Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Alarm Signage

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by D-der View Post
    Now that I have a cellular connection I still do not want a sign, because I would rather have them not know they are on the clock until they are already on the clock.
    But on my dead-end street the clock probably actually started running when they walked or drove down the street, between the people that are retired or working from home.
    This has been pretty much my thought, I'm a mile in, near the end of a narrow dead end dirt road with no other way out unless it's dirt bike, side by side or snow machine. We did have a false alarm a while ago, I called the PD, apologized, let them know a sensor was replaced and inquired if I owed them, was very pleasantly told no, not at all, we did send a thank you card with a gift card for the local pizza place down the road. We've got a monitored system that's cellular with battery back up, I've been real hesitant / boarder line dead set against camera's just because of hacking potential but, just too much bull shit going on these days, I'm going to add some external camera's to the monitored system, still no way I'm putting then in the house though.
    Thanks, very much appreciate all the input![/QUOTE]

I have external cameras only, partially for this reason. I will not have internal cameras in my house.
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

This has been pretty much my thought, I'm a mile in, near the end of a narrow dead end dirt road with no other way out unless it's dirt bike, side by side or snow machine.
    We are only 1/4mi down a street, but you have to pass some potentially aware folks including a husband and wife that are both Army vets and both retired, a Dayton PD couple (husband is active and wife is retired detective), two other retired guys that are home a lot, and then the pretty nosey retired widow across the street. And now I am home most weekdays, and I hope that lasts until I retire.

I did have a chainsaw stolen from my shed before I had properly locked it up (had bought the lock, procrastinated on the install...) but that was before as many people on the street were retired. PD said there was a dirtbag that rode around on a bicycle, snatching what he could ride away with.

So I am not so worried about random opportunists, but I do worry some about somebody that might be more motivated and willing to hike a little.

ETA: Also more often these days when neither of us are there the dogs are. They might be poodles but 60 pounds plus 85 pounds equals a lotta racket, and I think that is additional deterrence to normal dirt bags..

Name:  MMc Redacted.jpg
Views: 203
Size:  79.0 KB
    Last edited by mmc45414; 10-05-2023 at 08:17 PM.

Do signs deter people from doing nefarious shit?

Sometimes.

Depends on the people. And depends a lot on the sign. Dell, like the computer company, was having problems with their trucks full of high dollar chips, processors, and motherboards were being targeted by organized criminal gangs in the country of manufacture and were losing millions of dollars a month in product as well as the associated shortages that accompanied the initial issue of being robbed of their goods…….

They hired a U.S. based private security company who in turned hired somebody who had experience in that part of the world, and in dealing with those particular people. The solution was to paint all of the trucks and trailers used by Dell to transport their products plain white, and when they departed the factory they would display HAZMAT and BIOHAZARD stickers along with “DANGER- INFECTIOUS HUMAN WASTE” as well as a publicized announcement and follow-on disinformation campaign associated with research into “next generation cybernetic technologies” at the local factory.

In less than two weeks the problem disappeared entirely.
    You can get much more of what you want with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.

Any thoughts on whether an Alarm warning sign on a residence actually deters break in's ?
    I haven't seen actual stats and assume most of the signage support may be from the alarm companies
    I've read where it does but, wonder, does that actually warn a possible intruder they need to be more careful in their approach.
    I suspect this form would be a good source of info on this.
    Others in this thread will have better (anec)data than I do. But I think it depends a lot on your AO. Where I am, sub 5min response for police and fire is the stated goal. I haven't had experience with PD yet, but when I bought the house I decided to test the CO alarms. The pre-existing units looked identical to the standalone ones I had bought but were connected to the alarm system. So of course I triggered the alarm and fumbled the disarm code. I had the FD in full kit knocking on the door by the time I finished my 3rd attempt to turn off the system. I think that response time matters more than the sign. Also, I'm the poor in the neighborhood, so better targets doesn't hurt .

I'm more concerned about people who are supposed to be in the house (e.g. service technician) either being directly involved or having a "friend" who gets a bit too interested. So keeping things in a less obvious place and slowing down access to under the response time seems like the place to put in some effort.
    Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.

- William Pitt the Younger

Site Supporter
    We have alarm company signs. But I've found that she works extremely well...

Name:  Saige.jpg
Views: 163
Size:  32.6 KB Name:  Saige Teeth.jpg
Views: 162
Size:  38.2 KB
    Last edited by MDFA; 10-06-2023 at 06:29 AM.
    Be Aware-Stay Safe. Gunfighting Is A Thinking Man's Game. So We Might Want To Bring Thinking Back Into It.

We wouldn't have any police response even if we had an alarm system. Most of my neighbors just have cameras and lighting with movement sensors. They're also home most of the time.

I think most people understand the lack of police response here, including criminals looking for a quick score. The island is kind of a trap with one way on and one way off. The few times I've seen a chase reported, the WSP and sheriff from the adjacent county cut them off at the bridge. Hotel California-ish.

I don't have an alarm system. None of my neighbors do either, except for their dogs.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Any thoughts on whether an Alarm warning sign on a residence actually deters break in's ?
    I haven't seen actual stats and assume most of the signage support may be from the alarm companies
    I've read where it does but, wonder, does that actually warn a possible intruder they need to be more careful in their approach.
    I suspect this form would be a good source of info on this.
    I leave the big screen TV on in the front room whenever we're not home.

It creates an ambiguous situation for a burglar. Is anybody really home? Did they just step out for a moment? Are they at a nearby neighbor's house? Will somebody come home and catch me when I'm burgling the house?

User Tag List