Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Looks Like I'm Done with .357 Magnum as a Carry Round

Site Supporter

Looks Like I'm Done with .357 Magnum as a Carry Round

I finally got my 4" M19-3 back in operating condition. All my other K frames are .38s, so I've been shooting .38 Special for probably the last ten years. I decided to see how much difference there was shooting full-power Mags through the gun. I used some Federal AE 158-grain JSPs that I had overpaid for when Federal was offering ammo online during COVID-19.

One of my favorite drills is the Five-Yard Roundup. I usually score in the low-to-mid 90s, well within the time limits. My score with the Magnum ammo was 92, but I was outside the 2.5-second time limit on the second and third strings (four rounds from the ready freestyle, and three rounds from ready SHO). Bah...fargin' timer... The issue was recovering from recoil.

I could probably get back to where I could handle the additional recoil, but at 71, I'm not sure the juice would be worth that squeeze. I could go to either Golden Sabre or Hornady Critical Duty with their reduced recoil, but their availability is usually spotty though they're both available now, and then I'd have to create a practice load just for the M19. I'm definitely not going to use the full-power 125s that prematurely wore out guns of my 19's vintage. Looks like I'll stick with the same R-P version of the FBI load that I'm using in my other K frames, along with the practice handloads for them.
    "Everything in life is really simple, provided you don’t know a f—–g thing about it." - Kevin D. Williamson

I have two model 19's. I load the 357 brass with 4.5 grains of mystery powder to simulate a stout 38 load. I'm older than you are by a few years. The 19 is just a K frame on steroids anyway. I bought a model 28 for 357 full house loads, shot it some with those mothers, and decided I like the reduced loads better even in that tank. It's like riding in a 58 Cadillac.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

For a low recoiling load in 4” .357 the Underwood .38 Special pushes a 125gr Hornady XTP bullet at 1250 fps, which is the sweet spot for expansion/penetration and low recoil. They used to load the Gold Dot 125’s but have gone to Hornady projectiles.
    -All views expressed are those of the author and do not reflect those of the author's employer-

Site Supporter
    If I were going to go with something from a boutique brand, it’d be the Buffalo Bore 38+P 158 grain LSWC HP. It supposedly goes over 1100 fps from a 4” barrel.
    "Everything in life is really simple, provided you don’t know a f—–g thing about it." - Kevin D. Williamson

Quote Originally Posted by revchuck38 View Post
    ...Buffalo Bore 38+P 158 grain LSWC HP. It supposedly goes over 1100 fps from a 4” barrel.
    Did in my first 4" Model 10 and a Colt Police Positive Special.

Seems prudent.

Out of curiosity,did you try that drill with .38s?
    On the ragged edge of the world I'll roam,
    And the home of the wolf shall be my home - Robert Service

Im going to hold out with magnums a while longer. So long as I can shoot them reasonably well, the split times are of less interest than the effect of hits.

I have a small supply of the rem 158 sjhp loads, probably enough to last me until I dont want to shoot them any more.

So far I havent shot anything with 357s that got up and ran off, I have shot various things with other loads that have gotten up and run off. Not a vast number of examples, but the difference is very pronounced. As with 44s and 45s with large flat point bullets, the 357 works pretty well on live stuff.
    “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

Folks:

What the revolver world needs is a decent option for a load in 357 magnum brass. Something like the 147 grain Speer Gold Dot G2 at an honest 1050 feet per second out of a four inch barrel. I love my full power magnums, but they tend to beat up "K" frame guns and require a fair amount of practice to master and maintain decent control with. I think the Speer Short barrel 135 grain Gold Dot load is great, but it is harder to find than the 38 Special version of that load. I am not sure it typically hits to the sights on fixed sight guns either. A 145/147 grain load would work with factory fixed sights that were regulated for 158 grain bullets. This would be a significant step up from 38 Special Plus P but not full power magnum ammo. If I am allowed to add to that wish list the load would be made available through fairly common ammo brands such as American Eagle etc.

I am going to have to consult with Lost River on this. He has some pretty effective 357 loads from what I have seen.

Cheers,

Bruce
    Bruce Cartwright
    Owner & chief instructor-SAC Tactical
    E-mail: "info@saconsco.com"

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Cartwright View Post
    Folks:

What the revolver world needs is a decent option for a load in 357 magnum brass. Something like the 147 grain Speer Gold Dot G2 at an honest 1050 feet per second out of a four inch barrel. I love my full power magnums, but they tend to beat up "K" frame guns and require a fair amount of practice to master and maintain decent control with. I think the Speer Short barrel 135 grain Gold Dot load is great, but it is harder to find than the 38 Special version of that load. I am not sure it typically hits to the sights on fixed sight guns either. A 145/147 grain load would work with factory fixed sights that were regulated for 158 grain bullets. This would be a significant step up from 38 Special Plus P but not full power magnum ammo. If I am allowed to add to that wish list the load would be made available through fairly common ammo brands such as American Eagle etc.

I am going to have to consult with Lost River on this. He has some pretty effective 357 loads from what I have seen.

Cheers,

Bruce
    How about a 147gr HST at 1275? I get 1180fps from my 2.75" m66

I've also had good luck with 140gr xtps fired at 1150fps and 1650(iirc)

User Tag List