Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Girsan 2311s Shipping

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    I just don't get it. It would be just as easy to make and use an extractor that's common size vs making and using one in an uncommon size.

Do the Tisas and Girsan 1911s use oddball extractors? Is there some Turkish export law mandating this?

I may see if I can't bore the slide to take a proper extractor. The other option is to replace the slide with a piece from Fusion or Rem Sport. But that would require a new barrel and stuff as well since they don't make a chopped Government slide.

Frustrating stuff but also not terribly shocking given the gun's price.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
    Though both are Turkish and Girsan are Tisas are separate companies.

Can’t speak to what Girsan does on their other guns but the current Tisas 1911’s use standard 1911 parts including the extractor.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post

Can’t speak to what Girsan does on their other guns but the current Tisas 1911’s use standard 1911 parts including the extractor.
    Yep, I had a Tisas 9mm Commander that used a standard extractor.

Quote Originally Posted by Robinson View Post
    Yep, I had a Tisas 9mm Commander that used a standard extractor.
    Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post

Good to know this seems to be an exclusive phenomenon.

Pistol Wrench I think it was did a fairly extensive technical review of the Tisas on one of the 1911 forums. I seem to recall he said the Tisas was a decent pistol. I'll see if I can't find a link.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    Good to know this seems to be an exclusive phenomenon.

Pistol Wrench I think it was did a fairly extensive technical review of the Tisas on one of the 1911 forums. I seem to recall he said the Tisas was a decent pistol. I'll see if I can't find a link.

Yeah my Tisas was a pretty good gun I'll admit. No trouble with it. I just decided to give up on the whole 9mm 1911 thing. Again. For like the fifth time. Now all my guns are 45s plus one 38 Super. And a G47/G19 hybrid for 9mm shooting.

I got the rear sight off. The one screw was fine. The one I stripped out I stuck a T9 torx bit in and got worked out.

The EPS Carry fits okay. There's a tiny bit of light at both ends of the cut. And it doesn't sit very snug against the recoil bosses. Will it stay tight in recoil? The Holosun screws had to be shortened about .065" to get them to bottom out on the optic and not on the screw holes.

The front sight is now going to be way too high. The gun already shot a little low at 15 yards with the iron sights. The EPS rear is lower than the factory iron sight that came on the cover plate. I'm guessing I'll need a .165" front.

Looking at the cut there's probably enough room to have a Glock rear sight dovetail cut behind the ejection port.

I did send some pics of the optic cut to CHPWS. They are pretty certain they can cut away the RMSc cut and replace it with the CHPWS cross plate system.

Oops. Too late to edit. I have a typo above. I think I'll need .065" for a new front sight. Yikes! How tall is a stock old GI front sight?

I'll probably run the gun for awhile as pictured above. If it doesn't give me any issues to 1,000 rounds or so I might see about spending more money on it.

On a somewhat related note does anyone know if the SIG Romeo X rear sight is taller than the EPS Carry rear sight?

Here's another abnormality with the Girsan.

Gen 3 Staccato mags will not lock into the gun. It seems to me that they are narrower at the mag catch slot and aren't getting caught by the ledge on the mag catch.

Atlas, DuraMag brand and the one unmodified Check-Mate lock in fine.

My three Check-Mate mags I previously modified to work in my Prodigy lock in but will fall out with a little bit of shaking. I didn't test these mags in live fire. I bet they'd fall out under recoil.

Are the factory mags hard to get for it, expensive?

Quote Originally Posted by Crusader View Post
    Are the factory mags hard to get for it, expensive?
    I did pop the mag catch out of the Prodigy. It fits in the Witness grip and seems to retain the other mags. The contour is wrong being that the Prodigy piece is shaped to fit the lines that grip but it seemed to work otherwise. Comparing the two side by side the Witness has a different angle and a shorter ledge. Maybe a Dawson or EGW mag catch would work?

Anyway, DuraMag brand mags are what Springfield provides with the Prodigy. These seem to work fine in the 2311 and can be found for around $40.

The Checkmate brand is what EAA ships with the gun. These are priced around $50.

Both brands of mags may require some tuning in my experience. Springs are not very strong in either brand and there can be some variance in feed lips and tube dimensions that may cause feeding issues.

Probably the best 2011 mag currently is the one from Altas Gun Works. These are heavy gauge tubes that should be more dimensionally correct with a good strong spring. Down side is these run $65 or more depending on who you buy them from.

I am hoping to get to the indoor range this afternoon so sight in the new dot and to see how far off the irons are.

User Tag List