Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 412131415 LastLast

Thread: What’s the Carbine “Easy Button?”

Quote Originally Posted by WobblyPossum View Post
    I’m sure you’ll be satisfied with the one you bought.

ETA: just making sure you don’t run afoul of any NFA issues, but did you pay the extra $45 to pin and weld the muzzle device?
    Yes, I at least knew to do that. Honestly, I don’t know what I don’t know. If it didn’t have the descriptions I would know an elw from govt profile haha
    "Shooting is 90% mental. The rest is in your head." -Nils

Quote Originally Posted by JCS View Post
    Yes, I at least knew to do that. Honestly, I don’t know what I don’t know. If it didn’t have the descriptions I would know an elw from govt profile haha
    Basically, the government profile is thinner before the gas block journal (the part the gas block sits on) and thicker after it. The ELW barrel is pretty similar to the government profile before the gas block journal and continues to narrow after the gas block journal. The ELW will save you about five ounces of weight over the government profile, primarily off the front end of the barrel.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

Quote Originally Posted by JCS View Post
    The blem govt profile with bcg was $611. Quite a nice discount. With the blem lower I was able to get a complete bcm ar for just a tad over $1k.

If they end up offering the elw on sale I’ll pick one up and move off the govt profile upper.
    Their rails are pretty lightweight so even with a gov profile barrel, I think you will like the rifle. Whether that is your primary or it turns into a backup gun, at that price, it is totally worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by WobblyPossum View Post
    Basically, the government profile is thinner before the gas block journal (the part the gas block sits on) and thicker after it. The ELW barrel is pretty similar to the government profile before the gas block journal and continues to narrow after the gas block journal. The ELW will save you about five ounces of weight over the government profile, primarily off the front end of the barrel.

I appreciate this barrel profile description. The thinner profile towards the chamber (like the gov profile) explains why its approx 5 ounces lighter than tapered profile of barrels like a Criterion Core.

Quote Originally Posted by Cool Breeze View Post
    I appreciate this barrel profile description. The thinner profile towards the chamber (like the gov profile) explains why its approx 5 ounces lighter than tapered profile of barrels like a Criterion Core.
    I just looked up the Criterion Core. It definitely looks substantially thicker before the gas block journal than a BCM ELW barrel. The Criterion is the same weight as a government barrel but I’d guess it’s balanced more towards the rear due to that being the thicker part of the barrel than on a government barrel. The photos of all the barrels on the BCM website also give a good idea of the different profiles.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

BCM currently is running a free BCG promo with the purchase of an upper.

Not sure if it also applies to blem uppers.

Quote Originally Posted by Sasage View Post
    BCM currently is running a free BCG promo with the purchase of an upper.

Not sure if it also applies to blem uppers.
    It does.
    "Shooting is 90% mental. The rest is in your head." -Nils

I dream of a day when the govt barrel profile is finally relegated to the dust bin of history.
    Administrator for PatRogers.org

Quote Originally Posted by Sig_Fiend View Post
    I dream of a day when the govt barrel profile is finally relegated to the dust bin of history.
    I fully support this. If Brownells keeps it for a retro line, I'd accept, but anything more than that is fighting evolution by this point.

The Core handles very well.

Quote Originally Posted by CalAlumnus View Post
    . . . general self/home defense in mind.
    The circle-dot reticle, originally from EOTech, with a 68MOA circle, is something you should consider for a rifle filling that role. The offerings with that reticle from SIG, and Holosun, have a 65 MOA circle, but that's close enough.

That reticle, with that size circle, means the bottom of the circle, which is marked with a small hash, accounts for mechanical offset at short ranges, like inside your house. Essentially the bottom mark on the circle is your zero at 7 yards. So for short ranges, like inside a house, you snap to the bottom of the circle to make fast/accurate shots.

https://www.eotechinc.com/eotech-hws-xps2

Name:  0-reticle.jpg
Views: 193
Size:  23.4 KB

EDIT TO ADD: While I like the EOTech, for home defense you're probably better off with something from Holosun, or SIG. The EOTechs have a much shorter battery life, and auto shut off, because the Holographic tech is less efficient than the LED technology of the Holosun, and SIGs.
    Last edited by DMF13; 11-19-2023 at 09:25 PM.

User Tag List