great and affordable.
    "It was the fuck aroundest of times, it was the find outest of times."- 45dotACP

Quote Originally Posted by Joe S View Post
    I second the PiGs. I'm very picky about gloves and went many years without winter gloves or lightweight work gloves because I hated the fit and feel of so many. The Pigs are great and affordable.
    No experience with the PIGs, but FWIW SKD has a 15% off sitewide going today, gloves included.

If looking for extra warmth in a pair of gloves I've had good luck using silk gloves liners. I've also the chemical hand or toe warmers, and.put them in the gloves so they rest on the back of the hand. It adds heat without interfering with grip.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Blackburn View Post

Nitrile/latex gloves underneath your exterior gloves helps tremendously.

I’ll add an additional recommendation for the PiG gloves. Excellent price IMO and helps retain dexterity without being cumbersome.
    “Conspiracy theories are just spoiler alerts these days.”

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Blackburn View Post

Quote Originally Posted by jeep45238 View Post
    The Callaway winter gloves I linked are like neoprene and act like a wetsuit. I use them as my rain gloves.

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    Quote Originally Posted by jeep45238 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post
    The Callaway winter gloves I linked are like neoprene and act like a wetsuit. I use them as my rain gloves.
    I have found the problem with truly waterproof gloves (like neoprene or latex) is that your hands will still get wet due to sweat, especially if you are exerting yourself. Once exposed to the cold that sweat will still make your hands cold. My experience is that if you are in truly wet conditions for extended periods of time there is no way to keep your hands dry and thus that makes keeping your core warm all the more important. I have always favored a light glove or liner made from wool or a wicking synthetic (nomax civic/flight gloves, wool GI liners) that will still provide insulation even when wet, and then a shell glove over it that can quickly be pulled off if needed.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Suvorov View Post
    I have found the problem with truly waterproof gloves (like neoprene or latex) is that your hands will still get wet due to sweat, especially if you are exerting yourself. Once exposed to the cold that sweat will still make your hands cold. My experience is that if you are in truly wet conditions for extended periods of time there is no way to keep your hands dry and thus that makes keeping your core warm all the more important. I have always favored a light glove or liner made from wool or a wicking synthetic (nomax civic/flight gloves, wool GI liners) that will still provide insulation even when wet, and then a shell glove over it that can quickly be pulled off if needed.
    Having done nitrile inside of gloves for several years in forestry work for shift work, your hands will be wet, from your own sweat, but warm. Sometimes wet, unexposed is better than dry and semi-exposed.

User Tag List