Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: S&W 66-1 Mystery ...

S&W 66-1 Mystery ...

I picked up this 66-1 at my LGS today. The lady they bought it from told them it was her Dad's service revolver. It was pretty cool, the price was right so I bought it. It is in really good condition with a few bumps and bruises you would expect years of carry.

When I got it home I took the old worn Pachmayr grips off and found the letters MHP stamped on the left side of the frame. (See the picture below) I figure it has to stand for either Michigan, Mississippi, or Montana Highway Patrol. Anybody know?

The coolness factor just kicked up a notch ...

pachmayr grips

[QUOTE=4given;1515464] I figure it has to stand for either Michigan, Mississippi, or Montana Highway Patrol. Anybody know?

[img]https://i.imgur.com/xQBf0A9.jpg]

I left out Maine ....

Do any of them have a State Police rather than a Highway Patrol?

I found this thread on the Smith & Wesson Forum:

http://smith-wessonforum.com/s-w-rev...ion-print.html

In it the OP states: " The Mississippi Highway Safety Patrol was established in 1938. Col. T.B. Birdsong issued the MHP with Registered Magnums. After 1940 the MHP officers were issued with Smith and Wesson 357 Magnums. Sometime in the Late 1950's or early 1960's the entire MHP converted to the Model 28. Lastly in 1979 or 80 the MHP was issued with their last revolver the Model 66."

Another person posted: "MHP guns are marked on the left side of the frame under the grips. it is a simple MHP stamp." That would be consistent with the markings on mine.

I don't know if these folks are authorities on the subject but it's the best I have come up with after much searching,
    Last edited by 4given; 10-06-2023 at 09:22 AM.

[QUOTE=4given;1515528]
    Quote Originally Posted by 4given View Post
    I figure it has to stand for either Michigan, Mississippi, or Montana Highway Patrol. Anybody know?

[img]https://i.imgur.com/xQBf0A9.jpg]

I left out Maine ....
    No love for Missouri Highway Patrol either?
    Skinner Precision LLC official Account
    07 Manufacturer specializing in Competition Rifles

Montana, Missouri, and Mississippi have a Highway Patrol or State Highway Patrol. The other 5 “M” states have a State Police, although I can’t guarantee that they didn’t previously have a Highway Patrol that became the State Police.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

Quote Originally Posted by BN View Post
    Do any of them have a State Police rather than a Highway Patrol?
    My research has found only Montana Highway Patrol & Mississippi Highway Patrol. The others are State Police

Quote Originally Posted by WobblyPossum View Post
    Montana, Missouri, and Mississippi have a Highway Patrol or State Highway Patrol. The other 5 “M” states have a State Police, although I can’t guarantee that they didn’t previously have a Highway Patrol that became the State Police.

Wow, I left out Missouri. Is this what I have to look forward to now I am over 65? LOL

Wow, I left out Missouri. Is this what I have to look forward to now I am over 65? LOL
    Who needs all their marbles when they’re laying on a pile of S&W revolvers?
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

[QUOTE=Skinner Precision, LLC;1515535]

No love for Missouri Highway Patrol either?
    I think I just felt another brain cell die... need to get some more focus factor ...

User Tag List