Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: 308 semi s

Quote Originally Posted by JohnO View Post
    I have a SCAR 17 and am curious about your comments about suppressing. I changed the muzzle device and have a Sons of Liberty 7.62 NOX and use a Dead Air Sandman. It has the two position gas regulator. If I switch it to the suppressed setting the gun will not cycle unsuppressed. I figured it was made to run suppressed?
    What ammo are you shooting? Mine worked just fine in both positions with the random NATO surplus ammo I was feeding it...I swapped the factory gas jet (1.45mm) to a PMM 1.4mm and it no longer cycled on the "not normal" setting. The manual (at least mine) never actually explains what the gas settings are, just that the 12-oclock position of the gas regulator is the correct position for normal firing.

I could probably safely put a 1.35mm gas jet in, but I wanted to make sure there was a decent buffer for the operating envelope of the thing.

If you check fnforum.net you'll see a bunch of people who either didn't adjust their gas jetting or put on super high blowback cans on their guns, wound up beating it up/cracking the rear of the receiver, and FN wouldn't warranty the guns because they weren't being fired with FN approved suppressors...all that with the gun in the "suppressed" setting.

I don't shoot mine with a can all that much, but when I do, I'm really, really cautious with it.

Colt is bringing back the CM5 is 13in and 16in varieties. Good option if you want a 308 rifle.

Site Supporter
    Original HK spec G3's and HK91's have a buffer assembly intended to keep the weapon intact when firing rifle grenades. Meaning it's stiff as hell.

A few different guys like Bill Springfield and a few others have figured out how to make the buffer reduce felt recoil substantially, but ostensibly at the expense of being bomb-proof with things like rifle grenades and proof-load ammo.
    Typically these changes include a longer pushrod so the bolt carrier contacts the buffer sooner and thereby slows the bolt carrier for a lot longer in the firing cycle, and that's paired with a different spring that doesn't have a travel limiter included into it. I've used the Bill Springfield buffer kits to good effect in a factory HK91 and a couple of clones, including a PTR.

As I understand it, the buffers found in newer PTR91's include these changes from the factory.

Quote Originally Posted by JRB View Post
    Original HK spec G3's and HK91's have a buffer assembly intended to keep the weapon intact when firing rifle grenades. Meaning it's stiff as hell.

A few different guys like Bill Springfield and a few others have figured out how to make the buffer reduce felt recoil substantially, but ostensibly at the expense of being bomb-proof with things like rifle grenades and proof-load ammo.
    Typically these changes include a longer pushrod so the bolt carrier contacts the buffer sooner and thereby slows the bolt carrier for a lot longer in the firing cycle, and that's paired with a different spring that doesn't have a travel limiter included into it. I've used the Bill Springfield buffer kits to good effect in a factory HK91 and a couple of clones, including a PTR.

As I understand it, the buffers found in newer PTR91's include these changes from the factory.
    Thank you. That, is a very interesting bit of info and explains why some people consider that gun to recoil more, and some people don't.

Quote Originally Posted by JTMcC View Post
    Thank you. That, is a very interesting bit of info and explains why some people consider that gun to recoil more, and some people don't.
    Having the right locking piece also plays a huge role. There's at least 30 different locking pieces that could be used...something like 8 or 10 of them for G3/G3k/HK91/other 308 models could be swapped in and used depending on the ammo, barrel length, so on so forth.

https://www.geekgunman.com/hklp.htm - HK locking piece table

Quote Originally Posted by JRB View Post

Interesting! That never would have occurred to me, so thanks for sharing that information.

Quote Originally Posted by Evil_Ed View Post
    Having the right locking piece also plays a huge role. There's at least 30 different locking pieces that could be used...something like 8 or 10 of them for G3/G3k/HK91/other 308 models could be swapped in and used depending on the ammo, barrel length, so on so forth.

https://www.geekgunman.com/hklp.htm - HK locking piece table
    Thanks for that too.

You buncha enabling SOB's... now I'm starting to want a PTR, and some Sphur stocks to go on it.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....-17-discussion

I don’t know how much interest there might be but there are some older observations regarding one user’s journey through .30 caliber battle and precision rifles in this thread.
    You can get much more of what you want with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.

User Tag List