Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: LAPD Magazine Capacity Restrictions

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by BobM View Post
    The SO wouldn’t order their Chargers with push bars because they felt they looked too “aggressive “. Meanwhile, the bars saved us a lot of money on body shop work from the usual minor collisions, deer crashes, etc.

The department I retired from carries M&P40 s. I’ve heard there’s quite a few carrying 20 round magazines either as primary or spare or both. I don’t think I’d bother. Like Rex I started with a revolver and two speedloaders.
    I think reliability is the most important thing in duty, guns, and duty gun accoutrement.

Assuming the extensions or extended mags are reliable there’s also a point of diminishing returns where they change the balance I’m handling of the gun.

In my experience, the Sigg factory, 21 round magazines, and the Glock 17 with factory +2 are OK but the Glock factory 22 and 24 round magazines start to make the gun unwieldy if you need to fire one-handed, etc.

The gangster embracing of 32rnd extendos may have triggered something like this.

Extended mags

Apparently the firearms training cadre was OK with these things, given that officers have been using them for some time now, as evidenced by their use in numerous BWC vids.

When I was carrying a 1911 I didn’t like having an extended mag in the holstered gun because of sitting in the car. I had an 8 round WC in the pistol and 10 round WCs in my mag pouches.

I generally just stuck with factory mags for whatever model of Glock I was carrying. I never had extended mags for them.
    Just a dog chauffeur that used to hold the dumb end of the leash.

Meet the new boss, same as the old boss…

Last century, I recall the KY State Police commander rejected speedloaders- Smith .357s issued at the time- for dump pouches, as he liked the look on the uniform belt…
    I’m most familiar with Glock mags, and the current plus base plates which give two extra rounds in 9mm are serviceable. I think the extended baseplates, like a +5, might not be a good idea as the extension can be leveraged off the mag tube with a blow or get caught in something.
    I’ll run a factory plus base on a Glock mag, in a gun in a duty rig, or as a reload if I’m carrying a 19 or a 26. The extended mags of 24 and 33 rounds I can’t carry comfortably, but I’ll admit to having one occasionally in the car or backup.
    The LAPD diktat just seems to be about uniformity, imo.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Any chance this is the head shed's hardware solution to ensuring an assessment pause?
    From afar, I doubt it. The shooting that purportedly led to it was 5 rounds and quite reasonable. There was a previous shooting with a higher profile female officer who fired a pair, assessed, fired a pair, assessed, and fired a pair all hits on an armed suspect who kept re-animating. She got drama over that.

Quote Originally Posted by mmc45414 View Post
    The gangster embracing of 32rnd extendos may have triggered something like this.
    Huh?

Quote Originally Posted by Erick Gelhaus View Post
    Huh?
    There are even rap lyrics about using extended magazines (referred to as "extendos", typically the Glock 18 32rnd versions) to use in committing murders and I have watched press conferences where extended magazines have been called out as part of the armament of criminals. At this point they have probably been linked with criminal intent. We are talking about 20-23rnd magazines (like the one I just bought...) but probably in the minds of the people that wrote this policy extended is probably extended, and they do not want something sticking out of the bottom of the pistol that is poked right out in front of the body worn cameras.

Gangsters have been killing people with extended capacity magazines since the Tommy Gun days. No one is making changes to firearms policy in 2023 because extended mags have suddenly become popular with the bad guys.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by mmc45414 View Post
    There are even rap lyrics about using extended magazines (referred to as "extendos", typically the Glock 18 32rnd versions) to use in committing murders and I have watched press conferences where extended magazines have been called out as part of the armament of criminals. At this point they have probably been linked with criminal intent. We are talking about 20-23rnd magazines (like the one I just bought...) but probably in the minds of the people that wrote this policy extended is probably extended, and they do not want something sticking out of the bottom of the pistol that is poked right out in front of the body worn cameras.
    It’s “ ‘stendos” the “ex” is silent.

Quote Originally Posted by WobblyPossum View Post
    Gangsters have been killing people with extended capacity magazines since the Tommy Gun days. No one is making changes to firearms policy in 2023 because extended mags have suddenly become popular with the bad guys.
    Was basing my thoughts on this:

Quote Originally Posted by Erick Gelhaus View Post
    I just reached out & asked a question ... someone in that dept told me that it came from the head of the org, who did not like the appearance of an extended mag in a recent shooting.

User Tag List