Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 1911 AIWB Options

Site Supporter

1911 AIWB Options

I’m in the process of closing the deal on my first 1911, a 9mm NHC Falcon govt. I’m pretty familiar with the big players in the AIWB holster game, but I’ve got no experience with any of their 1911 options.

So far the most appealing options for me are JMCK/Tenicor. I’ve used both a fair amount with glocks, and tend to like JMCK more, specifically the standard AIWB and the wing claw 2.0

For those of you that have carried a 1911 in a tenicor velo, can you compare the wedge shape to the shape found on their other holsters? I wasn’t a fan of the wedge shape on a g17 holster, but it appears to be considerably different on a 1911 holster.

Will either manufacturer effectively block the thumb safety? I know both cover it, and the gun I’m looking at has a single sided safety, but I’d prefer pretty tight blocking around the safety.

I've been carrying 1911s primarily for the past few years, all in JM or Tenicor holsters.

I don't have other Tenicor holster experience to compare to, but I like the wedge on my Velo. That said, I've added a piece of yoga block to it down at the end of the muzzle like I do on all my holsters, so the wedge that Tenicor adds is above that and kindof just supplementing by helping with rotation. The foam is doing all of the wedge work that I need.

A Tenicor does not block the safety, but like most holsters can easily be made to do so for the cost of a Bic lighter. JM will, as a custom option, mold a 1911 holster to trap the safety (or at least Tony offered that option last I knew), but then you're giving up quick ship if you otherwise would have qualified for it. I have JM holsters with that option and also one where I forgot it and just did it myself with the lighter.

Another vote for Tenicor, though I've a number of JM products and am a fan of Tony's work. The Tenicor Malus Sol for my Staccato P 2011 is excellent.
    "When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

Site Supporter
    I went ahead and ordered a certum. Usually I prefer slightly wider clip spacing, but everything else about the holster is just right.

I’m sure I’ll end up with a JMCK AIWB or a Keeper at some point anyway!

My commander sized 1911 has lived in the Tenicor Certum 3 for many years now.
    KSG Armory also made one for me, which is very adaptable, but not as good as the Tenicor. It hides the gun well.

Name:  20220311_130019.jpg
Views: 357
Size:  33.9 KB

Name:  20220825_061843.jpg
Views: 355
Size:  22.1 KB
    "... And miles to go before I sleep".

Quote Originally Posted by Hstanton1 View Post
    Will either manufacturer effectively block the thumb safety? I know both cover it, and the gun I’m looking at has a single sided safety, but I’d prefer pretty tight blocking around the safety.
    I'm always skeptical of this feature, or even the desire for this feature. My safety, either on or off, merely pushes sweat shields out of the way, and doesn't move either on or off.

Have you ever noticed how many different thumb safety designs are used in the 1911 world. It seems to me it would be nearly impossible for a holster maker to produce a sweat shield thumb safety divot that would match your particular thumb safety, unless they had your gun in hand to mold the sweat shield to your particular gun.
    Last edited by JTQ; 10-01-2023 at 06:05 PM.

Site Supporter
    I like the tenicor holsters but I don't like the version with the built in wedge. I found I still needed to add more for it to be comfortable and I like to use more of a junk pillow style for AIWB. The JRC AIWB was the most comfortable I had found, but I don't have any versions for a red dot gun and that is all I carry these days.

Quote Originally Posted by CSW View Post
    My commander sized 1911 has lived in the Tenicor Certum 3 for many years now.
    KSG Armory also made one for me, which is very adaptable, but not as good as the Tenicor. It hides the gun well.

Name:  20220311_130019.jpg
Views: 357
Size:  33.9 KB

Name:  20220825_061843.jpg
Views: 355
Size:  22.1 KB
    What is your belt of choice?

Quote Originally Posted by KneeShot View Post
    What is your belt of choice?

I use the mastermind Tactics belt.
    "... And miles to go before I sleep".

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JTQ View Post
    I'm always skeptical of this feature, or even the desire for this feature. My safety, either on or off, merely pushes sweat shields out of the way, and doesn't move either on or off.

Have you ever noticed how many different thumb safety designs are used in the 1911 world. It seems to me it would be nearly impossible for a holster maker to produce a sweat shield thumb safety divot that would match your particular thumb safety, unless they had your gun in hand to mold the sweat shield to your particular gun.
    Well, I can’t speak to what molds work with what guns, but I can definitely see the need for molding in the sweatguard that, at the very least, shields the thumb safety and preferably traps it.

User Tag List