Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Looks Like I'm Done with .357 Magnum as a Carry Round

Quote Originally Posted by Salamander View Post
    Today was bi-annual CCW renewal range qual day. In California we need to qualify with each handgun we wish to list on our permit, and in this county we're allowed up to six. One more way to make things as difficult as possible, but that's for some other thread.

Is the gun limit by serial number? Or model number?

What if I have two identical semi auto carry guns? One primary and one I use for practice? Does that count as 2 out of the 6 max?

Quote Originally Posted by shootist26 View Post
    Is the gun limit by serial number? Or model number?

What if I have two identical semi auto carry guns? One primary and one I use for practice? Does that count as 2 out of the 6 max?
    By serial number. So yeah, two identical pistols = two of the permit slots. When something is added to the permit for the first time, we need to make an appointment with the county Sheriff, and they physically check the serial numbers (state requirement). I actually don't mind that because it's a good way to strengthen relationships with local LE over time. But then I'm not that far away, it's probably a hassle for someone in a remote corner of a county to get there. (I do need to drive to Oregon next May when that state permit rolls over... yes, they issue to residents of adjacent/contiguous states and I do already spend lots of time there... renewals are in person but there are otherwise few restrictions and I can carry any otherwise legal handgun on that side of the state line. Same in most of the 35 states my various permits cover.)

Note that each of the 58 CA counties sets the number of guns allowed. The state sets most of the requirements but actual issuance is by each county, and they control some details. Here it's six, but in many counties it's three, that was the default number of spaces provided on the state paperwork back when we used to actually use paper, so a county kind of needs to make a conscious decision to do more than that. Best thing is to read the fine print on the relevant county Sheriff's CCW web site page, a few counties may have more or less.

If anyone is on the edge of applying, do it soon. Right now it's shall issue and easier than it's been in a while, but some of the recently signed new CA laws will make it harder if/when they fully take effect. CRPA has already filed suit and the Bruen decision bodes well for the future, but the legal process can be lengthy.
    Last edited by Salamander; 10-08-2023 at 02:58 AM.

Seems no one has mentioned 125gr.

If memory serves, wasn't that the 'manstopper' the law enforcement community made a pet load?

I rarely shoot my 357 anymore, a Ruger Security Six, 717, in the stainless variety....2.75" barrel.

I can do it, I might not enjoy it, but I can do it.

Fired a box of these:

https://www.federalpremium.com/handg...11-PD38P1.html

out of my Taurus 856 3". It wasn't bad at all.
    "... And miles to go before I sleep".

Quote Originally Posted by CSW View Post
    Seems no one has mentioned 125gr.

If memory serves, wasn't that the 'manstopper' the law enforcement community made a pet load?

I rarely shoot my 357 anymore, a Ruger Security Six, 717, in the stainless variety....2.75" barrel.

I can do it, I might not enjoy it, but I can do it.

Fired a box of these:

https://www.federalpremium.com/handg...11-PD38P1.html

out of my Taurus 856 3". It wasn't bad at all.
    Yes, the 125-grain .357 Magnum JHP was quite the lightning bolt, for LE, back in the day, but it was not the bullet weight, alone, was that was the magic ingredient. The 125-grain bullet weight enabled the significant 1400+ f.p.s. velocity, which is MOVING, and, then the flash and blast, and the physical shock wave would come into play. I believe that DB is correct when he said words to the effect that much of the 125-grain .357 Mag’s stopping effect was psychological, especially if fired from snub-length to 4” barrels; NOBODY wants that to go off in their face again.

Not that the 125-grain .357 Mag does not do significant damage. I recall reading about a case in which investigators mistook an entrance wound for an exit wound. Perhaps it was an article written by @Mas Ayoob. I fired one 125-grain .357 Magnum Federal Premium Hi-Shok (not Hydra-Shok) in the line of duty, and it made the largest handgun bullet entrance wound that I had seen, before or since, in my 33+ years of big-city LEO-ing. Notably, flash retardant was being loaded into premium duty ammo by that time, mid-1993, but bullets were not yet bonded-core, so my bullet went to pieces, inside my attacker. (Fragmentation worked very well, in my favor, in my specific case.)

When I lit-up the range, at the Snubby Summit, in 2005, during a live-fire mini-class being taught by Micael de Bethencourt, using my 125-grain .357 Mag, from a 2.25” SP101, everyone noticed. Because it was the lower-cost training ammo, there was no flash retardant in the powder, so, in was like the Eighties’ shock and awe stuff. I had trained myself to ignore it.

I am not being critical of the Federal Punch ammo in the the posted link. I simply have no basis upon which to form a specific opinion. I would have no problems using this Federal Punch ammo for defensive carry, if I suddenly needed fresh ammo, and that was what I could get. I tend to select ammo that has an established track record, if I can get it, and otherwise, am relatively content any premium load form a well-established manufacturer, if it shoots relatively near point-of-aim in my guns. (My relatively-light-bullet .38 +P ammo preference is Speer Short-Barrel 135-grain, which, IIRC, has a very good track record with NYC PD and Transit police.)
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

To clarify my above post, a bit, I did not mean to imply that defensive bullets, that fragment, are a good thing. As bonded-core bullet, that holds together, is going to behave more predictably inside a human attacker. The “secondary missiles,” that result during fragmentation, can enhance the wounding effect, but, depending upon what needs to be penetrated, and how deeply, can impede the desired effect.
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

Not sure if this will be of any use, but-

I shoot a fair amount of 38 and 357 through a model 19, though mostly reloads.
    If the .357 mags are a little much, I would suggest using .38 +p. Longshot powder under a 125 grain XTP has been amazing for me and a buddy of mine through revolvers and Rossi 92s.
    It’s ended several hogs and is still easy to train with. I’m not sure what the policy is for posting load data that is over what the manual states, but I’d be happy to share with folks if it’s OK.
    Name:  IMG_2647.jpg
Views: 297
Size:  56.6 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Rex G View Post
    Yes, the 125-grain .357 Magnum JHP was quite the lightning bolt, for LE, back in the day, but it was not the bullet weight, alone, was that was the magic ingredient.
    I was talking to a competition shooter, initials R.V., who is also a LEO and he mentioned that they carries a 340PD, left-side pocket, loaded with 125gr Hornandy Critical Defense Magnums. His reasoning being it should be a one-shot affair if using the left hand at contact distance... If not, a 125 mag is better than not-a-mag...

I can dig that reasoning...

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Sal Picante View Post
    I was talking to a competition shooter, initials R.V., who is also a LEO and he mentioned that they carries a 340PD, left-side pocket, loaded with 125gr Hornandy Critical Defense Magnums. His reasoning being it should be a one-shot affair if using the left hand at contact distance... If not, a 125 mag is better than not-a-mag...

I can dig that reasoning...
    He wouldn't happen to be a Border Patrolman & a PPC Shooter, would he?

Quote Originally Posted by mikey357 View Post
    He wouldn't happen to be a Border Patrolman & a PPC Shooter, would he?
    Nope - though that one is a great dude! The one I'm referring to is from Ohio and has a German-sounding last name.

While I love my 686 (purchased mid 1980's) and my Model 66 but I rarely shoot .357 mags any longer, or if I do I load 158's at around 950-1000 fps.
    I shoot way more .38 spls at around 750-800 fps.

In my youth I pushed .357 and .44 mags as far as I dared, but that's long past for me now. I'm in the OMG (old man gun) phase of life now. And quite happy with my .38 spl loads.
    As a matter of fact I'll be shooing my Model 15 and (new to me) Model 67 this afternoon.

I believe it was @Rex G above that mentioned the 125 gr .357's.
    They were like a Flash-Bang with a bullet back in the day.

I think I've posted these photos before.
    1987.Night time, 686 with either Federal or Remington 125 gr .357. Camera on a tripod with 1000 speed film iirc.
    It'd make you see spots before your eyes!

Name:  night shot muzzle blast 357 mag 686 2.jpg
Views: 204
Size:  27.0 KB

My apologies. I don't know how to rotate the below into the correct orientation. But you get the idea.
    Name:  night shot muzzle blast 357 mag 686 4.jpg
Views: 204
Size:  20.5 KB

Yeah, I'll stick with .38 spls.

User Tag List