Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Girsan 2311s Shipping

I'll get some pics posted here in a bit. The forum no longer seems to work with Tapatalk. Tapatalk had its issues but it did make posting pics easy.
    Last edited by Tokarev; 10-28-2023 at 07:27 AM.

So Tapatalk seems to be working again. Here are a few pics.

The Girsan with my Prodigy. It isn't really obvious here but note the bigger gap between the light and bottom of the slide on the Turkish Delight. This will likely complicate holster selection.

An overall of the pistol. I do like the look. What I believe is a painted finish is smooth and even. Is the aluminum frame section anodized? I hope so.

Here's the slide at full travel and then locked open. It has a full Government stroke but the location of the slide lock notch is more Commander than Government. This means the slide has shorter travel when loading from slide lock.

Last edited by Tokarev; 10-28-2023 at 08:41 AM.

Sights. Note the head of the extractor. I think it is smaller than GI.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Some general pics of the frame.

228 rounds fired using a couple Atlas mags, a couple Dura Mags and the one factory Check Mate. Ammo was a mix of 115 and 147 JHP, a few frangible and 150 LSWC poly coated. There were no malfunctions of any kind to include firing with no mag in the pistol.

The two rear sight/cover plate screws came loose within about 50 rounds but didn't seem to loosen any further. The rear sight wiggles but both screws are still there.

Somewhere between about rounds 140 and 150 the little screw in the front of the trigger guard fell out. It is gone. Done lost it!

Now as I'm packing up to head home I see the big grip screw on the left is loose.

At least the flashlight stayed tight...

The gun seems like it has potential. Is it worth saving $300 over the Prodigy? Unknown at this time. But I think we're off to a decent start.

Oh. I almost forgot. The gun shoots two or three inches low at 15 yards. That's annoying but probably not anything I'll worry about right away. Next thing I plan on doing is mounting up an EPS Carry to see how it does with a dot.

Dammit! I just spun the center out of one of the tiny ass screws that holds the rear sight/optic cover plate on. I am probably going to have a hard time getting it out now.

I confirmed this evening that the Girsan does use a smaller diameter extractor. The extractor out of my Prodigy measures .270 at the groove for the firing pin plate. The Girsan is .234 at this spot. While I know 1911 parts aren't drop-in this is a pretty big difference. It isn't going to be something your average kitchen table 1911 Smith is going to be able to mess with.

Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    I confirmed this evening that the Girsan does use a smaller diameter extractor. The extractor out of my Prodigy measures .270 at the groove for the firing pin plate. The Girsan is .234 at this spot. While I know 1911 parts aren't drop-in this is a pretty big difference. It isn't going to be something your average kitchen table 1911 Smith is going to be able to mess with.

…And that spells the end to any interest I may have.
    If you're not going to learn to use the front sight properly, don't bother with it. If pointing the gun, screaming "Ahhhhh!" and cranking on the trigger is all you can learn to do, work on doing that safely. -ToddG

Quote Originally Posted by 60167 View Post
    …And that spells the end to any interest I may have.
    I just don't get it. It would be just as easy to make and use an extractor that's common size vs making and using one in an uncommon size.

Do the Tisas and Girsan 1911s use oddball extractors? Is there some Turkish export law mandating this?

I may see if I can't bore the slide to take a proper extractor. The other option is to replace the slide with a piece from Fusion or Rem Sport. But that would require a new barrel and stuff as well since they don't make a chopped Government slide.

Frustrating stuff but also not terribly shocking given the gun's price.

User Tag List