Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Approved Firearm Modifications

My old org had a very liberal (in the correct meaning of the word) firearms policy, including modifications.

Any mods, excluding lights, had to be supported by an armorer and approved by the program manager. That was a large part of what allowed me to spend all of 2012 working patrol with an optic on my pistol. WML were not considered modifications.

A few people would try to bypass it every so often. But that generally got caught and addressed.

We allow only grip tape, an extended slide release, and iron sight changes (parts must be from an approved list). An agency armorer must do the changes, except the grip tape.

In my younger days I was irritated that I wasn't allowed to make changes myself. Back when we had SIG P229s, by policy I couldn't even put on the approved Hogue grips myself! Now that I'm an FI and armorer, and deal with the results of abuse, neglect, and improper mods, that are brought to guys like me to fix, I understand why the policy exists. 90% of the folks who would want to make changes can be trusted to do it themselves, and do it right. The other 10% would screw it up spectacularly, and its that 10% that drive the strict policy.

Very little is allowed where I am. Replacement sights are allowed, within limits, like replacing stock Glock sights with Ameriglo Agents. Grip tape seems acceptable. Any change must be lead-armorer approved on a form and that is its own issue. Funny example...a guy with a grandfathered P229 put aftermarket G10 grips on the gun because they fit his hand better. He was ordered to take them off because they were not a factory part and thus prohibited. I loaned him a pair of identical grips marketed by Sig as Legion grips and he got those ruled to be acceptable because they were a Sig branded part. Same grip, same manufacturer, but with a "Legion" emblem on them. So he bought a set of those.

User Tag List