Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: ENCLOSED EMITTER+RMR FOOTPRINT

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Magsz View Post
    Shouldn't the recoil bosses/lugs be taking the brunt of the recoil energy?
    On pistols, I’m more concerned with installation / removal issues, cross threading etc than shearing under recoil.

Shotguns tend to be harder on….everything.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    On pistols, I’m more concerned with installation / removal issues, cross threading etc than shearing under recoil.

Shotguns tend to be harder on….everything.
    I hear ya. Having said that though, if there are recoil bosses, shouldn't we be ok? RMR's are holding up on CROM mounts on the 1301's just fine it seems.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Magsz View Post
    I hear ya. Having said that though, if there are recoil bosses, shouldn't we be ok? RMR's are holding up on CROM mounts on the 1301's just fine it seems.
    How many broken, cross threaded, stuck, broken etc optics screws have you seen ? Not to mention the wonky Torque procedure.

The more I think about capstan screws the less ai want to deal with them on anything.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    How many broken, cross threaded, stuck, broken etc optics screws have you seen ? Not to mention the wonky Torque procedure.

The more I think about capstan screws the less ai want to deal with them on anything.
    I'm not an armorer so I don't have that data.

I've been running optics full time since 2016. I have never personally broken or stripped a screw. I have however seen a handful of issues and read about a zillion more so yeah, it's an issue.

I'm still confused as to why you're worried about recoil on a shotgun for this optic? Once again, shouldn't the recoil bosses mitigate this? I would imagine that a Capstan screw is probably harder to strip than a torx/allen? Do you disagree? You seem REALLY leery of this optic and i'm wondering why? I'm not really familiar with Capstan screws.

Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post
    . If there were a partial cap compromise (unlikely failure mechanism) could use a washer in a collar to clamp a drill bit from walking and sliding and drill out the cap similar to how you would drill out the head of a traditional screw.
    If you're saying that you can drill the cap from the side, that's going to be far more difficult than drilling the head of a traditional screw. There's not a lot of room, and I think it would take a good setup in a milling machine to not hit the optic. I agree that it's unlikely to happen, but there's always an idiot who can fuck up anything that has been engineered.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    If you're saying that you can drill the cap from the side, that's going to be far more difficult than drilling the head of a traditional screw. There's not a lot of room, and I think it would take a good setup in a milling machine to not hit the optic. I agree that it's unlikely to happen, but there's always an idiot who can fuck up anything that has been engineered.
    IMO it wouldn’t be bad.

I have this jig but you could make something similar pretty easily.

Name:  IMG_4521.jpg
Views: 172
Size:  40.4 KBName:  IMG_4523.jpg
Views: 173
Size:  36.5 KB

Spring loaded punch the cap head and clamp jig to slide wearing optic.

Dremel or drill press with carbide tip.

I’ve done similar things when I was drilling ports in a barrel while it was still in the slide, through the slide cut windows.

Doesn't the RCR require milling the recoil bosses flat (IE: removing them completely) to mount to the RMR footprint?

Not that I’ve heard.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post
    IMO it wouldn’t be bad.
    I thought we're talking about accessing the screw here:

Name:  Cap screw.JPG
Views: 158
Size:  24.4 KB

Then drilling/milling the head through that opening.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    I thought we're talking about accessing the screw here:

Name:  Cap screw.JPG
Views: 158

Then drilling/milling the head through that opening.
    We are.

So think of the following.

1. If there’s a fracture or screw failure, the cap head is going to be loose and just slide out with the tip still stuck in the slide. Then it’ll be no different than any other optic removal and screw extraction with vampliers.

2. The mounting of these is you hand thread one screw with the optic off and the slide the body on. You won’t cross thread both sides. If you cross thread one side, the optic won’t tighten down because it won’t be flush angled and you can cut or saw it from below. But you won’t be able to get to that point realistically.

So basically you won’t get to either of those failure points that makes extraction worse than a traditional optic.

BUT…. let’s say for the sake of discussion you did fuck up royally and you need to extract the screw.

I don’t think it would be a big deal.

Spring loaded punch to dimple here in green and then jig or drill press with a 2mm carbide bit.

Name:  IMG_4525.jpeg
Views: 140
    Last edited by JCN; 10-04-2023 at 10:27 AM.

User Tag List