Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: LAPD Magazine Capacity Restrictions

Site Supporter

LAPD Magazine Capacity Restrictions

LAPD has administratively limited the capacity of the handgun magazines their officers may use on duty to 18 rounds.

Anyone have actual insight (not speculation) into what drove this decision?

Name:  IMG_3017.jpg
Views: 1188
Size:  73.5 KB

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    LAPD has administratively limited the capacity of the handgun magazines their officers may use on duty to 18 rounds.

Anyone have actual insight (not speculation) into what drove this decision?
    Equity? They don’t want the bad guys to be outgunned by the cops?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Kanye Wyoming View Post
    Equity? They don’t want the bad guys to be outgunned by the cops?
    There’s a reason I didn’t post this in general discussion.

I just reached out & asked a question ... someone in that dept told me that it came from the head of the org, who did not like the appearance of an extended mag in a recent shooting.

Quote Originally Posted by Erick Gelhaus View Post
    I just reached out & asked a question ... someone in that dept told me that it came from the head of the org, who did not like the appearance of an extended mag in a recent shooting.
    That figures. However, while I wouldn't prohibit mags based on capacity, I do like that the memo mentioned use of rifles and shotgun slugs. You don't play golf with just a putter, likewise you shouldn't try to solve a rifle problem with a pistol.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Erick Gelhaus View Post
    I was told the same. It reminds me of departments who resisted speed loaders back in the day because they didn’t like the look of the cases on the belt. Time really is a flat circle.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    I was told the same. It reminds me of departments who resisted speed loaders back in the day because they didn’t like the look of the cases on the belt. Time really is a flat circle.
    LAPD never changes.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

When I read that, I assumed it came from some pencil neck having the heebie jeebies over extended mags.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Well that’s dumb as hell.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

Y’all young ’uns are spoiled. I was effectively limited to 18 total rounds, on the belt, during my first year of sworn service, when it was a DA revolver, and no more than two reloads. More ammo was not prohibited, but it could not be visible, while in uniform. Back-up handguns were allowed, but had to be worn totally concealed. Upon completely the first years of sworn service, autos were OK for duty, but the number of reloads visible on the duty belt remained at two*, and, a flap had to cover the mag floorplate. (No totally open-topped mag pouches were allowed.)

Personally-owned shotguns were allowed, from the first day of sworn service, subject to the judgement of the Field Trainer.

OK, enough historic trivia. On a serious, practical note, mags of a length that protrude far from the grip frame of a pistol are also prone to snagging while moving through vegetation and similar intervening obstacles. Mag extensions, that replace mag floor plates, can be twisted or torqued enough to separate from the mag body. When my knees still allowed it, I climbed plenty of fences and walls, and, I did not treat hedgerows and thickets as fences, but barreled through them, as necessary.

*I gamed this, by wearing two separate mag pouches, at widely-spaced positions on the belt, so that no more than two spare mags were readily visible, from one angle of view. When I knew that I would stand for inspection, I could remove the extra items, as needed.
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

User Tag List