Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Model 1892 Deluxe Trapper Takedown

Model 1892 Deluxe Trapper Takedown

A neat carbine IMHO though I know I have a weakness for takedown guns.

https://www.winchesterguns.com/produ...-takedown.html

Site Supporter
    I wouldn't mind one in .357 or .45LC.

Site Supporter
    Delayed double tap

A handsome, handy, practical firearm. It costs more than I spent on the van I drive every day, but most lever actions on the market around near that price so it seems pretty reasonable.
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Because buying cool, interesting guns I don't need isn't a decision... it's a lifestyle...

Those Mirokus are super nice. The rebounding hammer and safety on the grip tang are deal killers though..

I’ve tried pistol caliber carbines and it never worked out. They just have too many gremlins.

IF you’re gonna do it, do it right the first time and get a ‘73 in 44-40. It’s the only way.

As for me and mine?

We’re bucking the winter with a ‘94 in 30-30..

Name:  FB2C9B70-DDD4-488D-B0D4-9B724CEFF7BC.jpg
Views: 587
Size:  96.2 KB

Quote Originally Posted by M2CattleCo View Post
    Those Mirokus are super nice. The rebounding hammer and safety on the grip tang are deal killers though..

I’ve tried pistol caliber carbines and it never worked out. They just have too many gremlins.

IF you’re gonna do it, do it right the first time and get a ‘73 in 44-40. It’s the only way.

As for me and mine?

We’re bucking the winter with a ‘94 in 30-30..

Name:  FB2C9B70-DDD4-488D-B0D4-9B724CEFF7BC.jpg
Views: 587
Size:  96.2 KB
    What are the gremlins in 92 actions with pistol caliber rounds? I thought the main problems were Winchester 94 actions scaled back for the little short rounds.

I do like the 73 carbine in 357 quite a lot, but the Browning and Winchester 92s are also pretty decent.

I used to be morally opposed to the rebound and tang safety, but have overcome it over time so long as the rebound is not over-done biased towards rebound rather then firing in the balance of the rebound strut. For someone new to the levers, I think both are useful though. Trigger action can be improved, that seems to be one of the main criticisms other than a poorly balanced rebound resulting in light hits.

The tang safety can be removed in some guns if half cock replacement parts are available (lower tang assembly), and the slot in the upper tang filled with a silver or whatever inset with ones initials. A tang sight covers it, though Im not a big fan of tang sights.
    Last edited by Malamute; 10-07-2023 at 12:41 PM.
    “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by Malamute View Post
    What are the gremlins in 92 actions with pistol caliber rounds? I thought the main problems were Winchester 94 actions scaled back for the little short rounds.

I do like the 73 carbine in 357 quite a lot, but the Browning and Winchester 92s are also pretty decent.

I used to be morally opposed to the rebound and tang safety, but have overcome it over time so long as the rebound is not over-done biased towards rebound rather then firing in the balance of the rebound strut. For someone new to the levers, I think both are useful though. Trigger action can be improved, that seems to be one of the main criticisms other than a poorly balanced rebound resulting in light hits.

The tang safety can be removed in some guns if half cock replacement parts are available (lower tang assembly), and the slot in the upper tang filled with a silver or whatever inset with ones initials. A tang sight covers it, though Im not a big fan of tang sights.
    The 92s don’t feed straight walled cartridges as good as they feed the bottlenecks they were designed for. They’re very bullet shape and OAL sensitive.

357 feeds well in a ‘73 as they lift the whole cartridge and push it straight into the chamber. The caveat there is that the mag tube is sized for the 44-40 or 45 Colt sized cases and the small cases can get jumbled up in there.

Some say the ‘73 doesn’t hold up to pressure of a 357, some do. I think it’s fine as long as you don’t plan on shooting max loads by the thousands. The couple of ‘73s I’ve been around wouldn’t feed any factory loaded off the shelf 38 Special at all.

They WILL run in 38, it’s the most popular combo for the cowboy match shooters, but the gun and ammo has to be tuned to run it.
    I ultimately abandoned the ‘73 in 357 because it’s a bigger heavier gun than a ‘94 and is just barely adequate for a modern pistol caliber. I do toy with the idea of one in 45Colt but the twist is too slow and the accuracy sucks.

I had a Marlin ‘94 in 357 that never was reliable enough for me. Perfect little gun but just too fiddly to get it to feed.

I got rid of all my lever guns except a pair of basic 20” Winchester 94s in 30-30. Most reliable I’ve used and I’ve been using them for 30 years. I had a couple of old Marlin 336s and never found a load they'd shoot with reasonable accuracy, but others don’t seem to have that problem.

I hear you about authenticity of the tang safety, and don't think its really needed for hunting and plinking.

But as low recoil alternative to shotgun for defense I like the idea of tang safety, and I like it a lot more than any AR.

I respect the AR & own one but don't really like them.

Quote Originally Posted by M2CattleCo View Post
    The 92s don’t feed straight walled cartridges as good as they feed the bottlenecks they were designed for. They’re very bullet shape and OAL sensitive.

357 feeds well in a ‘73 as they lift the whole cartridge and push it straight into the chamber. The caveat there is that the mag tube is sized for the 44-40 or 45 Colt sized cases and the small cases can get jumbled up in there.

Some say the ‘73 doesn’t hold up to pressure of a 357, some do. I think it’s fine as long as you don’t plan on shooting max loads by the thousands. The couple of ‘73s I’ve been around wouldn’t feed any factory loaded off the shelf 38 Special at all.

They WILL run in 38, it’s the most popular combo for the cowboy match shooters, but the gun and ammo has to be tuned to run it.
    I ultimately abandoned the ‘73 in 357 because it’s a bigger heavier gun than a ‘94 and is just barely adequate for a modern pistol caliber. I do toy with the idea of one in 45Colt but the twist is too slow and the accuracy sucks.

I had a Marlin ‘94 in 357 that never was reliable enough for me. Perfect little gun but just too fiddly to get it to feed.

I got rid of all my lever guns except a pair of basic 20” Winchester 94s in 30-30. Most reliable I’ve used and I’ve been using them for 30 years. I had a couple of old Marlin 336s and never found a load they'd shoot with reasonable accuracy, but others don’t seem to have that problem.
    I recall Steve mentioning the straight wall rounds werent as easy keepers as the original bottleneck rounds in the 92, though Ive had no issues at all with a Browning Ive had for about 25 or so years. It feeds 44 spl loads fine also. I think part of the length issue with 92s is the tuning of the cartridge stop that the bolt interacts with. Some seem fine with a variety of lengths, some dont, and I believe it can be tuned to allow more leeway in feeding to a degree.

Ive had enough quirky problems with various older marlins I pretty much gave up on them years ago when Winchester actions just seemed to perk along without issue and were easier to single load/unload for small game loads etc or clear the chamber and leave the magazine loaded. Overall Ive had better reliability with lever action Winchesters than AKs and most bolt guns to include a couple Mausers and Springfields. The 94s and 1886s just seem to keep plowing along so long as they arent dry fired.

Was going to post a picture but the attachment manager is stuck.....
    “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

Always between two major rivers that begin with the letter "M."
    Lots already covered, so I will be brief.

Straight wall cases vs tapered is a real issue- even the slight bottlenecks of the old .38-40 and .44-40 rounds gave the originals an edge WRT feeding reliability.

I like the Marlin 1894 actions better from the standpoint of cleaning and takedown, but the JMB-designed 1886 and 1892 actions have always worked with less effort for me given an equal amount of TLC (deburring, smoothing).

The 1873 Winchester was and is a fine rifle in .44-40, .38-40 and .32-20; things get less clear once you stray from there.

The Winchester/Miroku takedown system is "interesting." I have heard some serious swearing from owners who thought that modern materials and manufacturing processes combined with a fairly high MSRP automatically eliminated the possibility of things getting uncomfortably loose.
    gn

"On the internet, nobody knows if you are a dog... or even a cat."

User Tag List