Thread: Can't Take Anything for Granted...

Site Supporter

Can't Take Anything for Granted...

I have a 4" M10-5 which I got cheap years ago from a local guy who is into high-end collectible S&Ws (he has five pre-27 3-1/2" Magnums) who sometimes had to take the chaff with the wheat in his deals, so to speak. I was glad to take the chaff. I sent the cylinder and thumbpiece to Clark's, where they chamfered the chamber mouths and relieved the thumbpiece for speedloaders. Then I had a local guy re-blue it, which it badly needed. This was all pre-2005 because the guy who re-blued it left after Hurricane Rita. I carried it and shot it occasionally, using the R-P version of the FBI load for carry and my 158-grain handloads for practice. After all, it's a fixed-sight K frame, what else would you shoot in it? I was heavily into IDPA at the time and practiced exclusively on IDPA targets with that big 8" -0 zone. After that, either my daughter had it or it sat in the safe.

I got it out again recently and for the first time since I've had it benched it and shot it on a B-8. It was about three inches high and two to the right at ten yards using my 158-grain handloads. Oops. I have some 125-grain handloads I use for my 642 because that's what it's regulated for, and took them today with the 10-5 and tried again. They went maybe an inch below the black (using a six o'clock hold) and a bit to the right. I know that my groups benched are a little lower than when shooting off-hand, so I tried a couple of goes at the Five Yard Roundup using the 125s and ended up with a 94 and a 97. I'm going to go back out there with my remaining Ranger Bonded and HydraShok Deep (and a flat file just in case) and verify POI both at ten and 25 yards.

I've got several 4" K frames and the 10-5 is the lightest among them. My freestyle splits on the drills were in the .3x ballpark with almost all of them in the 10 ring, so recoil isn't a problem. It moves handily, like my 3" M10-7. I don't know if this is going to become my main carry revolver, but it's in contention.
    "Everything in life is really simple, provided you don’t know a f—–g thing about it." - Kevin D. Williamson

Check zero on others? Eye sight changes can occur.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeke38 View Post
    Check zero on others? Eye sight changes can occur.
    I've recently shot my two other M10s and they're dead on with 158s. Eyesight does change but I don't think that's what's happening here.
    "Everything in life is really simple, provided you don’t know a f—–g thing about it." - Kevin D. Williamson

Dumb question here- has it ever been dropped?
    For it to be consistently shooting right when it didn't before makes me suspect a frame geometry change or misalignment.

In the past, such things were often adjusted by gunsmiths using a lead billet when the customer was not present.
    "If I ever needed to hunt in a tuxedo, then this would be the rifle I'd take." - okie john

"Not being able to govern events, I govern myself." - Michel De Montaigne

Site Supporter
    I never benched it before, so I’m not sure it was zeroed when I got it. It shoots my lead bullet handloads to the right, I need to check it with jacketed and plated bullets.

Site Supporter
    I went to the range today with a flat file and my remaining stash of 130-grain Ranger Bonded JHPs. I got the ammo to hit POA vertically at ten yards but it's still a bit to the right, in the ten ring when aiming at the X. At five yards and in, shooting DA, I really can't tell the difference. At 25 yards, it'll stay in the black of a B-8. I'm going to hit the top of the front sight with some cold blue and call it good.

Sounds like a plan I could live with.

User Tag List