Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gunsmith for Ammunition Pressure Curves

Gunsmith for Ammunition Pressure Curves

Weird question, but here's hoping:

I'd like to instrument a Ruger 77/44- I want to see the pressure curves out of my handloads. The old RSI/PressureTrace II website shows impeding retirement and a total lack of anything in stock.

If I could send the rifle out and get it back with the necessary strain gauges attached, along with a method of capturing the pressure curves (I've got a spare laptop), then that would be great- but that's not a thing I see advertised by smiths, lol. Does anyone have any leads?

Thanks!

Noah
    Per the PF Code of Conduct, I have a commercial interest in the StreakTM product as sold by Ammo, Inc.

Have you tried googling your load and pressure test curve and see if anyone has posted the info?

I believe the equipment is fairly common these days, surely someone has the data available or could check it.
    “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

Yep, the data online is great- but for this particular effort, I really want to actually measure the pressure of the loads.
    Per the PF Code of Conduct, I have a commercial interest in the StreakTM product as sold by Ammo, Inc.

Site Supporter
    [QUOTE=Bergeron;1514576]Weird question, but here's hoping:

I'd like to instrument a Ruger 77/44- I want to see the pressure curves out of my handloads. The old RSI/PressureTrace II website shows impeding retirement and a total lack of anything in stock.

If I could send the rifle out and get it back with the necessary strain gauges attached, along with a method of capturing the pressure curves (I've got a spare laptop), then that would be great- but that's not a thing I see advertised by smiths, lol. Does anyone have any leads?

Thanks

Our member outlook can advise you. I'm misspelling his name. Somebody correct my error. Thanks.

Google "strain gauge." There's a DIY setup available. I saw a guy on another forum using it to test shotgun loads.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by willie View Post
    Our member outlook can advise you. I'm misspelling his name. Somebody correct my error. Thanks.
    I'm assuming you are thinking of @Outpost75...seems like the type of thing he would know.

Larry Gibson has been pressure testing .44 Magnum loads for me.

Pressure Trace II ?

Quote Originally Posted by Bergeron View Post
    Weird question, but here's hoping:

Thanks!

Noah
    It's kind of a DIY option, but have you considered something like this?

https://www.shootingsoftware.com/pressure.htm
    ''Politics is for the present, but an equation is for eternity.'' ―Albert Einstein

Full disclosure per the Pistol-Forum CoC: I am the author of Quantitative Ammunition Selection.

My apologies. Missed that portion of your post above that you've ruled out this option for reasons to described above. That's what I get for posting tired this late at night.
    ''Politics is for the present, but an equation is for eternity.'' ―Albert Einstein

Full disclosure per the Pistol-Forum CoC: I am the author of Quantitative Ammunition Selection.

I scrounged a PressureTraceII!

Yahoooooo. It’s gut a couple of cables that look like they interface with the strain gauges, and a flash drive. I hope that the software is in the flash drive, and that I can find a way to run the older software on a newer computer.

User Tag List