Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Defensive ammo in shorter barrels; Px4 compact 9mm

I did a similar exercise with my PX4CC and got the best results with 115gr Hornady XTP followed by their FTX, but it leaves home with 124 HST. The differences in group sizes weren't significant enough with such a small sample size, and the PX4 makes all loads tame.

While not 147gr, to offer a data point I recalled posting this a few years ago:

Quote Originally Posted by EricM View Post
    I ran some 124gr +P Gold Dots through the chrono a while back:

Gen 4 G17 - 1223 fps
    Gen 3 G26 - 1150 fps
    PX4C - 1120 fps

The PX4C readings were taken on a different day, but I did not observe a significant difference in the readings of other loads that were measured on both days. I'm not qualified to make any comment on the impact of velocity on effectiveness, just thought I'd share the numbers. It is important to be aware of the short barrel if you're running your carry gun in USPSA, as the Lawman 115gr I shoot most of the time would not make minor in the PX4C.

I have been involved in 3 ballistic workshops hosted by my former agency prior to my retirement. We were using M&P9’s as well as the 12 shot M&P compacts as test guns. I always included a 3” gun in the testing because the Shield was such a popular off duty pistol.

Rounds tested were Winchester Ranger 147 (RA9T), 147gr HST, the 147 gr Gold Dot G2 and the 124+ Gold Dot.

The 147 Ranger T and HST didn’t really care much which barrel length was used. While there was a slight difference in expansion and a correlating effect on penetration, it wasn’t enough to get excited about.

I’ve witnessed the G2 tested twice, both times with the “improved” design of round. I was underwhelmed, even when using a duty size pistol.

I’ve never seen the Hornady 135+ tested, but I’ve heard good things from a Sheriffs department locally who did test and later adopt this round.

In retirement, I carry everything from a Sig P365, Shield Plus to a Glock 19 (mostly a Glock 19) They all get the same 147gr Ranger T load.

When I finally run out of that ammunition , I may buy some of the 135+ Hornady loading.

But at the end of the day, I try to remember that the nuances of a particular round matters less, so long as it’s reliable. What matters more to me is the ability to use appropriate tactics and good shot placement, before my opponent can do the same to me.

User Tag List