Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: SJW FAFO

Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
    There was no "tough New Yorker" about it.... his actions were to try and reason with violence. A tough New Yorker would have thrown down with the dude. That guy thought hope was a plan. That feels would win the day. FAFO.
    I've known some genuinely tough New Yorkers, no doubt they exist. What I am referring to is an attitude that just living in NYC makes you "tough". I know someone who is definitely not "tough", but plays it up since he sees himself as a "New Yorker" and I guess that's part of the image. From some of the threads on other issues on this forum, this not an isolated occurrence.

Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
    Just to be clear.... I never said the guy deserved to be a crime victim... I would never say that about anyone, not even Joe Biden, or Al Sharpton.

I assume you read the story linked in the OP?
    I grew up in that area, still have family nearby-ish, and it's only gotten worse (except when it got better under Giuliani) recently.
    The guy made the mistake of calling out a raging criminal, and not being prepared to deal with consequences that anyone who lives in that AO would have certainly placed on the list of possible reactions from said criminal.

The first line in the article defines the guy as a "Social Justice Advocate".... Again... he did not "deserve" being dead, but, trying to do "social justice" on a raging criminal in the midst of his rage.... has possible consequences that, unless you are prepared to deal with them, could foreseeably leave you seriously injured or dead. Deservedly? Certainly not.

In motorcycling, or bicycling, even when you have the right of way, you have to regularly yield to assholes on their cell phones in order to avoid being "dead right".

"hey dude, don't do that".... whether you mean well or did it with utmost politeness and kindness and good intentions... can get you killed when you say it to the wrong guy and then stand there with no plan other than words and let him stab you. I suspect this is where the derision you describe comes from, not because he was a SJW, but, because he brought himself into a situation, made himself a target and had no plan other than hope.

It's tragic, undeserved and awful... but also predictable. And avoidable.
    When one of your loved ones is victimized in a situation where they could've done better, I'm sure you'd be okay with this thread/it's content being cut-and-pasted regarding their situation.

I mean, after all, they fucked around and found out.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    When one of your loved ones is victimized in a situation where they could've done better, I'm sure you'd be okay with this thread/it's content being cut-and-pasted regarding their situation.

I mean, after all, they fucked around and found out.
    My niece could be this guy. Twenty something, smart mouth, entirely overconfident. SJW by day.
    Lives in Manhattan, moving to Brooklyn. Goes out barhopping and walks home by herself late at night.

Yes... She is FA... by my definition.
    Knowingly rolling the dice and hoping it doesn't come up snake-eyes and completely unprepared for it (physically and mindset) if it does.

And again.... The guy didn't deserve what he got... He was playing a game by the other guys rules and didn't know it.
    Last edited by RoyGBiv; 10-05-2023 at 10:24 AM.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Quote Originally Posted by Kanye Wyoming View Post
    @TGS: I hear you, but in the context of this incident, I’ve been interpreting FAFO as applying on a broader societal basis. You don’t want cops (as the girlfriend made quite clear)? You wanted a DiBlasio, not a Giuliani or Bloomberg? You don’t want bail even for manifestly violent individuals? Now you’ve found out that this isn’t 2008 anymore, when I could let my teenaged kids wander around Times Square late at night by themselves, or when I’d feel safe pretty much anywhere in Manhattan at pretty much any time of the day or night.
    Yes. Thank you.

As many of you know, I used to live in Seattle. A few years ago, I voted with my feet and moved about 30 miles out of the blast radius.

In the last 36 years, I lived in the center of the city. I finished my college degree in an inner-city university. I worked for the part of the Downtown Seattle Association (https://downtownseattle.org/) that’s responsible for cleaning up what it became. I saw Seattle go from being a great place to live, work, and raise kids to a stinking hellhole. I’ve also spent quite a bit of time with friends in Portland, so I also got to see it turn from a hipster punchline to being worse than Seattle.

Both cities are beautiful but what has been done to them would make a stone weep. But it didn’t happen to the cities. It happened to the good people who live in them. I’ll spare you the examples—you can see them on the news every night.

This is disappointing and sad but mostly it’s infuriating. I’m not furious with the addicts in the streets—I’m furious with the politicians who made this possible, with the people keep voting them into office, and with the magical thinkers who refuse to acknowledge when their experiments fail.

My circle is mostly cops and soldiers, but the Pacific Northwest is overpopulated with magical thinkers and you can’t avoid all of them. For nearly four decades, I’ve heard them screech the most inane bullshit about how the social contract should work. At first, they talked like it was a series of Obviously Good Ideas that I would recognize if I just “did the research.” Over time, they began to promote their ideas as policy that should be mandatory. And now much of that policy IS mandatory.

Mr. Carson did not deserve to bleed out at the corner of Malcom X Boulevard and Lafayette Avenue. Nobody does. But the fact that he did is a result of his own bad decisions, his own magical thinking, and his own actions.

So yeah, FAFO.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Lehr View Post
    I agree, In reading about him, I don't really see that - his main efforts were seemingly in recycling, solid waste management and safe injection sites. Don't see much nefarious in those things.
    I agree that there's nothing nefarious about recycling or solid waste management. Good on Mr. Carson for promoting them.

But safe injection sites are a huge first step toward turning your town into the next Seattle, Portland, or San Francisco. They're the definition of nefarious.

https://www.facebook.com/watch/live/...61053371516629

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=867898073676105

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

FAFO

Reading a little further about this guy and his gf, they have a significant history of advocacy for public policy has led to a huge increase in property and violent crime.

Usually it’s other people, not white liberals, who pay the price. That it happened to him, well, how ironic, no?

The GF’s actions in the wake of this shows how “woke” she is.

As opposed to the defund the police Minneapolis council lady who recently got attacked and changed her tune.

Quote Originally Posted by WobblyPossum View Post
    Well said, TGS. Absolutely nothing in this incident pointed to the idea that the victim had it coming. This isn’t a FAFO situation at all, just a tragedy where some poor guy who didn’t have an understanding that violent street criminals aren’t like him got murdered because he thought he was doing the right thing. There’s way too much smugness being displayed in this thread and it’s because the is guy happened to be a left-leaning community activist and not someone the majority of the membership would have agreed with on social and political issues. We can do a lot better.
    Quote Originally Posted by WobblyPossum View Post
    Maybe that’s the disconnect in the conversation, because the phrase “Fuck Around and Find Out” means that you deserved what you got. Whatever the consequences are, you had them coming because of how you were acting. You were fucking around and now you’re about to find out what happens when you fuck around.
    Just wanted to bring these comments to the forefront for those people who continue to misuse the phrase.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Seems like much of the P-F contention is around the wider, FA zeitgeist. In the moment, right before 4am, this guy was not fucking around. He was only guilty of being naive.

Now, was he part of a wider, un-wisdom of crowds level of fucking around? Probably. In that regard, many major urban areas under mono party control are fucking around, and we are ALL finding out.

These two ideas can certainly co-exist: this guy was the victim of completely unwarranted violence, of the type that drove many of us here to the study of the gun in the first place. I wish that he had been the flavor of lib who still takes a good national-level defensive pistolcraft class, and lives somewhere where the training could do some good. I absolutely hope they find and badger-hole the guy who stabbed him.

And, simultaneously, folks of his ilk have both voted, and worked around voting, to create the sorts of fertile ground for this shit that Seattle, parts of NYC, and frankly, my own hometown (in classic, “we’re 10 years behind the times” fashion) get to enjoy.

He did NOT have that coming. And, some of the ideas he bought into no doubt contributed in part to his demise. Maybe. Or maybe his number just came up. So far, it seems that this was the definition of random violence. JMO.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

I'm not going to scold or vilify anyone here for the use of an acronym that can be fairly interpreted in any number of ways.

As for those individuals (regardless of their political leanings) who attempt to do what Mr. Carson attempted (injecting himself into a very bad situation when various routes of departure existed), I'd like to propose a more fitting acronym to folks who exceed their range by injecting themselves into no-win situations: YSKBTT

*You Should Know Better Than That

In any event, what happened was truly a tragedy.
    ''Politics is for the present, but an equation is for eternity.'' ―Albert Einstein

Full disclosure per the Pistol-Forum CoC: I am the author of Quantitative Ammunition Selection.

Quote Originally Posted by mmc45414 View Post
    And his GF stood there saying "Please"...
    Been contemplating this a bit more, and I sure hope if I ever get knifed to death in front of my wife she would react a bit differently. At least GTF outta there to save her own ass, this woman just stood there trying to make friends, not even reacting to getting spit on. She is lucky the guy didn't decide he didn't want to leave any witnesses.

I think this is just an instance of Death By Naivete, thinking that evil doesn't exist, and a righteous confrontation will make it all right. We have a friend like this, she thinks her Girl Power will protect her from all harm. A few years ago a speeding vehicle lost control turning onto her street, launched off an embankment next to an alley, and ran into her house, bouncing off the top (fortunately concrete) step of the porch. If Bo and Duke (not their real names...) had been carrying just a little more speed they would have ended up in her living room. So she calls all understandably upset, telling me a car ran into her house and asking us to please come over. I tell her to stay in the house and call the police and don't come out until they are there, and we will be right there (as quick as I can strap on a pistol...), and she tells me she has already been out there, sticking her phone in everyone's face taking pictures. Some people just don't think anything bad can happen to them, like maybe whoever this asshole was running from caught up, and she ends up holding a phone in the middle of a gunfight. And like this poor putz, walking towards some unhinged asshole already acting violently, and the girlfriend just standing there talking, like words actually are violence.
    Last edited by mmc45414; 10-05-2023 at 11:50 AM.

User Tag List