Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Recommendations For DA/SA Hammer-Fired Concealed Carry?

Question Recommendations For DA/SA Hammer-Fired Concealed Carry?

Hello, looking to pickup a new CCW. I'm looking for a hammer-fired, DA/SA with a nice trigger and may be looking to add a Dot later. I also would like a threaded barrel. Probably 9mm but that's not set in stone. I have a Sig P365XL w/TB and carry it comfortably, I just would prefer what I've mentioned. Recommendations?

Site Supporter
    P-07 or P-X4. I’m not sure how common threaded barrels are for them, but they are both great options.

The P-07 is like the Glock of the TDA world in my opinion. If it had been released in the late 90s/ early 2000s, it might have been the premier TDA option for agencies. It’s that good in my opinion. It still is probably the best TDA option for agency issue, but TDA is not the current trend. For better or worse.

The PX4 has more variety and there is tons of info about it here.

HK P30
    CZ P07
    CZ P01
    Sig P229
    Sig P226 (really not much bigger)

PX4 is off the list as there's no threaded barrel available for it; how it operates precludes it

There's really a ton of options in that space. I've gone through a bunch, and have pretty much settled on a P30L, however I'm slowly gravitating towards a P07 just because it's easier to put an optic on it. P229s can come ready to go out of the box with optics and threaded barrels, but for whatever reason I never shot them that well, despite really wanting to.

If flexing on the poors with your combat tupperware is more your game, there's a lot of love here for the various H&K LEM or TDA variations.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Quote Originally Posted by RanVick View Post
    Hello, looking to pickup a new CCW. I'm looking for a hammer-fired, DA/SA with a nice trigger and may be looking to add a Dot later. I also would like a threaded barrel. Probably 9mm but that's not set in stone. I have a Sig P365XL w/TB and carry it comfortably, I just would prefer what I've mentioned. Recommendations?
    I’ve settled on the P-07 with the CGW Prograde kit as my defensive handgun. I have 4 of them, 2 milled for a RDS. Threaded barrels are readily available from a couple vendors.

Here’s some text pasted from a previous post:

I'll try to briefly sum up my reasons for preferring the P-07 over any other handgun, and also point out some possible reasons that a Glock might still be a better choice.

The Good:
    The P-07 is a well-vetted NATO weapon made by one of the most well-established firearms companies. While it retains a few features and parts of the CZ-75, the action is a modern design. It has fewer parts than any TDA I am aware of, and is nearly Glock-simple. The fire control parts are Melonited, and more robust than Glock. The P-07 is very resistant to dirt and poor treatment. The MAC YouTube channel ran it through their Gauntlet torture test, and it was either 1st or 2nd place out of all handguns. I've treated some of my carry guns really poorly in snow, moon dust, and sand, and they never malfunctioned. It is also highly mechanically accurate, with a CHF barrel.

Aftermarket parts are readily available, and the CGW Prograde kit turns the P-07 into a truly world-class firearm. My DA pull is 7#, and the SA is 3#. Because of a clever design feature, you can tune the trigger weight of DA and SA independently.

I really like having a DA pull and an external hammer. At a recent NODS carbine course I took from PFC, it was so cold that I couldn't feel my hands. Honestly, if I hadn't had a decocker TDA pistol, I wouldn't have felt comfortable holstering my handgun during NODS transition drills.

The Bad:
    Out of the box, the trigger pull is not great. With some break-in and lubrication, it gets better. But IMO an 11# DA weight is too heavy for life safety use because it affects accuracy. I address this with the CGW Prograde kit, and just reducing the hammer spring to 15# makes a huge difference.

The slide rides on an internal (inverted) rail, like all CZs. This helps a lot in lowering the bore axis, and with preventing dirt from getting in. But it makes slide manipulations more difficult, especially if you like racking from underneath in the front. People struggle. I rack using the optic or the top rear.

While detail stripping and installing aftermarket parts is vastly easier than any other TDA I've seen, there are roll pins and a very annoying decocker spring that make it more of a hassle than a Glock.

The firing pin retaining pin was designed by someone who didn't know about dryfire. If you dryfire the gun enough it will damage that pin and jam the firing pin. Fortunately, CGW makes an improved FP retaining pin that I have yet to destroy. And you can dryfire with an earplug or o-ring in the way.

While there are plenty of holsters for the P-07, it's not close to as standard as a Glock. It really is a hipster gun. A Glock with a SCD seems like a better choice for most people, and less expensive than a P-07 with a Prograde kit.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

P-07. All the way.

I’ve carried all of Evil_Ed’s list but the P-01. The P-07 beats them all.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

HK USP Compact V7 Lite LEM 2019 Date Code.
    GrayGuns Short Reset Kit
    GrayGuns Flat Trigger
    Nickel Flat Sear Spring
    HK 45C Magazine Release
    Kramer Horsehide IWB #4

Have quite a few different HK’s. This combination is so far the best combo. All work performed by James Williamson.
    Last edited by HALO51; 09-30-2023 at 06:10 PM.

Site Supporter
    I'm trying to get a Shadow 2 compact out of my mind, I'm just finishing a Franken Macro, the last thing I need is another carry and the CZ is pricey but...might be worth a look, if it meets your criteria.

You mentioned you’re carrying a P365XL. Are you looking for a DA/SA gun that’s the same or similar size and capacity? Are you willing to accept a significantly larger gun? The HK P2000sk or P30sk and the Beretta PX4 Subcompact are the only currently produced, DA/SA, hammer fired pistols that are even close to the size of a P365XL. If you’re willing to accept a gun that’s Glock 19 sized or larger, then you have many more options.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

CZ SDP-2 Compact, if you can find one.

User Tag List