Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: “I Saw an Opportunity and I Took It.”- Greg Ellifritz

I received a bit of lay insight into the criminal mindset a couple of weeks ago. The deal being: my wife had been doing a renovation on her studio, and there was lots of coming and going, using the back of my highlander as a donkey. At some point, the plan had been to make one last run before dark, but we both decided that we were too fried, and that starting an evening burger feeding frenzy made more sense. The upshot of which is that I left my car unlocked for, maybe, the 3rd or 4th time in 20 years of living in our ‘hood.

I come out the next morning to go to work, and it’s clear that my car had been rifled through: the contents of the glove box and center console are out and dumped on the front passenger seat; the glove box and console are still open.

Not a great start to the day.

Here’s where the lesson comes in: nothing is missing. Granted, I don’t leave anything of value in my car, since my town is almost the property crime champion of the USA (I think we’re actually 3rd in the nation, and maybe 2nd for car theft per capita). But I had still left my fancy ass shades, complete with Mil-spec/ANSI lenses and titanium frames (about 185 to replace) in the center console. The shades—and the case—were both on the passenger seat. Additionally, there was a single, inside out neoprene wetsuit glove on the driver’s seat. Gross.

Nothing taken, and nothing out of place, other than the content dump. Didn’t take the glasses; didn’t take the first aid kit under the seat (which is reasonably stocked with anti-bleed stuff; over a benny to replace, as well).

Whomever it was left everything, including the titanium shades, and gifted me a glove.

Point being: we will never know what the fuck is going on inside some people’s heads. The sooner that fact is accepted, the more the world begins to make a bit of sense.

[/shrug]
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Quote Originally Posted by Totem Polar View Post
    The upshot of which is that I left my car unlocked for, maybe, the 3rd or 4th time in 20 years of living in our ‘hood.
    My truck will not fit in the garage, and I do not leave one of the garage door openers in it. Don't want to make it too easy for someone to get in the house, and I try to remember if we are leaving for a few days to put the spare keys to it in the safe.

I used to work for a Fla DJJ Pre-Juvie program. And I noticed that our future felons had a wonderful combination of the previously observed criminal traits:
    -Not much regard for the future consequences of their current actions
    -Lots of regard for their own personal prowess & cunning
    -The smug knowledge of having gotten away with a lot of things
    -A fondness for chemical mood enhancers
    -An ease at being inside the system

During that time, I ran into one of our frequent flyers during his infrequent time outside the program, and wondered what could have happened if he wasn't on the happy herb. I got my CCW shortly afterwards.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post
    An interesting shot into the mindset of a thief: “I Saw an Opportunity and I Took It.”
    Everyone thought it was great when Maverick did it.
    Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post
    -Not much regard for the future consequences of their current actions
    -The smug knowledge of having gotten away with a lot of things
    These are probably related...

User Tag List