Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Glock Single Stack 10mm ?

Quote Originally Posted by KneeShot View Post
    I don’t know guys….if this was a real thing and they were able to make them reliable - I could see them becoming popular for the crowd that hunts ultra light, and remote, either flying in or walking/hiking/climbing their butt’s off for sheep and goat in Alaska.

My buddies that hunt like that tend to drop a pistol off the packing list due to weight restrictions, or cutting weight from their own load. A reliable 10mm w/ a few more rounds than a heavy big bore, and lighter then a full size could catch on.
    There's no way in hell that the size of that proposed target population would justify the R&D and retooling/production costs.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

I don’t know guys….if this was a real thing and they were able to make them reliable - I could see them becoming popular for the crowd that hunts ultra light, and remote, either flying in or walking/hiking/climbing their butt’s off for sheep and goat in Alaska.
    The guy you quoted may have some experience with that.

The Gen 5 20 is the first Glock 10mm that I have found to be reliable with the loads I want for field use. Between my wife and I, we have or have had over a dozen Glock 20 and 29 pistols of various gens. I know Clusterfrack has changed mag springs and installed shims in a Gen 4, but I didn't want to go that route. Dissatisfaction with Glock 10mm reliability led me to the USP FS and Super ammo, which was a good thing.

If you want a lighter Glock 10mm that is reliable in stock form, you could always load your magazine with fewer cartridges.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

R&D, retooling, etc.. I agree probably not worth the cost for a small audience. I’m not an engineer, but if Glock could make them reliable they’ll sell….because Glock.

I’m aware of GJM’s experience. He also has his own bush plane (probably a few) and a helicopter. I’ve PM’d him for advice before. Went the .45 Super route, etc. I also have multiple friends w/ bush plane’s, friends who use air taxis, both w/ significant remote Alaska hunting experience.

I live in Alaska and I’m very familiar with the aviation and hunting community.

I’m just sharing another perspective gents.

I put together a new G5 20 today, which I hope will become my main 10mm.

Name:  IMG_5524.jpg
Views: 667
Size:  97.2 KB

Name:  IMG_5526.jpg
Views: 660
Size:  84.5 KB

If I was on a hunt with a rifle, and thought a G20 was too big and heavy, I would carry something like this with penetrator ammo.

Name:  IMG_5528.jpg
Views: 646
Size:  70.2 KB

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    I put together a new G5 20 today, which I hope will become my main 10mm.

Name:  IMG_5524.jpg
Views: 667
Size:  97.2 KB

Name:  IMG_5526.jpg
Views: 660
Size:  84.5 KB
    George, that's a damn nice gun and set-up. And, much as I like my HK P30L, for hunting/bush/wilderness use I really like, and prefer the simplicity and maintenance simplicity of a Glock. I'd personally add one of the Glock extended slide releases when they become available.

Best, Jon
    Last edited by JonInWA; 10-13-2023 at 03:14 PM.
    Sponsored by Check-Mate Industries and BH Spring Solutions
    Certified Glock Armorer

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    If I was on a hunt with a rifle, and thought a G20 was too big and heavy, I would carry something like this with penetrator ammo.

Name:  IMG_5528.jpg
Views: 646
Size:  70.2 KB
    The unloaded gen 5 Glock 20 weighed 27.00’ish, the unloaded g26 weighed 19.00’ish.. what do they weigh fully loaded with the (your) preferred Leheigh penetrator loads?

I’m wondering (from my previous perspective) if the weight & capacity difference could be worth it. If the theoretically reliable single stack 10mm could carry 7-8 rounds for less weight than the g20, and less capacity than the g26, would it be worth it for more penetration performance over the g26 and weight reduction from the g20?

Something I just thought of - is a rifle/shotgun comparison… for backcountry big bear protection I believe the universal go to is a shotgun w/ heavy slugs, or a 45-70.

Wouldn’t going to a 9mm vs a big bore revolver w/ heavy loads or a penetration worthy 10mm be like moving from a heavy slug or 45/70 - to .223/5.56

How much of this is the Indian OR the arrow? Hell - I’m 100% more proficient w/ an AR-15 and Glock 17 over ANYTHING else. However, when standing next to these big game animals - larger brass and bigger primers just seem to fit (or maybe just make me feel better).

Wouldn’t going to a 9mm vs a big bore revolver w/ heavy loads or a penetration worthy 10mm be like moving from a heavy slug or 45/70 - to .223/5.56
    9x19mm can be surprisingly effective with the right ammo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Bau4aPKwgg

Larger cartridges will likely have some performance advantage and are less likely to require expensive or hard-to-find bullets/loadings.

Quote Originally Posted by Velo Dog View Post
    9x19mm can be surprisingly effective with the right ammo.

Larger cartridges will likely have some performance advantage and are less likely to require expensive or hard-to-find bullets/loadings.

from my notes from this thread https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth...ics/18685241/2

John Barsness/Mule Deer:

Phil Shoemaker performed extensive penetration tests with the Buffalo Bore 9mm 147-grain load before he used it in the field-•

and if I recall correctly the fatal shot on the 9-foot brown bear was through the shoulders. The bullet was found under the hide on the far side. (Will recheck that from my info on the incident, but am very sure.)

jwp475:

Every shot that Phil fired made it under the skin on the far side.

Phil did not shoot the bear in the head. He hit the bear in the chest each shot until the last one and the bear was running way at that point

User Tag List