Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Recommendations For DA/SA Hammer-Fired Concealed Carry?

I haven't had a chance to put my hands on anything yet but the CZ 75 D PCR Compact is looking like it COULD meet my needs and is smaller than the P-01 or P-07.

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    That pic says it all!

I would say, objectively, the HK hammer guns in DA/SA (USP/USP Compact/P2000/P30) are simpler guns and a little more straightforward to assemble (they don't appear that way at first but they are). The P30 has 45 parts and the P2000 has 43 whereas the P-07 has 51. With the P-07, though, 4 of those parts are due to the removable front and rear inserts, which is a nice feature the HKs don't have. In comparison, Glocks have 30 parts. Same goes for classic SIGs (P229, etc) in terms of ease of assembly and they're at ~47 parts if using the E2 grips.

That said, and as a self-admitted lover of HK hammer guns and classic SIGs, I'll say none of what I said above honestly matters. Considering the original stated need for a DA/SA that might have a RDS in the future, I think hands down the P-07 is probably the best choice. With aftermarket action mods, it can have a better DA pull than any HK by far. Also, there's no way around the fact that the P-07 has, IMO, the best aesthetics and ergonomics for RDS fitment. Little to no RDS overhang of the slide. Aftermarket cuts usually position them fairly deep so the height over bore doesn't get ridiculous and feel unnatural. No RDS adapter plate is required with a cut, which is a big plus IMO. On top of that, the slide is already low profile. Contrast that with an HK or a SIG and you're basically stacking a mailbox on top of a mailbox. I honestly can't think of another mainstream DA/SA hammer gun that has as sleek of an RDS fitment as the P-07.

Another bonus for the P-07. They can be found used as cheap as ~$350. HK's, if you're lucky you might find the occasional one used as cheap as ~$550 but most are $600+. Add a CGW pro upgrade kit to the P-07 and you're at or below the price of a good deal on an HK, with a trigger that will run circles around them.
    Administrator for PatRogers.org

Quote Originally Posted by RanVick View Post
    I haven't had a chance to put my hands on anything yet but the CZ 75 D PCR Compact is looking like it COULD meet my needs and is smaller than the P-01 or P-07.
    The PCR is not going to carry smaller than a P01, it is identical except in size except lacking the light rail. The P07 is bigger than the P01 on paper, but they carry practically the same.

To echo everyone else, the P07 is the logical answer. Personally I love my P01 though, and if the extra $$ doesn't bother you I think you will make a great choice with the P01 or PCR.

Currently both P07s and P01s can be found for stupid low prices, not sure about the PCR.

I'll also add a curveball into the mix: Arex Delta. Basically a P229 clone with a few changes. They come from the factory with a red dot cut and threaded barrel and are very reasonably priced. Not sure how the factory triggerpull is and it would be bulkier than the above mentioned CZs.

OP, your options unfortunately are nil.

There are many outstanding DA/SAs out there; none is comparable in footprint and concealability to the current crop of high-cap micro 9s. Those of us who need a 365/Hellcat/Shield etc. sized pistol for truly concealed, year-round EDC, and prefer an action at rest, are SOL until a reputable firearms manufacturer committed to DA/SA makes one.

Assuming they ever do.
    Hain’t we got all the fools in town on our side? And ain’t that a big enough majority in any town?

Quote Originally Posted by RanVick View Post
    I don't know that there is an appreciable size difference. https://www.handgunhero.com/compare/...5d-pcr-compact

I am a big fan of the P01. I like the ergonomics better than the P07 and I think that little bit of added weight in the full dust cover/light rail helps with recoil mitigation. If you have any mechanical aptitude, you can drop a CGW spring kit https://cajungunworks.com/product/54420-ultra-lite/ in it and make the trigger quite good. The the aftermarket support for the CZ 75 family is almost as big as the 1911 aftermarket.

That's one good looking CZ P-01. I have a Holosun Green 507k ready for whatever I decide on... which VERY well could be a duplicate of the one shown in this video.

Last edited by RanVick; 10-01-2023 at 02:29 PM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Wingate's Hairbrush View Post
    OP, your options unfortunately are nil.

There are many outstanding DA/SAs out there; none is comparable in footprint and concealability to the current crop of high-cap micro 9s. Those of us who need a 365/Hellcat/Shield etc. sized pistol for truly concealed, year-round EDC, and prefer an action at rest, are SOL until a reputable firearms manufacturer committed to DA/SA makes one.

Assuming they ever do.
    One of the smallest DA/SA 9mm options I've tried, is the Bersa TPR9c--though still not quite as small as 365. I had one, and it seemed similar in size to an HK P2000SK, but slightly smaller and thinner. They're still being made and you can find one on GB, cheap. I didn't particularly love shooting mine. The recoil was harsh and I didn't get great accuracy from it. But... mine was reliable in the ~100 or so rounds I put through it.

If you want to go "out-of-production" or sub 9mm, DA/SA options abound...

S&W 3913/14
    S&W CS9
    HS Produkt / Springfield XDe

Blowback DA/SA "sub 9s":

Walther PPK
    Sig P230/P232
    Makarov

Another respected small DA/SA single-stack is the Sig P239. I have several and they're wonderful shooters. And while P239s are smaller than P-07s/PCRs/PX4s, they're not vastly smaller; though the grip is nice and slender, which helps in concealment. But, again, out of production.

Name:  70888E38-EEAB-4543-B747-CFB18BAD8405.jpg
Views: 876
Size:  38.3 KB
    For astute purveyors of pew: hipstertactical.com

I did forget to mention I want a decocker as well.

I traded a Glock 19 for a Sig P239, and fell in love with it. This would be The Gun for me if it wasn't out of production, as noted above.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

User Tag List