Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: 308 semi s

Quote Originally Posted by Odin Bravo One View Post
    Your experience is going to be different; and I’m not here to convince anyone that their choice is not the gem they believe it to be. If something works for you, great. My experience with them ended with me spearheading their removal from the organizational inventory, and subsequent replacement. Perhaps they’ve improved some…… but I won’t waste my money on being the beta tester.
    I should have stated that my experience may be dated. My jump in point was the EMC. So thats about 2012? And what also should be stated is that I have no emotional investment in my rifles. If something better comes along, then out it goes. I just havent found anything better...yet. At this point it has appreciated so heavily due to collector value, its hard not to consider selling it, since im not really a collector. But I dont see anything that I would replace it with and I trust that rifle! Ive let it get so dirty it oosed carbon and grime but never malfunctioned. Ive got a fair number of rifles but its the proverbial, if i could only grab 1, that's the one. What it does better than the others, for me, is the ability to practically run it like an m4 and then go prone and connect at 800 yds. Thats a broad scope of capability which is what I was after in a 308 platform.

I only have one and it is a SA Socom16. Absolutely love that rifle. It is freaking loud, but has always run100% and very accurate.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by claymore504 View Post
    I only have one and it is a SA Socom16. Absolutely love that rifle. It is freaking loud, but has always run100% and very accurate.

More interested in the ammo in the mags

Evil Ed’s response/experience (post #21) pretty much mirrors mine.

AR-10s shot great and handled recoil well, took optics easy, and had that old familiar AR feeling, but the lack of standardization got aggravating at times. However, my experience was mostly before the Magpul 7.62 mags were everywhere, which would’ve helped that a lot.

I have a love/hate relationship with the M1A. I spent enough time lying in the sun with one shooting Highpower to have a sick attachment. I’ll always keep mine, but it’s one of the last rifles I’d pick to depend on. As SA used less and less GI parts, my confidence lowered even more. And the cast receiver never made me feel completely confident either.
    Optics mounting sucks, and adapting the stock to use it is as bad or worse.
    Have I had one re-bedded? Oh yes, a couple of times, but when they were common in Highpower, it was standard practice for a lot of guys to do it every winter. It was just part of regular maintenance to them. Look at the Garand receiver: It has four “legs” that extend downward and (ideally) make contact with the stock. The M14/M1A only has two. Some blame this reduced contact area for beating the bedding up, which always sounded reasonable to me.

I had an HK 91 for a while. The weight wasn’t bad, especially considering how much metal was in that thing. I don’t know if you can make one malfunction without working hard at it. But it had it’s downsides. The trigger was terrible. I hated the ergos. The trigger might be worse than a AK. Recoil was probably the worst of any of the .308 semiautos I had. The trigger was crap. Optics mounting can be done, but I wouldn’t call it easy. And the trigger sucks.
    Everything I needed to buy for it was expensive, until the surplussed-out G3s hit the market. I haven’t checked lately, but I’m sure those pieces are drying up or will soon, and we’ll be returned to past prices or worse since HK hasn’t made anything for them in years. That’s another thing; you are dependent upon someone other than HK for parts now. I don’t know if that matters, but I would think it would.
    Don’t listen to the gunshop “experts” who say you can’t reload the brass. I don’t know what they are talking about. You can reload it…if you can find it.
    But that trigger!

FALs are neat. A funny thing about them is they seem to be “close” or “almost” at everything. They may not be the most reliable or durable, but are close. Ergonomics aren’t the best but they are OK. They aren’t the most accurate, but aren’t bad. Maintenance is easy as can be. An overlooked plus to them IMO is the design puts up with sloppy construction pretty well. I’ve seen some really poorly made parts guns that worked just fine. I still have a Century Faux-FAL that was made from parts that are clearly worn slap out, and I don’t think it’s ever missed a beat.
    Optics mounting is a pain.
    Another overlooked thing about FALs is that while they are long, they are also slim. They are actually skinny. Tht May or may not matter to someone for storage/carrying.

My favorite is the SCAR 17. The weight is about as good as it gets. They work. They are accurate. Although it seems like the first thing people do is run out and put a new trigger in it, the stock one is fine. Everybody puts an optic on it (which is easy as can be) but the iron sights are pretty good.
    It’s expensive, but you don’t have to add much to it.

I haven’t shot a Sig Spear, so can’t comment. The one I handled sure felt heavy, though.

I need to give an Honorable Mention to what may be a surprise to some.
    I like .308 Garands.
    Yes, I beat up on the M1A, but the Garand is a different deal IMO. They are made of great parts, which are still available from several sources. A barrel change to a .308 barrel is usually all that’s needed.

Quote Originally Posted by BarryinIN View Post

AR-10s shot great and handled recoil well, took optics easy, and had that old familiar AR feeling, but the lack of standardization got aggravating at times. However, my experience was mostly before the Magpul 7.62 mags were everywhere, which would’ve helped that a lot.

I have a love/hate relationship with the M1A. I spent enough time lying in the sun with one shooting Highpower to have a sick attachment. I’ll always keep mine, but it’s one of the last rifles I’d pick to depend on. As SA used less and less GI parts, my confidence lowered even more. And the cast receiver never made me feel completely confident either.
    Have I had one re-bedded? Oh yes, a couple of times, but when they were common in Highpower, it was standard practice for a lot of guys to do it every winter. It was just part of regular maintenance to them. Look at the Garand receiver: It has four “legs” that extend downward and (ideally) make contact with the stock. The M14/M1A only has two. Some blame this reduced contact area for beating the bedding up, which always sounded reasonable to me.

I had an HK 91 for a while. The weight wasn’t bad, especially considering how much metal was in that thing. I don’t know if you can make one malfunction without working hard at it. But it had it’s downsides. The trigger was terrible. I hated the ergos. The trigger might be worse than a AK. Recoil was probably the worst of any of the .308 semiautos I had. The trigger was crap. Optics mounting can be done, but I wouldn’t call it easy. And the trigger sucks.
    Everything I needed to buy for it was expensive, until the surplussed-out G3s hit the market. I haven’t checked lately, but I’m sure those pieces are drying up or will soon, and we’ll be returned to past prices or worse since HK hasn’t made anything for them in years. That’s another thing; you are dependent upon someone other than HK for parts now. I don’t know if that matters, but I would think it would.
    Don’t listen to the gunshop “experts” who say you can’t reload the brass. I don’t know what they are talking about. You can reload it…if you can find it.
    But that trigger!

FALs are neat. A funny thing about them is they seem to be “close” or “almost” at everything. They may not be the most reliable or durable, but are close. Ergonomics aren’t the best but they are OK. They aren’t the most accurate, but aren’t bad. Maintenance is easy as can be. An overlooked plus to them IMO is the design puts up with sloppy construction pretty well. I’ve seen some really poorly made parts guns that worked just fine. I still have a Century Faux-FAL that was made from parts that are clearly worn slap out, and I don’t think it’s ever missed a beat.
    Another overlooked thing about FALs is that while they are long, they are also slim. They are actually skinny. Tht May or may not matter to someone for storage/carrying.

My favorite is the SCAR 17. The weight is about as good as it gets. They work. They are accurate. Although it seems like the first thing people do is run out and put a new trigger in it, the stock one is fine. Everybody puts an optic on it (which is easy as can be) but the iron sights are pretty good.

I haven’t shot a Sig Spear, so can’t comment. The one I handled sure felt heavy, though.

I like .308 Garands.
    Yes, I beat up on the M1A, but the Garand is a different deal IMO. They are made of great parts, which are still available from several sources. A barrel change to a .308 barrel is usually all that’s needed.
    I'm 100% in agreement with this. Every time I look at an AR10, I get caught up with paralysis by analysis because of all the different variantions and lack of an actual "AR10" standard.

I had an HK91 back in the day, and it was exceptionally accurate, but it kicked like a mule.

I wouldn't touch an M1A with a stick, and have had several disappointing iterations.

The FAL is a guilty pleasure of mine, I'd love to have a Para Congo, but not willing to put up with the stress of getting one to run well and accurately.

The SCAR17 is still my all-time favorite heavy rifle, but I just can't afford the entry cost, or the cost of magazines.

And, if I could find a 308 M1 "Tanker" I'd snap it up in a hurry...

But that trigger!

I like .308 Garands.
    I had a response typed (twice) and when I clicked the Submit Reply button, I got a page full of error messaging about being blocked for using html. I did split your quote into pieces with tags and bolded a line I wanted to address, but I didn't do anything that should be a problem given the editing tools available. Weird. The autosaves of my previous messages seem to have disappeared in a poof of smoke, probably to punish me for my insolence.

I shall summarize:

* Your report of the felt recoil when firing an HK91 interests me because it's the opposite of what I experienced when firing a PTR-91 recently. It was probably the softest shooting .308 rifle I've fired.

* Could the clone be that different?

* Your SCAR 17 is indeed a fine tool and I thank you again for letting me shoot it during our rifle night shoot years ago. It definitely made it easy to put bullets where you wanted them to go. The Trijicon glass you had on top was just as impressive, though. I was surprised by its light gathering and clarity under those conditions, making it easy to locate and identify targets under star and moonlight.

Quote Originally Posted by Evil_Ed View Post

If I had to pick up and bail for whatever reason, the SCAR would be coming with - about the only thing I haven't done to it is SBRed it and put on a short barrel...the 16" looks kind of wonky on it, but it works. It's light, low recoil for the caliber, nice long top rail, ergonomics are fine, etc. Downside is it's not super suppressor-friendly for civvies (FN will disavow the gun if it thinks you've shot it suppressed and damaged it); there's some aftermarket gas plugs to deal with it and you can replace gas jets in it to adjust how it acts yourself, but it's not intuitive.
    I have a SCAR 17 and am curious about your comments about suppressing. I changed the muzzle device and have a Sons of Liberty 7.62 NOX and use a Dead Air Sandman. It has the two position gas regulator. If I switch it to the suppressed setting the gun will not cycle unsuppressed. I figured it was made to run suppressed?

Guilty as charged. I put a Geissele Super Scar trigger in my 17. Also have a 1-6 x 24 LPVO, a SWFA HD SS.
    Last edited by JohnO; 10-14-2023 at 04:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rhino on INGO View Post

* Your report of the felt recoil when firing an HK91 interests me because it's the opposite of what I experienced when firing a PTR-91 recently. It was probably the softest shooting .308 rifle I've fired.

* Could the clone be that different?
    That is interesting. This is second time in the last two weeks I have heard or read someone say that about the felt recoil an HK91 or clone. The other guy might have been talking about a PeTeR-91 also, come to think of it.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnO View Post
    Guilty as charged. I put a Geissele Super Scar trigger in my 17. Also have a 1-6 x 24 LPVO, a SWFA HD SS.
    What? 1-6X? Haven't you read on another forum that you need a Nightforce 5.5-22x56 and an Atlas bipod to "take advantage of the SCAR's accuracy"?
    You just have to take a sub-8lb rifle and make it outweigh a Garand by at least two pounds or you're not even trying.

(The trigger I can at least understand. The scopes bigger than I have on my F-Class rifle are what make me wonder.)

What? 1-6X? Haven't you read on another forum that you need a Nightforce 5.5-22x56 and an Atlas bipod to "take advantage of the SCAR's accuracy"?
    You just have to take a sub-8lb rifle and make it outweigh a Garand by at least two pounds or you're not even trying.

(The trigger I can at least understand. The scopes bigger than I have on my F-Class rifle are what make me wonder.)

It must be very efficient shooting offhand at 5.5X with all of that weight. Not.

User Tag List