Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Ruger Redhawk vs S&W Mountain Gun

Quote Originally Posted by Hizzie View Post

Don’t forget Phil Shoemaker took a charging brownie with a 3rd Gen S&W in 9mm with Buffalo Bore “outdoorsman” loaded in the mag.
    Don't forget he carried it because he was in an area where he didn't think he would need it and his normal carry is a .44 mag mountain gun
    On the ragged edge of the world I'll roam,
    And the home of the wolf shall be my home - Robert Service

Name:  1553959483899-2058445526_jpg-895090~2.jpg
Views: 318
Size:  29.4 KB
    On the ragged edge of the world I'll roam,
    And the home of the wolf shall be my home - Robert Service

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    4" Redhawk in .45. Random intermittent light strikes
    I had that problem with my 44mag Redhawk. I fixed it by machining off some of the "step" on the hammer to give the FP more protrusion (but not so much removed to negate the FP block). I also stumbled upon a great deal on Redhawk mainsprings and bought a bunch. I replaced the mainspring every year as "routine maintenance". After doing those two things, light strikes went away.
    Quote Originally Posted by JTQ View Post
    I really like the JM grips. Shame they're so ugly to look at, but they feel great while shooting.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by jh9 View Post
    This.

The Redhawk to some people is...weird. I would not buy sight unseen. Maybe the shape and grip options won't bother you, but if it does it will probably bother you a lot.
    My early (early, early) Redhawk has thicker grips at the rear than my later ones did. This makes a big difference in controllablity for me. It is a bit different and I feel its effect even more with long barrelled versions, making them feel even more nose heavy to me. The grip frame is half SA revolver and half DA, and it sits higher in my hand. As I mentioned earlier, only the original factory grip works well for me.
    Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem
    I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude
    -Thomas Jefferson
    I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.

Ruger Redhawk 5.5 44 Magnum carry load is Doubletap 320-gr Wide Flat Nose Hardcast loads. I understand not everyone likes the Redhawks, but to each their own.
    The Doubletap site doesn't show the FPS for a 5.5" but in a 6" barrel it shows 1265 fps... I don't have a chrono, but I'll take their word for it.

Doubletap 320-gr Wide Flat Nose Hardcast
    Last edited by Dusty Stone; 10-11-2023 at 12:13 AM.

I’d really like to shoot and compare the S&W Mtn gun and Ruger SRH Toklat in spicy .45 LC. I’ve been carrying a Ruger SRH .Alaskan 44 mag for the past 6yrs Moose Hunting / Remote Alaska. Use a Kenai chest holster. I tried the HK USP w/ 45 Super for a season but do not enjoy the way it carry’s - weight of mag tips out vs even chest holster balance of the SRH.

I reviewed a range video of a 7yd bill drill from the ready. 305gn Buffalo Bore. 4.91sec, one out.

The weight doesn’t bother me (bum leg), usually walk about 2-3mi to and from camp, hunting/patrolling pace.

I get the bearanoia bad, and to truly feel prepared I’d rather have an AR-10 (ar platform familiarity/reps) slung across my chest over any pistol, but they aren’t conducive (to me) for hunting because racking a round is extremely loud.

Or a loaded .375H&H over the shoulder, but I use hiking poles, rifle rides in the pack.

If I could buy it again I’d probably get the .454 version to be able to carry hot .45 LC and use .45ACP for fun.

Name:  IMG_5852.jpg
Views: 253
Size:  42.0 KBName:  IMG_5857.jpg
Views: 255
Size:  99.4 KB

Kneeshot I've thought about getting either the Gunfighters Inc Kenai chest holster, or the Dionand D Denali for my Ruger Redhawk 5.5"

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkr View Post
    I had that problem with my 44mag Redhawk. I fixed it by machining off some of the "step" on the hammer to give the FP more protrusion (but not so much removed to negate the FP block). I also stumbled upon a great deal on Redhawk mainsprings and bought a bunch. I replaced the mainspring every year as "routine maintenance". After doing those two things, light strikes went away.

I really like the JM grips. Shame they're so ugly to look at, but they feel great while shooting.

Chris
    I've had a lot of stacking issues with the factory spring. That adds insult to injury as far as I'm concerned. My usual fix is to swap out the spring for one that's slightly lighter and to polish everything that spring touches. This would be the spring guide, the inside of the hammer hook, the lever the spring guide slides through, and the link that goes to the trigger. No rough edges anywhere, all done by hand with stones and fine sandpaper.

I was recommending the middle weight spring in Wolffs spring pack which has always worked well for me, but perhaps the heavy spring from the kit may be better. The factory spring is rated at 17 lbs, I recently found out. Wolffs spring kits include 12, 13, and 14 lb springs. The 13 lb seems a bit light now that I'm second guessing myself.

Oh well.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by Dusty Stone View Post
    Ruger Redhawk 5.5 44 Magnum carry load is Doubletap 320-gr Wide Flat Nose Hardcast loads. I understand not everyone likes the Redhawks, but to each their own.
    The Doubletap site doesn't show the FPS for a 5.5" but in a 6" barrel it shows 1265 fps... I don't have a chrono, but I'll take their word for it.

Doubletap 320-gr Wide Flat Nose Hardcast
    I don't believe a charging hopapitamous could tell the difference.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by 358156hp View Post
    I've had a lot of stacking issues with the factory spring. That adds insult to injury as far as I'm concerned. My usual fix is to swap out the spring for one that's slightly lighter and to polish everything that spring touches. This would be the spring guide, the inside of the hammer hook, the lever the spring guide slides through, and the link that goes to the trigger. No rough edges anywhere, all done by hand with stones and fine sandpaper.

I was recommending the middle weight spring in Wolffs spring pack which has always worked well for me, but perhaps the heavy spring from the kit may be better. The factory spring is rated at 17 lbs, I recently found out. Wolffs spring kits include 12, 13, and 14 lb springs. The 13 lb seems a bit light now that I'm second guessing myself.

Oh well.
    I never had an issue with stacking on mine, but it was an older gun that had umpteen rounds through it during its life and certainly during its tenure with me. I actually liked the longer trigger pull of the Redhawk compared to the S&W.

Chris

User Tag List