Thread: Any experience with LEP?

Any experience with LEP?

https://countycomm.com/search?q=LEP

Saw these LEP (Laser Excited Phosphor) lights recently and was curious if anyone here knows anything about the technology. Sounds like a neat option for a small light with crazy long throw, but I don’t know what I don’t know.

Site Supporter
    It is interesting enough that ai would like to give one of these lights a try.

The beam is likely too narrow to be useful for defensive light purposes, but could be really useful if one needs to see what is going outside in the dark without shining light in the neighbor’s windows.

The user interface is not great for a defensive light but appears good for a utilitarian light.

I will need to educate myself on the actual technology.
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

I believe @TCB has tried out some Z-Bolts while on duty, and found that their lack of spill wasn't worth the huge throw they had. They were last discussed here: https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....0-000-Candela-!

TFB has done reviews on the Z-Bolts and Weltool WMLs, and Atibal (probably just a rebranded Weltool, IIRC) and Olight also have LEP WML components. General consensus seems to be that they're pretty useful if you're going to be doing magnified shooting with an optic at night using white light, but are not very useful outside of that niche.

LEPs are a pretty well known technology, and have also seen use in the automotive industry for lighting, such on light bars by Baja Designs or in headlights with BMW in Europe (LEPs are not legal in the USA for automotive lighting on the road, IIRC).

Yup, one of my buddies had one and we took it all over the place in our AOR and tested it out. The throw is pretty impressive. The lack of spill was an issue for us as we got less visual information at most distances where flashlights are used / useful when searching for people out in the world. At distance the ZBolt was amazing but…lighting someone up at 400-500 yards with white light doesn’t really do me any good, in a situation like thermal is the tool of choice. I could see it being used in conjunction with a variable optic on a rifle but…using white light for distance shooting out past 2-300? At night? Is that even a thing? A clip on wound be the correct tool for that. The ZBolt came with some filters but they didn’t give us the spill we were looking for, if they could figure that out I’d have been all in on them.

@TCB

Thank you!

A guy at work bought one and I started looking into LEPs.

I ended up trying a zoom LED instead, very cheap, just to mess with the technology.

Convoy Z1, plus battery and charger, was about $60.

I'm not sure if there is a weapon/tactical grade zoom LED, but it seems like a reasonable way to tailor a rifle light for throw or spill.

Review:
    https://tgreviews.com/2021/08/14/gri...ter-8a-driver/

Convoy Z1 I bought:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0C9C...UWR8NKE2&psc=1

I think there's a lot of promise in LEP tech, but I don't think it's mature yet. I expect we will see more useful LEP based lights soon, probably using purpose-built optics.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

I use it on my AR I have in the house for coyotes. I only have 250 yards I can see before it goes to woods where I cannot get a shot. I have 1 kill with it with 3 attempts. The other 2 we not flashlights fault. I like it for what I got it for

Site Supporter
    I'd like to fiddle with them, especially if there's a user-swappable/adjustable reflector to get some spill as desired while retaining the throw.

Maybe end of the year, but it's an honest curiosity experiment where I'll probably move on after I see some things in person.

Far Upper Midwest. Lower Midwest When I Absolutely Have To
    The reaction I get when I go to the CountyComm website appears to be similar to what my wife experiences when she walks into a shoe store.
    Working diligently to enlarge my group size.

User Tag List