Thread: Ruger Super Redhawk Alaskan .44

Ruger Super Redhawk Alaskan .44

Anyone own and shoot one of these ? Use would be a Montana hiking gun . Local Sportsmen’s has one on sale for $1149.99 plus an additional 5% off that for veterans. Never been a big fan of Ruger revolvers due to their hit or miss on QC.
    Thanks in advance.

“The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick B View Post
    Anyone own and shoot one of these ? Use would be a Montana hiking gun . Local Sportsmen’s has one on sale for $1149.99 plus an additional 5% off that for veterans. Never been a big fan of Ruger revolvers due to their hit or miss on QC.
    Thanks in advance.
    The only Alaskan I’ve ever shot was in .500 S&W. There will be a large bear involved before I ever shoot a gun that size loaded with that cartridge again. It may have already bitten me before I would should that gun.

It seemed a very high quality gun.

I imagine a .44 with intelligent ammunition choices would be more tolerable.

I think that heavy revolvers capable of shooting heavy hard cast loads excel for hunting bears and other large animals. For defensive use, where the threats may be two or four legs, and the gun is carried across hill and dale, a lighter revolver like a 329/Mountain Gun/629 or a semi auto with penetrator ammo makes a lot of sense.

In Alaska, I see people carrying their .500 S&W or heavy Ruger on day one of a visit and not so much after, with the hand cannon often left in the vehicle, on the bank of the river against a tree....
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    I think that heavy revolvers capable of shooting heavy hard cast loads excel for hunting bears and other large animals. For defensive use, where the threats may be two or four legs, and the gun is carried across hill and dale, a lighter revolver like a 329/Mountain Gun/629 or a semi auto with penetrator ammo makes a lot of sense.

In Alaska, I see people carrying their .500 S&W or heavy Ruger on day one of a visit and not so much after, with the hand cannon often left in the vehicle, on the bank of the river against a tree....
    Great reply, thanks . I guess my new 4.24” Anaconda would be one of the ones left behind after day one . Empty it weighs 48 ounces.
    My USP45 with Supers is looking better and better.

My Super Blackhawk .44 weighs 48oz. I carried it everywhere on one Alaska trip, and it was not a problem at all. My Glock20.4 with an Acro and a full mag is only 8 oz lighter. I strongly prefer the Glock, but for shootability and capacity reasons.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

I have one. Slapped the non finger grooved hogue grips on it. Fits the hand like a GP100. Even the 300gr Hornady load isn’t what I would call punishing out of it.
    Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    Oh man, that's right. I forgot that some people feel like they need light SA triggers in DA guns instead of just learning to shoot the gun better. You can get a Redhawk DA trigger pull down to 10 lbs, and if you can't manage that you suck and should probably just practice more.
    *RS Regulate Affiliate*

I have the SRH Alaskan in .454. With actual .454s in it, it’s a train wreck in your palm. With medium to heavy loaded .45 Colts, it’s wonderful.

I'm pretty sure they come with them as the original grip, but if not I highly recommend the Hogue Tamer grips.

Best, Jon
    Sponsored by Check-Mate Industries and BH Spring Solutions
    Certified Glock Armorer

User Tag List