Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: CDC Now Recommends Gays* Take Antibiotics After Sex

CDC Now Recommends Gays* Take Antibiotics After Sex

The CDC now wants transgender women (TGW) and men who have sex with men (MSM) who are at risk of STIs to take Doxycycline within 72 hours of sex to prevent the spread of chlamydia, gonorrhea, and syphilis. They believe the benefits outweigh the risk of developing new antibiotic resistant strains.

Based on the clinical trials, systematic reviews, and studies of populations who would likely benefit most from an intervention to reduce bacterial STIs, the following considerations are recommended: doxycycline 200mg taken once orally within 72 hours of oral, vaginal or anal sex should be considered for gay, bisexual, and other MSM, and for TGW, with a history of at least one bacterial STI (i.e., gonorrhea, chlamydia or syphilis) in the last 12 months and who are at ongoing risk for acquisition of bacterial STIs. Although not directly assessed in the trials included in these guidelines, doxycycline PEP could be considered for MSM and TGW who have not been diagnosed with an STI in the prior year but will be participating in sexual activities that are known to increase likelihood of exposure to STIs, e.g., during weekend events, cruises, and festivals.
    https://www.regulations.gov/document/CDC-2023-0080-0001

Site Supporter
    So why does it take three visits to three different providers to get someone to prescribe doxycycline when we suspect one of our kids has been bitten by a tick and they have the symptoms to back that up?
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

.... question...

they list "oral, vaginal, and anal" sex as activities warranting taking the pill.
    what other forms of genital related sex are there? I mean that pretty much covers all the usable orifices, right?
    or is this a question I REALLY don't want an answer to?
    Rules to live by: 1. Eat meat, 2. Shoot guns, 3. Fire, 4. Gasoline, 5. Make juniors
    TDA: Learn it. Live it. Love it.... Read these: People Management Triggers 1, 2, 3
    If anyone sees a broken image of mine, please PM me.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by hufnagel View Post
    .... question...

they list "oral, vaginal, and anal" sex as activities warranting taking the pill.
    what other forms of genital related sex are there? I mean that pretty much covers all the usable orifices, right?
    You don’t want the answer unless you want to hear about street prostitutes with stomas or colostomy bags.

Quote Originally Posted by hufnagel View Post
    .... question...

Have you ever seen the video of the chimpanzee raping a frog?
    Humans are 98.8% chimpanzee.
    Adjust your expectations accordingly.

So is doxycycline going over the counter now?

So every time someone in one of these groups has sex they have to go see their physician to get an antibiotic?

"Hey Doc We've got a big trip to Vegas planned for next week. Better prescribe a 30 gallon jug worth!"
    Last edited by ccmdfd; 10-02-2023 at 08:01 PM.

Butt,... I thought... we were trying to not to overuse antibiotics... Oh well,... CDC is always right so...
    All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing.
    No one is coming. It is up to us.

Site Supporter
    I'm not an antibiotic resistance expert, but my understanding (possibly incorrect) is that skipping doses and stopping before completing the full course of medication greatly promote drug resistance. Since this recommendation is for a single dose, I presume the risk of resistance is lessened. Pre-exposure prophylaxis for HIV has been marketed to men who have sex with men for years now. My guess is that folks who engage in this behavior will get a bottle of doxy to keep at home and not have to ask for meds after the fact.

To be clear, I'm not supporting the policy, just offering a little context, which as I noted, might be wrong.

Sent from my moto g power (2021) using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    You don’t want the answer unless you want to hear about street prostitutes with stomas or colostomy bags.
    One of our regular patients in the inner city used to reportedly offer this “service.” Generally, when she wound up in the ambulance, it was a trip to the hospital that included an eventual admission to the hospital for sepsis or septic shock. I’ll leave it to the imagination for the likely origin of the infection. She’s dead now.

User Tag List