Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Pic of your favorite Glock

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Malamute View Post
    Is there a recommended service interval for changing the spring assembly and oil changes in older glocks?

I cant remember if I ever put a spring in mine. I shot it some in 06 and for few a few years when ammo was pretty cheap, but not much in the past 10-12 years or so.
    FatDog provided good advice.

My opinion: there is not a gun in existence that I would knowingly shoot past 5,000 rounds without changing the recoil spring under normal circumstances. I keep multiple spares on hand for guns I shoot with any frequency. Recoil springs are cheap, and replacing it protects the rest of the gun.
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

Site Supporter
    ^^^ Thanks, thats more than I knew.

Im vaguely recalling I may have put a recoil spring in it since it was used when i got it in 06, though it looked almost unfired.
    There’s a test that is said to show if the RSA is still in good order, or has weakened to the point of being advisable to change:

1 - Clear the gun. (Duh)

2 - Point straight up in shooting grip.

3 - Draw the slide back just far enough to partially unlock the barrel, but not much further. About as far as it takes to be able to pull down the disassembly tabs, IIRC. (Don’t pull down the disassembly tabs - that’s just to show how far back to pull the slide)

4 - gently release the slide. if it moves forward and re-locks, the spring is okay. If it hangs up and doesn’t fully close, it needs replacing. Or you have a janky, nasty, dirty neglected whore of a Glock that needs cleaning and lubing before you check this again.

All that is if I am remembering the process correctly. Someone smarter than me on Glocks posted words to that effect some time back, and it made sense to me.

Or you could just change it every 5k. They only cost like $20/ea.

My issued (at the time) duty G19.2 which, along with Federal 124 +p+ Hydra Shok, saved my bacon during a traffic stop on a beautiful Fall afternoon almost 24 years ago. It involved a felon high on Heroin and Cocaine that had no intention of going back.
    I acquired the pistol a few years later when our department switched to and issued the G23.3 platform, and I upgraded it with a G19.3 frame and a Boresight Solutions grip modification.
    It still runs like a top, as seen last week with my daughter.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Quote Originally Posted by Duelist View Post
    There’s a test that is said to show if the RSA is still in good order, or has weakened to the point of being advisable to change:

^^^What I learned was very similar: Clear gun. Point up and depress the trigger. Retract slide all the way to reset the trigger and simulate cycling, while holding the trigger back. Let slide come back slowly and under control until it begins lock up. See if gun locks up under RSA tension from there while trigger held back and barrel full vertical.

Interestingly enough, a G17 will do this through cases of ammo. More interestingly, a G36 in .45acp will no longer do this after 3-400 rounds of ammo, IME. I’m thinking that this might go a ways towards explaining why the G36 has a rep for being the complete fuck up child in our happy Glock family.

[/shrug]
    Last edited by Totem Polar; 09-30-2023 at 03:07 PM.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    I really wanted to like the G26/27 frame size guns. Many things about them were right, unfortunately I just never could shoot them very well with my size xl hands. Even with the GAP plates, I could just not make it work, and always defaulted to a G19 as the smallest practical working gun for me. Cool guns though.

Is there a recommended service interval for changing the spring assembly and oil changes in older glocks?

I cant remember if I ever put a spring in mine. I shot it some in 06 and for few a few years when ammo was pretty cheap, but not much in the past 10-12 years or so.

This is a super short video and gets right to the point.

Different generations can be different…

Quote Originally Posted by Lost River View Post
    This is a super short video and gets right to the point.

That is a good video, but it addresses the earlier single spring Glocks- generations 1-3. We have worked with the 4th&5th generations for years now, and it’s my opinion the dual spring guns can typically be run a bit longer-say 7,500+rounds or a bit more. I also believe that how the gun is run contributes to spring life. A heavy training session like hundreds of rounds a day can build up heat, and that can weaken recoil springs. We’ve changed springs on 4s&5s before 10,000 rounds with no issues I can recall.
    OTOH, I’ve spoken with instructors in LE and the US military, who have had failures after ~16,000 rounds(!). That is too much, I think(and I gave them a spring from my spares). I’d stick with the 5,000 round recommendation for the earlier generations. And I will change a 43 spring earlier, like 3-5,000 rounds for my piece of mind with the little setup.
    And, Stoeger notwithstanding, I’ll clean and oil w/5 or 6 drops of lube my carry guns before 2,000 rounds-but that’s me. The factory recommends a detail strip, etc., yearly, unless the piece gets in salt water. That is from a recent Armorer course for LE. Many folks here probably shoot a lot more than the average officer/agent.
    Back on topic, I’ll threaten to post a favorite here soon…

Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
    This is my favorite Glock

Attachment 110038
    Between being on call and all the dry firing he is doing to transition to a LO 2011, I assume YVK attached the wrong photo. He meant to attach a picture of his G4 26 with a 407CO that he has carried almost daily for the last five years. Instead, he attached a photo of his HK that has no dot, but does have two separate trigger jobs each of which cost more than a Glock. The last time he carried that P30, my wife asked if he was excited to see her.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Name:  IMG_8867.jpg
Views: 525
Size:  76.1 KB

The only Glock I have left.
    My first issued duty gun, a Gen 3 RTF2 G22, that I bought back when we went to Gen4.

Due to unforeseen circumstances, I may be buying another Glock after going all in on M&P’s.

Quote Originally Posted by Vista461 View Post
    Due to unforeseen circumstances, I may be buying another Glock after going all in on M&P’s.
    Can you elaborate if you don’t mind my asking? Any issues with the M&P’s?

User Tag List