Thread: Do you own a Zastava ZPAP M70? How is your trigger?

Do you own a Zastava ZPAP M70? How is your trigger?

Finally had a chance to get my second ZPAP M70 to the range yesterday. The first one I bought has a trigger with a zero-resistance pull to a wall that breaks relatively lightly, compared to a mil-spec M4 rifle, but is very distinct. This second M70 trigger has a pretty normal AK length zero-resistance pull but zero “wall”…. I mean zero. There’s no way to tell when the trigger will break and the rifle will fire.

I found the following video on YouTube and these guys describe my rifle’s trigger exactly at 6:30 min …

https://youtu.be/c0eqGSvvSTc?si=d-fTImwmkaYmwyXi

I’m not sure which (or both?) of my rifle’s triggers are correct. Is there normally this much difference in same model AK triggers?

Owners of a ZPAP M70, is your trigger pull zero resistance and a completely non-existent wall? I wanted to use this rifle in an HD role but not knowing when this rifle will fire kinda scares me.

I have a Z-PAP 92 SBR, and it has the nicest out-of-the-box AK trigger I've ever felt. It's smooth, crisp, and has no ambiguity about when it's going to fire.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    I've had 3 Zastava rifles and a few other AK pattern guns. They have good triggers by AK standards but like AK triggers, little to no wall. Certainly better than my Arsenal and G2 triggers but nothing like a good 2-stage. ALG makes a "nice" AK trigger but many people have reported abnormal bolt carrier tail peenning. On the range you can play with staging the trigger on an AK but for any serious use I wouldn't try.
    Last edited by Suvorov; 10-04-2023 at 12:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    I have a Z-PAP 92 SBR, and it has the nicest out-of-the-box AK trigger I've ever felt. It's smooth, crisp, and has no ambiguity about when it's going to fire.
    Thank you for posting this. That’s exactly how my first M70 trigger feels.

Quote Originally Posted by Suvorov View Post
    On the range you can play with staging the trigger on an AK but for any serious use I wouldn't try.
    That’s true. There’s no way to stage the trigger in this second M70. There’s literally no “wall” and there’s no way to stage the trigger or pull to the wall and stop. There’s the very slightest, almost imperceptible, “click” where the wall should be but there’s no resistance and it’s impossible to regulate pressure at that point without firing the rifle. Hopefully I’m explaining that correctly. I’ve emailed Zastava on Monday but haven’t received a response yet. I appreciate your input on this issue.

I will add this, other than my Valmet which has a good 2 stage trigger, the most "2-stage" like trigger of all the AKs I've had has been my two current Zastavas (an M70 and M90) both have a distinct yet very soft wall. My 556 Beryl came with a FIME trigger (as well as the original Polish trigger in a bag) which is a little less distinct than the Zastava's but there. Oddly enough my 762 Beryl came with the original trigger which has just one smooth(but somewhat gritty) pull like my Arsenal with both the Bulgarian and G2 triggers. I don't recall the trigger on my previous ZPAP being any different but my Romanian SAR1 was terrible and slappy as hell. All in all, I've found the Zastava triggers as being the better of the import AKs.

Not sure if my 556 Beryl trigger is the same one I linked to but that may be an option. I do know that there is a bit of drama regarding Zastava and aftermarket triggers. Zastava USA made a point to having their rifles ship with factory triggers and not US made aftermarket. They claim this is to prevent wear on the Bolt Carrier that was being reported with the Century imported guns. Anecdotal evidence shows that there may be some merit here and I have heard rumor that Zastava USA won't warranty your rifle if you are using an aftermarket trigger. I have also heard of many issues with Arsenal rifles and aftermarket triggers. There is debate between whether this is due to the material hardness of the aftermarket triggers or the profile of the hammer. As a result I am somewhat hesitant of using aftermarket triggers on my AKs.

As I see it, the AK is what it is and if one is wanting to use one as a defensive rifle one should probably just learn to use the trigger as it is. It has shown to be a more than capable combat trigger but not as fine as what we have come to expect from an AR trigger and I would not try to stage the trigger of even my better ones at all for such a purpose. The length of pull provides some measure protection somewhat like a DA trigger on a pistol.

I sent an email to Zastava USA asking about the trigger. Their response:

“The factory trigger should have even travel throughout and a clean break. It shouldn't have a perceivable wall as there will be no weight of pull difference between the start and finish of the triggers cycle like there would be in a 2-stage trigger.”

I’m really grateful they took the time to reply and explain how the standard M70 trigger should feel. I guess I should feel lucky my first M70 has a non-standard trigger with a crisp wall that suits me better. 😀

Quote Originally Posted by Snidely Whiplash View Post
    I sent an email to Zastava USA asking about the trigger. Their response

“The factory trigger should have even travel throughout and a clean break. It shouldn't have a perceivable wall as there will be no weight of pull difference between the start and finish of the triggers cycle like there would be in a 2-stage trigger.”

I’m really grateful they took the time to reply and explain how the standard M70 trigger should feel. I guess I should feel lucky my first M70 has a non-standard trigger with a crisp wall that suits me better. 😀
    That is exactly how my Arsenal and G2 triggers are as well as my Polish milspec Beryl is. It would be interesting to put my Zastavas on a gauge and see.

Makes sense when you look at what the weapon was designed for.

Might be worth your time to try a FIME trigger and just pay attention to any peening of the bolt carrier tail

Quote Originally Posted by Suvorov View Post
    Might be worth your time to try a FIME trigger and just pay attention to any peening of the bolt carrier tail
    It’s funny you mention the FIME trigger. I have an email out to them as well asking about compatibility with the M70. I have an Arsenal SAM7SF with the FIME trigger. It’s an excellent trigger and suits me perfectly. That trigger and rifle make me look like a much better shooter than I am.

Thanks again for your taking the time to offer up help and suggestions. Very much appreciated.

User Tag List