Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: LAPD Magazine Capacity Restrictions

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    It’s “ ‘stendos” the “ex” is silent.
    Well, I had to look it up, there was never any references in any of the Allman Brothers songs I would typically listen to...

Admin.

Creating solutions for problems that don't actually exist.

Yay.

Law Enforcement officers today don't look like they did twenty years ago. NO ONE does.

Limiting magazine capacity for whatever arbitrary stupid ass reason they've come up with is absolutely, positively, dumb. It's well...arbitrary and stupid.

Anyone interested in helping their Officers/Deputies would look at the real issue. Reliability between brands. Test several extensions and release an approved list. It's really not that hard.

The idea that more ammo on board is somehow creating a picture of Law Enforcement as "gunfighters" is pandering to the uneducated, scared, ignorant public.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by mmc45414 View Post
    Well, I had to look it up, there was never any references in any of the Allman Brothers songs I would typically listen to...
    That’s per first hand experience, not press conferences or lyrics on the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by Erick Gelhaus View Post
    From afar, I doubt it. The shooting that purportedly led to it was 5 rounds and quite reasonable. There was a previous shooting with a higher profile female officer who fired a pair, assessed, fired a pair, assessed, and fired a pair all hits on an armed suspect who kept re-animating. She got drama over that.
    Pair + pair + pair = 5?

And since it it’s the season…

Quote Originally Posted by mmc45414 View Post
    There are even rap lyrics about using extended magazines
    Let me help, I speak rap:
    -Stendo-extended magazine
    -Beam-laser or light
    -Lens-red dot pistol optic

Quote Originally Posted by 1Rangemaster View Post
    The LAPD diktat just seems to be about uniformity, imo.
    It's about how it looks on video. If it was about uniformity, LAPD officers wouldn't be carrying a mix of pistols from at least five manufacturers.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    Let me help, I speak rap:
    -Stendo-extended magazine
    -Beam-laser or light
    -Lens-red dot pistol optic
    Thanks!!

Name:  Screenshot 2023-10-03 075032.jpg
Views: 646
Size:  14.9 KB

From afar, I doubt it. The shooting that purportedly led to it was 5 rounds and quite reasonable. There was a previous shooting with a higher profile female officer who fired a pair, assessed, fired a pair, assessed, and fired a pair all hits on an armed suspect who kept re-animating. She got drama over that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    Pair + pair + pair = 5?
    It's okay, math is not my strong suite either.

Shooting A - 5 rounds;
    Shooting B - 6 rounds;

It's okay, math is not my strong suite either.

Shooting A - 5 rounds;
    Shooting B - 6 rounds;
    It’s OK, neither is Dr. Loomis. Since in Halloween II, the editing showed him shooting 7 times.

We used to see some guys carry factory +2's on extra mags, which wasn't really outlined as allowed or not in the SOP. But few years ago they updated it and now we can't, according to range staff due to reliability/durability concerns.

A beat partner used to have a shotgun shell pouch on his external vest that a worthless LT had problems with, told him to take it off or get a new one that doesn't have the rounds visibly exposed...

Quote Originally Posted by BobM View Post
    The SO wouldn’t order their Chargers with push bars because they felt they looked too “aggressive “. Meanwhile, the bars saved us a lot of money on body shop work from the usual minor collisions, deer crashes, etc.

The department I retired from carries M&P40 s. I’ve heard there’s quite a few carrying 20 round magazines either as primary or spare or both. I don’t think I’d bother. Like Rex I started with a revolver and two speedloaders.
    Ha, 10 years ago my county council expressed concerns on the ford interceptor utility's factory dark window tint being "too intimidating" and it being a "SUV" worried about poor fuel consumption. Dept's answer "Ok we will get the sedans" that were built on the same platform, same drive train and get identical mpg (and zero tint). Icing on the cake is the ultralib county exec being driven around in a blacked out, limo tinted Chevy Suburban. Same exec has stated he plans to mandate we change our black uniforms to a different color due to "it looking intimidating".

Ironically they install push bars on everything, however the ones they buy fold up easily in wrecks and offer little protection if any. And most guys refuse to use it to push motorists cars for fear of getting punished if the other vehicle gets damaged.

This goes back quite a while, but in a former job, we had about six pristine Thompson SMGs in the armory. Story was that when the army closed a nearby facility sometime after WWII, they donated the guns to the P.D. As far as i know, they never left the armory in the decades that followed. One day, the head range guy proposed we trade/sell the Thompson's to get a bunch of ARs. Amazingly, that was agreed to and that is what we did. The dept. got enough rifles to fully equip patrol, and sought bids for rifle racks for the cars. Somebody of importance got wind of this and cancelled the racks for the cars because having a rifle visible would look too aggressive. Rifles would have to be carried in the trunk, in a latched hard case, bungeed to a wooden case used for storage of the usual patrol stuff. Guns were to be carried completely unloaded, and could only be loaded/deployed upon watch commander approval (assuming he could be found at the time of any particular incident).

Most of us did not bother getting rifle qualified and eventually the unloaded and cased rifle was only to be carried in a Sergeant's car and only deployed with watch commander approval. Most sergeants did not want to bother with it, so we ended up with an armory of unused ARs instead of unused Thompsons. At least the SMGs had been fun to look at.

User Tag List