Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Quick rings vs. mount LPVO and optic height questions

I’m trying a Reptilia 1.54” AUS mount for a Steiner P4Xi on a SBR. I’ve only finger tight mounted it on another SBR, but it looks workable so far - and it’s light.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    It wouldn’t shock me but I haven’t seen it either. Do you know where you saw that? I’m curious what part broke. It’s the hinges on the SW, IIRC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    I didn't personally see any, but I believe it was the top cap that cracked

Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    As much as I love SW, their LPVO mounts have had several instances of rings splitting on various forums.
    Yeah, seen a few reports of this on their Gen 1 hinges. Have you seen many/any occurrences of this with their Gen 2 hinges? I haven't yet, that's the SW version I'm using.

Quote Originally Posted by maximus83 View Post
    Yeah, seen a few reports of this on their Gen 1 hinges. Have you seen many/any occurrences of this with their Gen 2 hinges? I haven't yet, that's the SW version I'm using.
    Could not say, it’s entirely possible those are Gen 1s. I use several of their RDS mounts and front sights but have never followed their LPVO mount since I care about 1.7 height above all else and they don’t offer that. I didn’t even know they had a Gen 2 hinge, hopefully that fixed whatever issue they did have.

The claim on their site for their current Gen 2 version is "Twice as many knuckles and double the material thickness as the original." I can confirm the twice as many knuckles (the hinged part) bit. And it definitely looks thicker in the hinges, though I haven't measured it.

Design feature or anomaly?

So I bit the bullet and purchased the Badger 1.7" unimounts. It wasn't cheap, but it is relatively light and the height that I wanted, backed by a company with a very strong reputation. The mount arrived this weekend and I noticed that the ID of the rings does not appear to be perfectly round/cylindrical. There is a "step-down" from the top ring to the bottom half, in a way that I've never seen before--on any rings, from cheap Weavers to Talleys or Leupold or.... See picture. I can't help but thing that this is going to ding and dent and pressure the scope tube. Am I missing something?

The pic isn't great but the focus on the left side of the forward ring shows what they all look (and feel) like.

Thoughts?

Name:  IMG_6824.jpg
Views: 72
Size:  20.8 KB

Quick rings vs. mount LPVO and optic height questions

Quote Originally Posted by dogcaller View Post
    So I bit the bullet and purchased the Badger 1.7" unimounts. It wasn't cheap, but it is relatively light and the height that I wanted, backed by a company with a very strong reputation. The mount arrived this weekend and I noticed that the ID of the rings does not appear to be perfectly round/cylindrical. There is a "step-down" from the top ring to the bottom half, in a way that I've never seen before--on any rings, from cheap Weavers to Talleys or Leupold or.... See picture. I can't help but thing that this is going to ding and dent and pressure the scope tube. Am I missing something?

The pic isn't great but the focus on the left side of the forward ring shows what they all look (and feel) like.

Thoughts?

Name:  IMG_6824.jpg
Views: 72
Size:  20.8 KB
    I don’t remember why but this is intentional. I don’t think it’s unique to Badger but I’ve seen this asked and answered by company reps (and numerous other owners) elsewhere.

Mount away.

Last edited by Wake27; 10-08-2023 at 10:28 PM.

User Tag List