Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Target Focused Shooting

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    Can you determine how many shots were after the signal?
    Zero. You can watch the timer face change with each shot.

You can also play in slow motion and listen to audio timing compared to visual.

I think in real life it would be easier because life isn’t instantaneous.

Like when someone starts falling, they START falling before they are going fast. Noticing it early is the key. Like pre-attack indicators or someone telegraphing a punch.

Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post
    Zero. You can watch the timer face change with each shot.
    That's what it looked like. I wanted to confirm.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Fun factoid, a 1.0 second draw and 5 .20 splits to A zone hits out of competition gear would have put you 13/477 at the iron sight/LO Nationals that just happened.
    Curious what about the 2.5 to 2.9 ish range?

Shot from concealment and with dot but curious on pure time
    Last edited by G19Fan; 10-29-2023 at 10:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by P.E. Kelley View Post
    You are a better man than I! I found that transition from Dot to Dot Off really difficult, why? Because I was
    visually wedded to the Dot housing! That big ass unit became a distraction. My fix...taller front sight!

I am probably in the minority, but I won't carry a dot gun for personal protection. Irons are nearly always there and if not
    I still have a slide without that Dot housing obstruction.

Great thread gents. Target focus is "natural" and dots let us be accurate while we perform "naturally".
    I was fully on board with "Front Sight Press" for decades! Still am for ultimate accuracy, but I came to
    love target focus as my eyes and continuous Rx updates in order to maintain a crisp front sight, got to be more trouble
    than target focused shooting (within its limitations).
    Depending on range the dot housing is a giant ghost ring

Quote Originally Posted by G19Fan View Post
    Curious what about the 2.5 to 2.9 ish range?

Shot from concealment and with dot but curious on pure time
    Here is the link to the stage with all the times and points.

https://practiscore.com/results/new/220816?q_result=5
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Here is the link to the stage with all the times and points.

https://practiscore.com/results/new/220816?q_result=5
    Appreciated

Quote Originally Posted by LukeNCMX View Post
    I had never heard the benefit of target focus for defensive shooting being put in this exact way and it was very thought-provoking.
    Not sure what was said on that episode. However, a discussion about that subject was part of the genesis for That Weems Guy show podcast. I've hypothesized in classes, on Weems podcast, and other places for several years that - rather than making don't shoot/shoot decisions through the optic - "we" will see changes in suspect behaviors sooner & be able to respond to them quicker by being threat/target-focused. This is being proved out in BWC footage. (An addition is that we're likely to get better post-shooting statements too)

Quote Originally Posted by Default.mp3 View Post
    FWIW 0.25 visual reaction time is not from Force Science, it's just... regular science.
    Ding ding ding. FSRC has been the group willing to apply science to cop work, UOF, etc like most other careers, professions have been doing.

Quote Originally Posted by UNK View Post
    Is this a subject Nyeti used to post about?
    Upon further reflection. DB's core interest is around processing the problem. While he's a fine technical shooter and instructor, his emphasis is more on the force application, rather than the technique side.

I do believe he would generally teach iron sight shooters to use Front Sight Focus, but he's more interested in you being able to swiftly and reliably hit a "large orange, small grapefruit" sized target in the upper thoracic / head box area. He's more interested in you making good use of force decisions that don't violate The Four Rules, particularly rules 2 and 4. From a pure marksmanship perspective, if you can demonstrate that "target focused," I think that'd fine with him.

I've heard him mention several times in person and on podcasts: The reason you are deploying the weapon is reasonable fear of death or grave bodily injury, and it's entirely possible to find your brain locking up. One of the reasons DB likes Front Sight Focus is because it gives your eyes and brain something more productive to focus on than the scary monster.

To be clear, I'm not claiming expertise, first hand or otherwise. I'm being That Guy on the internet, regurgitating what I vaguely remember from a couple classes I took over the last several years.
    Last edited by David S.; 10-29-2023 at 12:28 PM.
    David S.

Quote Originally Posted by G19Fan View Post
    Depending on range the dot housing is a giant ghost ring

I tried that, being rather familiar with that set up on long guns...but NOPE! Not for me.
    Guns are just machines and without you they can do no harm, nor any good

Quote Originally Posted by David S. View Post
    Upon further reflection. DB's core interest is around processing the problem. While he's a fine technical shooter and instructor, his emphasis is more on the force application, rather than the technique side.

I do believe he would generally teach iron sight shooters to use Front Sight Focus, but he's more interested in you being able to swiftly and reliably hit a "large orange, small grapefruit" sized target in the upper thoracic / head box area. He's more interested in you making good use of force decisions that don't violate The Four Rules, particularly rules 2 and 4. From a pure marksmanship perspective, if you can demonstrate that "target focused," I think that'd fine with him.

I've heard him mention several times in person and on podcasts: The reason you are deploying the weapon is reasonable fear of death or grave bodily injury, and it's entirely possible to find your brain locking up. One of the reasons DB likes Front Sight Focus is because it gives your eyes and brain something more productive to focus on than the scary monster.

To be clear, I'm not claiming expertise, first hand or otherwise. I'm being That Guy on the internet, regurgitating what I vaguely remember from a couple classes I took over the last several years.
    Based on my classes with him, that's a good summary.
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

User Tag List