Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hard Chrome?

Hard Chrome?

Anyone have a good source for hard chrome finishing, other than Ford's?

No issue with Ford's, just looking for options.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Look at:

APW Cogan: https://apwcogan.com
    Mahovsky's Metalife: http://www.mahovskysmetalife.com

Fewer and fewer shops offering HC these days. You'll find great reviews for both mentioned and (as usual) some unhappy customers, too -- same as Ford's. Caveat emptor.

Consider, too, asking some well-respected smiths and manufacturers who they use. Ted Yost, Don Williams and Frank Glenn still offer HC and might share their source. And whoever Alchemy Custom Weaponry uses for their HC does incredible work.

Good luck.
    Hain’t we got all the fools in town on our side? And ain’t that a big enough majority in any town?

I'd like to know too.

I tried to find out who Staccato was using when I sent my Trojan back for warranty work. Why they wanted the gun back for a rear sight issue, I don't know. But they took care of it and while they had it agreed to send it out for hard chrome. Cost for chrome was $300. They said they weren't sure who it would go out to, since they used three different vendors. Wish I knew because the job done was very good.

Done 3 revolvers and 4 HiPowers, my old STI 2011 racegun and my late 90's Para P16 racegun, and a Colt 1911 with Cogan. I have no complaints, fast turn around, happy customer for >2 decades.
    Support the Second Amendment Foundation and the Firearms Policy Coalition, join and give!

Quote Originally Posted by fatdog View Post
    Done 3 revolvers and 4 HiPowers, my old STI 2011 racegun and my late 90's Para P16 racegun, and a Colt 1911 with Cogan. I have no complaints, fast turn around, happy customer for >2 decades.
    Not nearly as extensive but my limited experience with them was also good. They did a slide that turned out fantastic.

20 some odd years ago I had used Tripp.
    Excellent work.
    "... And miles to go before I sleep".

I'm a fan of the HC look, and my affinity for two tone pistols reflect that. But after the thumb safety cracked on a pistol that was hard chromed about 15 years ago, my gunsmith and I had a fairly in depth conversation about it. I no longer will be sending pistols out for HC.

But to answer the OP, I've had a few guns done by Metaloy, and have been happy with the result. We think the failure mentioned earlier was a combo of an Ed Brown safety from a time when EB's quality might have not been the best, and Hydrogen embrittlement due to the HC process

OP, have you considered chromium nitride? A lot of gunsmiths and manufacturers are switching to DLC and nitride coatings vs chrome plating. My understanding is that it's preferred because they don't have to worry about fitment of parts plus great corrosion resistance and low friction. This is chromium nitride on my Glock 19.5. Name:  20221112_145252.jpg
Views: 208
Size:  66.2 KB
    Attachment 110361

Quote Originally Posted by Exiledviking View Post
    OP, have you considered chromium nitride? A lot of gunsmiths and manufacturers are switching to DLC and nitride coatings vs chrome plating. My understanding is that it's preferred because they don't have to worry about fitment of parts plus great corrosion resistance and low friction. This is chromium nitride on my Glock 19.5. Name:  20221112_145252.jpg
Views: 208
Size:  66.2 KB
    Attachment 110361
    I hadn't, but that's a good idea, thanks. Recommend source?
    Last edited by Trooper224; 10-09-2023 at 05:06 PM.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

The first one that comes to mind is Cajun Gun Works. https://cajungunworks.com/refinishing/crn-2/

Steve at Integrity Arms has done many really nice 1911s in chromium nitride. Apparently he's not doing small and/or few parts in silver anymore due to the high cost. https://www.integrityarmscustoms.com/

Armorlube in Tucson might be another option.
    Last edited by Exiledviking; 10-09-2023 at 05:56 PM.

User Tag List