Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: ENCLOSED EMITTER+RMR FOOTPRINT

ENCLOSED EMITTER+RMR FOOTPRINT

I have not one but two shotgun mounts that fit the RMR footprint. Preferring to use an enclosed emitter style sight for a long gun what are my options?

Bonus points if the sight does not require some sort of intermediate adapter plate to make it work out. the lowest possible solution would be best here.

Thanks for any ideas...
    My apologies to weasels.

Trijicon just released the RCR. It’s more expensive than the RMR but uses the same footprint and mounts with capstan screws.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by 314159 View Post
    I have not one but two shotgun mounts that fit the RMR footprint. Preferring to use an enclosed emitter style sight for a long gun what are my options?

Bonus points if the sight does not require some sort of intermediate adapter plate to make it work out. the lowest possible solution would be best here.

Thanks for any ideas...
    As noted the new Trijicon fits the bill but I have concerns about the capstan screws used for mounting, especially under shotgun recoil.

Other options such as the ACRO and Holosun EPS /509 require an adapter plate.

That saved me research which might have gone down some rabbit holes. Thanks.
    My apologies to weasels.

Quote Originally Posted by 314159 View Post
    That saved me research which might have gone down some rabbit holes. Thanks.
    The new Trijicon is the only game in town that doesn’t require an adapter plate.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

Can anyone explain the perceived advantage of a capstan screw to mount an optic on a weapon?

Quote Originally Posted by 1911Nut View Post
    Can anyone explain the perceived advantage of a capstan screw to mount an optic on a weapon?
    Not sure there are a lot advantages, except that this allows the unit to be direct mounted on an RMR cut slide. Given that the RMR cut was one of the first years ago, that means no retrofitting a plate or another slide/cut.
    The system does not have a lot of exposure, and it remains to be seen if the screws can be torqued appropriately. Time will tell.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by 1911Nut View Post
    There isn’t one other than indulging Trijicon’s vanity.

It lets let you turn a screw from the side when top access is impossible. Such as a closed emitter optic using on open emitter footprint.,

Which is great until everything doesn’t work perfectly. good luck dealing with stuck broken or miss threaded capstan screws.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Which is great until everything doesn’t work perfectly. good luck dealing with stuck broken or miss threaded capstan screws.
    Theoretically it should still be reasonable unless BOTH capstan screws fail at the same time.

The sliding notch on the unit means that if one side still works, the other side can slide the optic off even if broken or nonfunctional. Theoretically.

Also, if the cap broke off, then it would be even simpler to remove the optic.

If there were a partial cap compromise (unlikely failure mechanism) could use a washer in a collar to clamp a drill bit from walking and sliding and drill out the cap similar to how you would drill out the head of a traditional screw.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    As noted the new Trijicon fits the bill but I have concerns about the capstan screws used for mounting, especially under shotgun recoil.

Other options such as the ACRO and Holosun EPS /509 require an adapter plate.
    Shouldn't the recoil bosses/lugs be taking the brunt of the recoil energy?

User Tag List