Thread: Optimal 300 BLK zero subsonic?

Optimal 300 BLK zero subsonic?

I am SURE this is well-trodden territory but what are y'alls thoughts on 300 BLK subsonic battle zeros. I have a DD PDW and I have zeroed it about dead on at 25 and it lands about 3 inches low at 100. Seems reasonably useful. But is there any good standard zero ideas out there I have ZERO interest in supersonic performance. I have this one strictly set up to shoot suppressed subsonic. Any thoughts?

There is no standard. Need more information on the type of gun and optic to give a recommendation. There are 3 logical uses for a suppressed, subsonic blackout.

1) Shooting paper for fun - zero at whatever floats your boat.
    2) Hunting medium sized game such as boar - 25-50M zero sounds reasonable for most red dots.
    3) Precision head shots with a magnified optic - 50 meters would be my choice; the bullet drops precipitously beyond 100M.

Of note, I would not recommend any subsonic load for self defense. All of the reliable loads fail to expand and become .30 caliber hole punchers; the few loads that expand struggle with reliability in most ARs. I’d much rather have a reliable 9mm JHP than subsonic 300blk in a gunfight.
    I like my rifles like my women - short, light, fast, brown, and suppressed.

I define my requirements first, then go about searching for the best way to meet those requirements.

For me, the 100 yard zero makes the most sense, and has the broadest application potential for the environment I’d most likely encounter with that particular caliber and companion firearm. With that zero, I am 2.7” high at 50, DOB at 100, and still at the outer edge of MPBR/MOA at 150 with a drop of just over 10”. The issue with subs beyond 100 for me isn’t hitting, it’s hitting and not doing shit because I put a .30 caliber hole in flesh at exceptionally low velocity……. I have not seen many people overly impressed by low velocity rounds….
    You can get much more of what you want with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.

User Tag List