Thread: 9mm ammo prices Dells/Wisconsin Rapids area

9mm ammo prices Dells/Wisconsin Rapids area

I know this is a longshot, but here goes...
    I'm vacationing in WI for a week or so. Will be traveling up through Madison area, Dells, etc., staying in the Wisconsin Rapids area.
    Just wondering what 9mm prices [plinking ammo, so like CCI Blazer FMJ etc] are like, and where's a good place to pick up a couple hundred rounds? Do the Walmarts in that area typically stock 9mm? In my neck of the woods (N. Ill), ALMOST EVERYTHING starts at $16 for a box of 50 and goes up from there. Would love to beat that price by a buck or 2.

Thanks!
    tmanwell

Quote Originally Posted by tmanwell View Post
    I'm vacationing in WI for a week or so. Will be traveling up through Madison area, Dells, etc., staying in the Wisconsin Rapids area.
    Just wondering what 9mm prices [plinking ammo, so like CCI Blazer FMJ etc] are like, and where's a good place to pick up a couple hundred rounds? Do the Walmarts in that area typically stock 9mm? In my neck of the woods (N. Ill), ALMOST EVERYTHING starts at $16 for a box of 50 and goes up from there. Would love to beat that price by a buck or 2.

Thanks!
    tmanwell
    @tmanwell welcome to Wisconsin! I haven't been ammo shopping in central Wisconsin for a while, but, unfortunately, ammo isn't that much cheaper in the Land of Cheese. Walmarts are hit or miss; some in larger cities refuse to sell ammo, but it's generally available in smaller cities (like the Dells and Rapids). Your best bet would be to stop in to any "Fleet Farm" or "Farm & Fleet" (two different stores with a common history). They will generally have a better price and selection.

@Norville @Toonces @frozentundra @smithjd help a brutha out?
    "The victor is not victorious if the vanquished does not consider himself so."
    ― Ennius

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Guerrero View Post
    @tmanwell welcome to Wisconsin! I haven't been ammo shopping in central Wisconsin for a while, but, unfortunately, ammo isn't that much cheaper in the Land of Cheese. Walmarts are hit or miss; some in larger cities refuse to sell ammo, but it's generally available in smaller cities (like the Dells and Rapids). Your best bet would be to stop in to any "Fleet Farm" or "Farm & Fleet" (two different stores with a common history). They will generally have a better price and selection.

@Norville @Toonces @frozentundra @smithjd help a brutha out?
    Guerrero nailed the common options. I’d avoid WalMart simply due to the likelihood it of it taking 10+ minutes to get someone with the key to the ammo cabinet.

Fleet Farm has cheaper ammo ($15/50 Blazer Brass) than Farm and Fleet. Go to fleetfarm.com to look up store locations.

Did WalMart quietly add handgun ammo back into stock? I haven't looked at the ammo case in a WalMart in ages.

There will be several Mills Fleet Farm locations along your travels. One is on the west side of 90/94 just north of Madison, but there will be plenty. If I was in your shoes, I'd try a Mills Fleet Farm.

Or, as you get closer to your destination, you might run across a small-town gas station with a liquor aisle and a firearms aisle. Might be worth spending a buck or two more per box on four boxes to support that kind of mom-and-pop operation? I found my Storm carbine in one such place in the middle of the state back when Beretta hadn't brought in a run of them in quite some time.

As mentioned, Fleet Farm is probably your best bet. In the good old days they had sales, but I haven’t seen any lately.

If you make it ‘up north’ there are a couple of independent options.

I usually mail order

Thanks guys! I appreciate your help!!!

T.M.

Quote Originally Posted by tmanwell View Post
    Just wondering what 9mm prices [plinking ammo, so like CCI Blazer FMJ etc] are like, and where's a good place to pick up a couple hundred rounds? Do the Walmarts in that area typically stock 9mm?

I'm all the way up North, but I've not seen 9mm at a Walmart in so long that I stopped looking. Thought they stopped carrying it company wide?

The other box store that carries a lot of ammo in Northern WI is L&M Fleet Supply. They are much more common in smaller towns than Fleet Farm up here. Not sure if they have them that far South. Prices are probably similar to what you are seeing for brass cased. Blazer aluminum is probably a little cheaper. I miss the days of cheap Russian steel cased ammo with the animal names. And Tula. That stuff all ran fine in my training guns.

I’m out of the area for a few more weeks…. but Recobs Target Shop in Prairie du Sac has had very good prices on ammo in the past.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by frozentundra View Post
    I'm all the way up North, but I've not seen 9mm at a Walmart in so long that I stopped looking. Thought they stopped carrying it company wide?

The other box store that carries a lot of ammo in Northern WI is L&M Fleet Supply. They are much more common in smaller towns than Fleet Farm up here. Not sure if they have them that far South. Prices are probably similar to what you are seeing for brass cased. Blazer aluminum is probably a little cheaper. I miss the days of cheap Russian steel cased ammo with the animal names. And Tula. That stuff all ran fine in my training guns.
    Walmart stopped carrying handgun calibers and “assault rifle” ammunition a while back after one or more of the active shooter incidents.

User Tag List