Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Glock Single Stack 10mm ?

Site Supporter
    I found the Glock 20 grip not suitable for my little hands. How's the 29SF grip work for us munchkins? I've thought about it but I'm past walking around in significant bear country (some black bears around here). I did buy some Buffalo Bore hard cast

BUFFALO BORE 45 ACP +P OUTDOORSMAN
    255 gr. Hard Cast FN @ 925 fps/M.E. 484 ft lbs

Got a mag of them, with the 1911 in its box.

They say the flat nose is a usable round for black bears. Yes, it is a fantasy in part that we would see one in the parks (as if we could carry now anyway). So is my 1911 with these a reasonable or just fantasy Internet choice?

I really don't need another Glock that just sits in the hidden arsenal.
    Cloud Yeller of the Boomer Age

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by 1Rangemaster View Post
    Respectfully, I personally can’t think of a successful single stack 10mm. Colt had one back in the day(does it still?), but my recollection from shooting one a bit was it was way too much muzzle flip. And I was younger and stronger…
    I’m going to side with others here and stick with 9/.40. With the loads we’ve got these days-and @GJM ‘s generosity in testing, proving and sharing info on 9s, etc., that is what I’m carrying. The .40s by @Lost River seem pretty viable too.
    Respectfully disagree. I owned a Colt Delta Elite back in the 90s that was reliable when I finally got some decent magazines for it. Some 10-15 years later, when I was on another 10mm kick, I owned a Dan Wesson in 10mm. I bought it used and it functioned with every round I fired through it. As for "muzzle flip", that can generally be mitigated by a proper grip...and learning defensive pistol craft on the Government Model and Commander (original version) in 45 ACP.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by RAM Engineer View Post
    And the double stack version will definitely continue to sell better than either.
    Agreed. My point was to the stack and a half would sell better than a single stack, which will sell, but not surpass existing double stack 10mm offerings.

I think that a lot of desirability for a given platform/cartridge depends on how and where it's gonna be used. If I'm out hunting, in the bush/wilderness, with a lack of likely available administrative support, a polymer framed, low weight, weather/environmentally impervious, easily maintained, easily field-stripped (or even detail disassembled) gun has a lot more attraction to me than a bespoke multi-thousand dollar 1911....And I like having suitable amounts of ammunition intrinsically on board with the weapon, and easily carried back-up magazines.

Similarly, where I am in Washington State, I'm pretty comfortable about my safety needs being adequately met with .40, .45 ACP or .357 magnum cartridges with informed and judicious selectionthe threats are most likely going to be black bear or mountain lion/cougar (not the two-legged variety...)

If I'm at a sophisticated hunting camp with a guided hunt, than I might be a bit more open to entertaining a 1911.

While I love me some 1911, practically speaking there's a lot to be said for a $600 Glock G21, G22, or G23 with appropriate cartridge selections.

Best, Jon
    Sponsored by Check-Mate Industries and BH Spring Solutions
    Certified Glock Armorer

Quote Originally Posted by 1Rangemaster View Post
    Respectfully, I personally can’t think of a successful single stack 10mm. Colt had one back in the day(does it still?), but my recollection from shooting one a bit was it was way too much muzzle flip. And I was younger and stronger…
    I’m going to side with others here and stick with 9/.40. With the loads we’ve got these days-and @GJM ‘s generosity in testing, proving and sharing info on 9s, etc., that is what I’m carrying. The .40s by @Lost River seem pretty viable too.
    Sig P220 Legion 10mm . All steel at 44 ounces empty and with a 5” barrel. Have never shot one but someone here might of .
    And yes you could buy 2 Glocks and some ammo for the same price.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    I found the Glock 20 grip not suitable for my little hands. How's the 29SF grip work for us munchkins? I've thought about it but I'm past walking around in significant bear country (some black bears around here). I did buy some Buffalo Bore hard cast

BUFFALO BORE 45 ACP +P OUTDOORSMAN
    255 gr. Hard Cast FN @ 925 fps/M.E. 484 ft lbs

Got a mag of them, with the 1911 in its box.

They say the flat nose is a usable round for black bears. Yes, it is a fantasy in part that we would see one in the parks (as if we could carry now anyway). So is my 1911 with these a reasonable or just fantasy Internet choice?

I really don't need another Glock that just sits in the hidden arsenal.
    I would think the trigger reach and grip circumference on a G29SF/Gen4 would be essentially the same as a G20SF/Gen4/Gen5

Quote Originally Posted by Nick B View Post
    Sig P220 Legion 10mm . All steel at 44 ounces empty and with a 5” barrel. Have never shot one but someone here might of
    A friend of mine insisted that I take his new 10mm SIG P220 with a Holosun green dot mounted on it to the range. Itty bitty groups off the bench at 25 and 50 yards. Very shootable off hand on steel at those ranges. Another friend who is in to bolt action hunting/target pistols decided to shoot it and immediately asked where it would hit at 100 yds. I gave him a SWAG and he got a solid first round hit on an 8” plate off the bench. As he carefully put the gun down he muttered “You guys are going to cost me money…”

People would probably buy it, but people would buy a bull with tits if one existed. This seems like a difficult engineering problem with little benefit.

I agree with @GJM and would add that slim frame guns have significantly more recoil snap and torque in my grip than their doublestack counterparts. A slimline 10mm would be the opposite of fun to shoot.
    I like my rifles like my women - short, light, fast, brown, and suppressed.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    I love 10mm, love Glock pistols, but a slimline makes no sense in 10mm for me. The slimline pistols have been more ammo/reliability sensitive than full size Glock pistols, and the main argument for a G20 for my use is 15 rounds of goodness in the field. Less reliability and less capacity seems unattractive.
    I don’t know guys….if this was a real thing and they were able to make them reliable - I could see them becoming popular for the crowd that hunts ultra light, and remote, either flying in or walking/hiking/climbing their butt’s off for sheep and goat in Alaska.

My buddies that hunt like that tend to drop a pistol off the packing list due to weight restrictions, or cutting weight from their own load. A reliable 10mm w/ a few more rounds than a heavy big bore, and lighter then a full size could catch on.

User Tag List