Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Defensive ammo for an esoteric caliber?

Defensive ammo for an esoteric caliber?

I have a question for the brain trust here. I recently purchased a Dan Wesson in Super 38 that would like to carry at times. I was shocked to realize that none of the major ammunition manufacturers load anything but ball ammo for 38 super now. The only exception seems to be the AE 115 jhp load, but the ballistics of it are like they just dumped the old 9BP load in a Super case!
    So I find myself stuck in the realm of “boutique “ ammo manufacturers, ie Buffalo Bore, Double Tap, Underwood, CorBon etc… The only one I have used enough to justify any confidence in would be CorBon, but most of my experience with them was in the 90s and early 2000s. I understand that they may not be the same organization since the Pi family left. Am I missing any good options or does anyone have any substantial experience (at least in the thousands of rounds) with any of these guys? Thanks!

Site Supporter
    Have you checked AmmoSeek? It aggregates data from a bunch of vendors. If someone has a defensive load on the market at any sort of reasonable production level, AmmoSeek would probably pick it up. I've never owned a 38 Super and don't know of any loads off hand. I think you get some hipster points though.

Sent from my moto g power (2021) using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    I would have sworn that I had seen Sig V Crown in .38 super. Turns out I did: https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1019076141?pid=700434

Discontinued.

I don't think you are missing anything, the majors mostly dropped it before the pandemic. I remember a Winchester Silvertip load years ago.
    Support the Second Amendment Foundation and the Firearms Policy Coalition, join and give!

One of the reasons I did not get a 1911 in .38 Super is that reloading is pretty much a given.

So, I went with a 9 instead.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

If I were looking for a defensive load in .38 Super, I'd go with the Wilson Combat loading of a 124GR, Hornady XTP bullet. They advertise it as a 1335 fps round.
    -All views expressed are those of the author and do not reflect those of the author's employer-

Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post
    One of the reasons I did not get a 1911 in .38 Super is that reloading is pretty much a given.

So, I went with a 9 instead.
    Yeah, I own a dozen 9s and t I’m not going to handload my defense ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by FNFAN View Post
    If I were looking for a defensive load in .38 Super, I'd go with the Wilson Combat loading of a 124GR, Hornady XTP bullet. They advertise it as a 1335 fps round.
    I forgot Wilson loaded for it. Thank you!

User Tag List