Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: LAPD Magazine Capacity Restrictions

Y’all young ’uns are spoiled. I was effectively limited to 18 total rounds, on the belt, during my first year of sworn service, when it was a DA revolver, and no more than two reloads. More ammo was not prohibited, but it could not be visible, while in uniform. Back-up handguns were allowed, but had to be worn totally concealed. Upon completely the first years of sworn service, autos were OK for duty, but the number of reloads visible on the duty belt remained at two*, and, a flap had to cover the mag floorplate. (No totally open-topped mag pouches were allowed.)

Personally-owned shotguns were allowed, from the first day of sworn service, subject to the judgement of the Field Trainer.

OK, enough historic trivia. On a serious, practical note, mags of a length that protrude far from the grip frame of a pistol are also prone to snagging while moving through vegetation and similar intervening obstacles. Mag extensions, that replace mag floor plates, can be twisted or torqued enough to separate from the mag body. When my knees still allowed it, I climbed plenty of fences and walls, and, I did not treat hedgerows and thickets as fences, but barreled through them, as necessary.

*I gamed this, by wearing two separate mag pouches, at widely-spaced positions on the belt, so that no more than two spare mags were readily visible, from one angle of view. When I knew that I would stand for inspection, I could remove the extra items, as needed.
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

Quote Originally Posted by Erick Gelhaus View Post
    I just reached out & asked a question ... someone in that dept told me that it came from the head of the org, who did not like the appearance of an extended mag in a recent shooting.
    Not that I am opposed to somewhat-extended mags, but, I admit that this makes sense. Something that I have realized, since the mid-80s, is that LE must not only do the right thing, but always look like we are doing the right thing, and “look good” while doing the right thing. Appearance does matter, whether we like it or not.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

I just reached out & asked a question ... someone in that dept told me that it came from the head of the org, who did not like the appearance of an extended mag in a recent shooting.
    Not that I am opposed to somewhat-extended mags, especially in the “war bag,” but, I admit that this makes sense. Something that I have realized, since the mid-80s, is that LE must not only do the right thing, but always look like we are doing the right thing, and “look good” while doing the right thing. Appearance does matter, whether we like it or not.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

Site Supporter
    ...and I thought the objection might be based on the fact that many mags with extensions do not run as reliably as OEM mags or even vetted Magpuls.

Silly me.
    I am not your attorney. I am not giving legal advice. Any and all opinions expressed are personal and my own and are not those of any employer-past, present or future.

Any chance this is the head shed's hardware solution to ensuring an assessment pause?
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

I don't think that's likely with still allowing 'normal' mags.
    Adding nothing to the conversation since 2015....

This was the first thing that I thought.

Chiefs are gonna Chief.

I had one that denied a request to put Talong grips on a duty glock. The written request was approved all the way to his desk.

Reason given, in writing, was Glocks are “Perfection”.

Sorry about the double posts, above. The site, or the error-net, were both misbehaving this morning.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Any chance this is the head shed's hardware solution to ensuring an assessment pause?
    Even if you subscribe to the theory that capacity is a factor in that, their current issue gun (FN 509) and prior issue (M&P) both hold 17+1 so the extra 3 or 4 rounds are not significant.

The SO wouldn’t order their Chargers with push bars because they felt they looked too “aggressive “. Meanwhile, the bars saved us a lot of money on body shop work from the usual minor collisions, deer crashes, etc.

The department I retired from carries M&P40 s. I’ve heard there’s quite a few carrying 20 round magazines either as primary or spare or both. I don’t think I’d bother. Like Rex I started with a revolver and two speedloaders.

User Tag List