Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Shotguns in modern military combat

It's odd that SF would get full size shotguns for breeching. Looks like the shockwave/tac14 style would have been ideal especially considering you're still carrying a rifle as primary.

The 590A1 would be way to cumbersome to carry as a breeching tool in addition to carrying a carbine.
    Are you loyal to the constitution or the “institution”?

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Lehr View Post
    In watching him explain the dry hull/hole technique I wondered if they ever had any problems with the 870's self-cycling and perhaps partially ejecting the fired hull causing a FTE when dashing using that technique.
    At one point that was how our department mandated shotguns to be used/carried. I never got fully habituated to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Blackburn View Post
    It's odd that SF would get full size shotguns for breeching. Looks like the shockwave/tac14 style would have been ideal especially considering you're still carrying a rifle as primary.
    Not everybody gets the newest shiny toy.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Surprised to hear the 590 had problems, but I bet some Wolff magazine springs would've fixed that and a Vang Comp stainless magazine follower.

I can tell he likes 870s but I've just had so many QC issues with ones from the past 20 years that I just can't trust them.

Quote Originally Posted by SwampDweller View Post
    Surprised to hear the 590 had problems, but I bet some Wolff magazine springs would've fixed that and a Vang Comp stainless magazine follower.

I can tell he likes 870s but I've just had so many QC issues with ones from the past 20 years that I just can't trust them.
    Can't help but wonder if the other part of the problem wasn't that they were using a full-size shotgun for breeching duty.
    Are you loyal to the constitution or the “institution”?

There was this noteworthy use of the Benelli M4 by the British...good thing someone had their PACT timer along for the raid.

SAS hero with shotgun 'kills five ISIS fighters including two wearing suicide vests in just seven seconds during raid on jihadi bomb factory in Iraq'
    "When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JSGlock34 View Post
    There was this noteworthy use of the Benelli M4 by the British...good thing someone had their PACT timer along for the raid.

SAS hero with shotgun 'kills five ISIS fighters including two wearing suicide vests in just seven seconds during raid on jihadi bomb factory in Iraq'
    I love this photo and caption in the article:

Name:  Screenshot 2023-10-07 at 3.14.42 PM.jpg
Views: 776
Size:  40.6 KB

Quote Originally Posted by idahojess View Post
    I love this photo and caption in the article:

Name:  Screenshot 2023-10-07 at 3.14.42 PM.jpg
Views: 776
Size:  40.6 KB
    It should be captioned “ Glock” for the full effect.
    "If I ever needed to hunt in a tuxedo, then this would be the rifle I'd take." - okie john

"Not being able to govern events, I govern myself." - Michel De Montaigne

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    Most definitely. One of the biggest issue with Mossberg non-590's is that you have to remove the magazine tube to replace the spring. Thus the 590 as a military spec...but you still have to actually replace the magazine springs as preventative maintenance, and almost nobody does that.

The Mossberg also has an incredibly thin and delicate magazine tube that can dent, twist, or kink if you look at it funny.

At the inaugural Rangemaster Shotgun Instructor class back in 2016 I was discussing the state of affairs in shotguns with others in the class and we all concluded that if we needed a shotgun off the shelf to depend on right then it would probably be a 1301.

...you know, back when 1301's could be had for around $1,000.

$500 or so for an 870 that maybe worked, or double that for a 1301 that would. Fairly easy choice.
    3/15/2016

Quote Originally Posted by Lex Luthier View Post
    It should be captioned “ Glock” for the full effect.
    12mm Glock.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

Site Supporter
    I got rid of the stock magazine spring in my 590A1 and replaced it with one of the Brownell's cut-to-length springs and found I couldn't get it to hold eight rounds anymore. Now it's a reliable 7+1 gun.
    "Everything in life is really simple, provided you don’t know a f—–g thing about it." - Kevin D. Williamson

User Tag List