Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Quick rings vs. mount LPVO and optic height questions

Quick rings vs. mount LPVO and optic height questions

I've read several LPVO threads from the past few years and have come to the conclusion that I would rather save a little weight and use rings instead of a QR mount. I have also decided to go with the 1.7" height (hopefully).

I haven't been able to find a set of rings that indicates what the height would be, whereas mounts will often state 1.5", 1.7", 1.9", etc. Does anyone know of an option for a set of rings that will get me close to 1.7"?

Scope is a Steiner P4Xi 1-4x (30mm). Rifle is a 16" AR.

Can you get the proper eye relief without attaching the front ring to the handguard?

The tallest I've ever seen are ~1.54", such as the Vortex Pro Series Extra Tall. Rings aren't really a thing for most LPVO shooters using an AR, since most of the time the rings will be on different rails, one on the receiver, one on the handguard, for proper eye relief. How much that really matters, well, that's up for debate I suppose, I've seen Defoor bridge his optic, though he was also using a Bobro Double Decker, with rings on top, so that'll act closer to the a unimount. The fact that it's two separate pieces that are not unified is typically less durable, due to more emphasis on the optic in an impact, since there isn't the rigidity of the rest of the mount.

As everyone has explained, the reason you generally see LPVOs on one-piece mounts as opposed to in rings only sometimes has anything to do with QD mounts. It’s primarily so the mount, which is generally a cantilever mount, isn’t bridging the upper receiver and handguard while still putting the optic in the correct position for the required eye relief. Half of the most popular scope mounts these days aren’t even QD (Geissele, Reptilia, Badger Ordnance, etc).
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

Gotcha, thanks guys.

Site Supporter
    The Scalarworks mount is pretty light, though expensive...

Sent from my moto g power (2021) using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by pangloss View Post
    The Scalarworks mount is pretty light, though expensive...

As much as I love SW, their LPVO mounts have had several instances of rings splitting on various forums. Badger in 1.7 has been the gold standard for me for years, despite weight and cost. Optic mount is one of the last places I'd shave weight FWIW.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    As much as I love SW, their LPVO mounts have had several instances of rings splitting on various forums. Badger in 1.7 has been the gold standard for me for years, despite weight and cost. Optic mount is one of the last places I'd shave weight FWIW.
    Big sad. Hopefully, my mount won't turn into a case report.

Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    I don't think Badger has been immune to cracked rings either.

Quote Originally Posted by theJanitor View Post
    I don't think Badger has been immune to cracked rings either.
    It wouldn’t shock me but I haven’t seen it either. Do you know where you saw that? I’m curious what part broke. It’s the hinges on the SW, IIRC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

User Tag List